• Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 5 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By IE23
  • 1 Post By Peter O

Thread: Well I never...

Icon7 Well I never...

Working for a fellow with a 2CV in his shed, he told me the choke knob lights up, rather than a dash light.

Advertisement

Skeptical, I looked at it and went "nah, impossible. There's only one wire going in. It must light a globe on the dash." He demonstrated it, and I am convinced. Damn clever!
    Mort Subite likes this.

Damn Electrickery!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

JBN

It does on one of mine (which is original), but not on Daffy Duck. I replaced it with a standard choke cable on Raid 2008 as the original had seized up. My only problem is when I am feeling under the steering wheel to push the choke in, I sometimes hit the ignition on/off switch and cut the motor. I quickly realise my mistake and pull the ignition back on, usually to be rewarded with a backfire. Daffy Duck doesn't have a key start nor a steering lock. The last thing you want to find out in the bush is that you have lost your keys or the steering lock actuates inadvertently. Much easier to have a push/pull ignition switch and a starter button. No one is ever going to steal a bright yellow 2CV.

John

Banned

is that because of the colour, or something more fundamental?

Because the choke knob doesn't light up

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Working for a fellow with a 2CV in his shed, he told me the choke knob lights up, rather than a dash light.

Skeptical, I looked at it and went "nah, impossible. There's only one wire going in. It must light a globe on the dash." He demonstrated it, and I am convinced. Damn clever!
    Yah, I could explain that, but damn, I have to keep some sekrits.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I worked that one out because he showed me one taken off the car; globe replacement is very sneaky too.

Told him to hit Steve (citroenfan) with his carb questions - I haven't looked up the skirt of a carby for fifteen years.

JBN

I worked that one out because he showed me one taken off the car; globe replacement is very sneaky too.

Told him to hit Steve (citroenfan) with his carb questions - I haven't looked up the skirt of a carby for fifteen years.
    What are his 2CV carby problems? I've had most of them and ended up solving my nightmare by buying a new double throat carby. They are manufacturing the late model carbys (602cc disc brake models) in India. The quality control is a bit iffy, but if you score a chief rather than an indian, its all good. I was lucky and scored a chief.

John

My CX does that. He has probably installed a cable from a CX. There is a wire that clips to a contact built into the choke cable fixing behind the panel. When the choke knob is pulled out the contacts earth on the choke cable slide, down the cable wire, to the engine! Brilliantly simple!
    Cheers Gerry

Yah, pretty easy. The bulb doesn't care where it gets ground, just so long as there is a return path to battery.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

picture helps tell the story
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well I never...-dash.jpg  
    addo likes this.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    It does on one of mine (which is original), but not on Daffy Duck. I replaced it with a standard choke cable on Raid 2008 as the original had seized up. My only problem is when I am feeling under the steering wheel to push the choke in, I sometimes hit the ignition on/off switch and cut the motor. I quickly realise my mistake and pull the ignition back on, usually to be rewarded with a backfire. Daffy Duck doesn't have a key start nor a steering lock. The last thing you want to find out in the bush is that you have lost your keys or the steering lock actuates inadvertently. Much easier to have a push/pull ignition switch and a starter button. No one is ever going to steal a bright yellow 2CV.John

G'day,
    why not? They stole a mango...

Bowen's Big Mango attraction goes missing in north Queensland - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

On the 425 6volt ex La Poste AZUA we hace, the choke cable knob lights up, well it does when the cable is not broken anyway. Have been told that a possible replacement is from a Fiat 500 of the era. However while they may be freely available in Europe, they are somewhat scarce on the ground in Oz. Cable is quite a bit longer than for the later 425 and 602 cc engines and follows a somewhat circuitous route in engine bay.

Seems this also helped to function as a cabin light, as the 6volt interior light is somewhat lacking in illumination. The choke cable light is considerabley brighter, and being red does not affect night vision!

Well that is my story and I am sticking to it

Oