GS ignition barrell replacement
  • Register
  • Help

Default GS ignition barrell replacement

Lost my keys to the GS in the last 24 hours, spent 3 hours searching and it's booked in for work tomorrow morning.
    So the simplest solution would appear to be swapping the barrel out of the parts car but I can't find instructions in Haynes or Russek or online as to how to remove it. Found refs online to remove two bolts below the upper switch panel and two bolts under the dash - done this but what else has to be done? Read I have to remove the steering wheel. Anyone know how?
    Thanks

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bruce is this link any help?
    French Car Forum ? View topic - Ignition barrel

Sorry to hear your predicament. Hope the set of keys surfaces. I think I'd roll the service booking and keep looking. Eventually hopefully like cream the old keys will rise

John

Thanks John
    By torchlight I worked out how to get the section that your link has the 3 photos of out of the spare, but for the minute I can't see how to get the barrel out of it. Suppose I don't have to, just swap across the whole unit. Tight fit getting it out, so I'm not so sure how I'll get it back in again.
    Time for dinner, then back out to tackle the car I'm trying to start.
    Think I must have dropped the keys in the street or the yard somewhere - had a spare door key, but the other ignition key snapped and I never got a replacement - wish I had a spare key to the locking fuel cap
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Might sound silly, but I have been known to leave keys in pants pockets and find them a couple of days later when I'm ready to do a wash.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Isn't there a "security" screw holding the ignition switch in place? Its head will look like a cone, as the hex head breaks off when fitting. You'll need to cut a groove in the cone and use a screwdriver to undo it.

Fellow Frogger!

My empathy...issues with lockable GS fuel cap are very unsettling! Ours can be sticky to unlock sometimes. Standing next to the bowser unable to get it open is a real sinking feeling.

Comparing notes with Sparkey and digressing his GS has a very nice lockable fuel cap with double chevrons in the middle, stainless steel on the outer. How many versions of these lockable caps are there and did they come as original equipment?

John

Don't know how many, John. I have two different types, and I've seen another lockable cap in an accessory brochure.
    All back together again with a different ignition switch, less one bolt that I just can't reach. Will ask the mechanic tomorrow to try to redo it.
    Finally getting the rear arm bearings done tomorrow, hopefully, though I still haven't been able to source a couple of seals. Will have to take the car to a locksmith to get the fuel cap off.

And to hotrod - I've checked the clothes, the washing machine, the bins, everywhere I usually put down keys, walked around the street, the yard, around the house, back and forth through the garage.... spent around 3 hours doing nothing but look for keys......I still hope they might show up somewhere.

We've had a few opportunistic burglaries in the area lately, so if I did drop them on the footpath or road they've probably gone, but the thief will have a puzzle working out which car they fit.
    Last edited by Bruce H; 3rd March 2014 at 01:00 AM.
    Bruce H

Hi Bruce,
    If it is the flat stainless steel locking fuel cap then I can send you a spare key.

Just PM me your address and I'll put in in the mail.
    Cheers Andrew

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post

And to hotrod - I've checked the clothes, the washing machine, the bins, everywhere I usually put down keys, walked around the street, the yard, around the house, back and forth through the garage.... spent around 3 hours doing nothing but look for keys......I still hope they might show up somewhere.

We've had a few opportunistic burglaries in the area lately, so if I did drop them on the footpath or road they've probably gone, but the thief will have a puzzle working out which car they fit.
    Yah, I get you, and it is maddening. I've done things like mindlessly throw the keys into my toolbox out in the shed and then
    promptly forget that's where I put them for the entire weekend.

The one lucky thing is the GS doesn't use RFID keys - those buggers are expensive. That point was driven home the hard way a few years back.

I do hope you find them.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thanks Andrew, but it's a black plastic covered cap. I've asked the mechanic to get a locksmith to open it for me.
    I've learnt my lesson about making sure I always have a spare key for everything.
    Bruce H

Fellow Frogger!

In the interest of GS "scholarship" here's the lockable fuel cap on our GS Break.

Should have got a shot of Sparkeys cap where the middle of the cap is dark grey/black in colour with double chevrons when he was here Sat. In my defence I was FIXed by that stage by the Greek beer FIXGS ignition barrell replacement-imageuploadedbyaussie-frogs1393815061.650481.jpg

This is the type J'aime la vie, but appears to be out of stock:
    Fuel filler cap GS inox, with two keys (Citroen accessoirie) - Französische Klassiker - Onlineshop
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

I'd post a photo of my black fuel cap (which I think is possibly a non-Citroen item as it was originally on the euro-delivery wagon I have) but the car is still at the mechanics (along with its latest sibling, another Xantia).
    Apparently the right rear suspension arm was worse than the left (which seems to defy logic, and I don't recall ever getting the left fixed before) but the mechanic did manage to source the seal I hadn't been able to get from Germany.
    Anyone else would look at the 5 GSs in the back yard and think the place looked crowded, but with one car less there and a space in the garage to me the place looks empty.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

I found the keys today, halfway down the clothes peg basket.
    Pulling the ignition out of the parts car (gold Pallas) has at least got me motivated to start pulling the rest of it apart - spent a chunk of the day disassembling much of the interior - now just have to find somewhere to put it all.
    Bruce H

Fellow Frogger!

Solution Bruce: Go au natural !!!

Here's another style - not the one fitted to any of my cars:Tappo Carburante Citroen GS GSX CX | eBay
    Bruce H

Thread Information