• 2 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By IThompson
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: The Electric Traction

Default The Electric Traction

See attached Pictures....
    It's a Silver 1955 LHD Normale (the equivalent of the "Big 15").
    It has been restored and the engine has been replaced with an electric motor (don't know the power output!).

As you can see from the photo's the new motor has been directly connected to the original 3 Speed TA Gearbox and drive train.

You can't change gear whilst on the move as the gear is fixed before you start. Fr a really steep hill you would stop, engage first gear then move forwards (or backwards, remember its electric!). For a really, really steep hill engage reverse and drive forwards!

Obviously the vehicle is silent when moving.

The acceleration and braking has not been tried "to determine the edge of the performance envelope" however remember that the power unit can perform both acceleration and braking.

In the engine bay you see some of the batteries, with the motor just visible under the aluminium plate. You also see the 12 volt outlet to which the "normal" vehicle electrics will be fed from.

Power supply to the engine from the boot mounted batteries is via 2 cables running through the inner sill.

Photo's of the boot show the batteries in a stainless steel battery holder, which replaces the petrol tank.
    The device in the rear valance is the charging unit which manages the batteries and provides an external connection for recharging.

Recharge time isn't known, range understood to be 100 miles between recharges.

Advertisement

The project is being run by an Electric Car Enthusiast, based in the South of England.

Regards
    Mick
    The Electric Traction-cimg6452s.jpgThe Electric Traction-cimg6441-s.jpgThe Electric Traction-cimg6444s.jpgThe Electric Traction-cimg6442-s.jpgThe Electric Traction-cimg6454s.jpgThe Electric Traction-cimg6450s.jpgThe Electric Traction-cimg6443s.jpgThe Electric Traction-cimg6445s.jpg
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=mpopka;1235237]See attached Pictures....
    It's a Silver 1955 LHD Normale (the equivalent of the "Big 15").
    It has been restored and the engine has been replaced with an electric motor (don't know the power output!).

As you can see from the photo's the new motor has been directly connected to the original 3 Speed TA Gearbox and drive train.

You can't change gear whilst on the move as the gear is fixed before you start. Fr a really steep hill you would stop, engage first gear then move forwards (or backwards, remember its electric!). For a really, really steep hill engage reverse and drive forwards!

Obviously the vehicle is silent when moving.

The acceleration and braking has not been tried "to determine the edge of the performance envelope" however remember that the power unit can perform both acceleration and braking.

In the engine bay you see some of the batteries, with the motor just visible under the aluminium plate. You also see the 12 volt outlet to which the "normal" vehicle electrics will be fed from.

Power supply to the engine from the boot mounted batteries is via 2 cables running through the inner sill.

Photo's of the boot show the batteries in a stainless steel battery holder, which replaces the petrol tank.
    The device in the rear valance is the charging unit which manages the batteries and provides an external connection for recharging.

Recharge time isn't known, range understood to be 100 miles between recharges.

The project is being run by an Electric Car Enthusiast, based in the South of England.

Regards
    Mick
    QUOTE]

If he had left it alone he would have had 250 + mile range, and something of value.
    roger

Fellow Frogger!

I know tractions only had rudimentary cabin heating, but without any heat soak from the engine bay it would be an icebox in an UK Winter.

Richard

Why do this?
    It destroys the whole concept of driving an antique motor car!
    Cheers Gerry

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Why do this?
    It destroys the whole concept of driving an antique motor car!
    He probably started off with a beat-to-hell bodyshell. Not my cup o' tea, but this is the same style of attitude as building a hotrod. The owner built something for himself, probably had some fun doing it, and personally I would like to see more of it as it progresses. In fact, some 'before' pics wouldn't be amiss if there are any.

I honestly don't get why this is seen as offensive.
    addo and Jinandfonic like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I think it is a cool project.
    I drive an Renault 12. I have to admit part of the reason i chose an old car is because it is fairly unique.

This guy is building a very unique car using his passion for electric vehicles.
    So good on him.

Mr Citroen was an innovator i think this project would make him smile.
    addo likes this.

Good on him - very interesting! Its what he 's interested in. Plenty of engine transplants and conversion always going on - even here!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    He probably started off with a beat-to-hell bodyshell. Not my cup o' tea, but this is the same style of attitude as building a hotrod. The owner built something for himself, probably had some fun doing it, and personally I would like to see more of it as it progresses. In fact, some 'before' pics wouldn't be amiss if there are any.

Yes, I agree. There is an all-electric Renault 4CV in Perth, built by one of our folk. It also has the motor driving through the three speed transaxle although he can change gears (must work the synchro hard as it will be spinning up the motor). It has been in daily use for several years now and has a range of 90 km within his self-imposed battery discharge limit.

In this case the car had been in the family since the 1950s. "Elektra" is a very welcome addition to our "family" of rear-engine Renaults in Perth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Electric Traction-business-end.jpg   The Electric Traction-img_0957.jpg  
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I absolutely love the wake-up call from HRE. So true! More so, considering this an era when once again we - by dint of popular automotive culture - are lurching vaguely towards a faux nostalgia (in the sense of recreating a past that never existed).
    ScotFrog and Jinandfonic like this.

1000+ Posts

I reckon it would be great for a lovely cruise from Melb. or Sydney or a cruise along the coast to Perth.

Take ???? days to arrive with no real option of where to stop or take a leisurely cruise along an unknown track along the way

If you had your life time to waste it would be okay! BUT if you did not it would be TOTALLY impractical.

Thank God we have choices in life & we are all different!

England's barely more than 50km from one end to the other, so it's ideal.
    STALLED likes this.

UFO

IIRC Citroen experimented with electric vehicles pre WW2 - something with a Rosalie body etc.

Anyway, electric conversions and Citroens are not that uncommon as we know. Here's a link to details and a vid of Ralph Hibble's 2CV ute in WA - but it has been discussed here before

Association of CitroŽn Enthusiasts

Good on the Traction owner for having a go. It's his car and he can do what he likes with it. Whether someone "takes offense" is just their way of overtly exclaiming their dislike of something. It gives them no greater authority of being right or wrong.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I don't see it as offensive Bill! I just wonder why bother? They are nice to drive as they are!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    England's barely more than 50km from one end to the other, so it's ideal.
    Not a large country.... Oddly enough, some of the people I know in England, through the company I work for, do far longer commutes than I do in Perth. They can live in villages outside the main towns and drive in. (OK, they might be a minority that can afford it and I've managed to live only 8 km from the CBD.) I suspect it isn't as different from Australia as we think, at least in commuting.

I'd add that I could do more than half of my driving distance over a year in an electric car with a range of 100 km. Probably 99% of individual trips. The exception is crazy drives across Australia in the R8.

The practical issue with the electric traction, I reckon, would be heater-demister in UK.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

There was a 'leccy Berlingo sold in the M49 and M59 versions; I've seen them even here.

So, were it a Commerciale, the application could be considered even more "appropriate".

1000+ Posts
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Fellow Frogger!

What a neat idea in the Dyane, he inserted two hair dryers in each of the cardboard air ducts... brilliant.

Wat about CERES in Melbourne

Electric Berlingo conversions in Melbourne
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I don't see it as offensive Bill! I just wonder why bother? They are nice to drive as they are!
    Maybe I overstated my case. Coming from a career that includes some very, well, I'll call it 'unique' ways of interpreting an
    automotive fancy, I've come to realize that with enough time, money and sweat you can build just about anything you want. The bother for something like this is, very simply, "why not?". The idea of an TA/EV appealed to them, and it's waaaay above my paygrade to tell them "Hey! You can't do that!".

You should see the late '30's Rolls Shooting Brake converted to an EV that was here in San Diego. That conversion was a magnificent work of art.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    IIRC, on that website there was also a DS21 in I think Canada that had been converted.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Yes, I agree. There is an all-electric Renault 4CV in Perth, built by one of our folk. It also has the motor driving through the three speed transaxle although he can change gears (must work the synchro hard as it will be spinning up the motor). It has been in daily use for several years now and has a range of 90 km within his self-imposed battery discharge limit.

In this case the car had been in the family since the 1950s. "Elektra" is a very welcome addition to our "family" of rear-engine Renaults in Perth.
    John, you might be familiar with a company called Henney, famous for their ambulance and hearse conversions. There were two Renault conversions they were well known for: the Kilowatt, which was based on the Dauphine, and the Lectric Leopard () which was based on the R5. Both sold in penny numbers. There were probably some other experiments by them on other Renault chassis, like the 12 or 16. They also messed a bit with the Fiat Ritmo/Strada as an electric car, but the less said of that, the better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Electric Traction-kilowatt-interior.jpg   The Electric Traction-henney-kilowatt.jpg   The Electric Traction-lectric-leopard.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

I believe the first reason we buy a car is the look and style, these cars are true to their original style and shape. They still represent the make they now have silent more efficient power plant and can be driven around crowded cities and allow people to see their beauty and style. I prefer my cars as they came out of the factory but even mine have newer technology fitted ie better spark plugs , brake materials etc. Not everybody has the ability to keep a classic true to the maker but these people are allowing their 50's and 60' cars to be seen .

Maybe I overstated my case. Coming from a career that includes some very, well, I'll call it 'unique' ways of interpreting an
    automotive fancy, I've come to realize that with enough time, money and sweat you can build just about anything you want. The bother for something like this is, very simply, "why not?". The idea of an TA/EV appealed to them, and it's waaaay above my paygrade to tell them "Hey! You can't do that!".

You should see the late '30's Rolls Shooting Brake converted to an EV that was here in San Diego. That conversion was a magnificent work of art.
    I am not going to tell them they can't do it either! I guess the answer is 'what ever rocks your boat'.
    Yes, one has to admire the ingenuity and workmanship in all kinds of odd ball projects!
    Cheers Gerry

and another!
    Citroen DS EV project

Thread Information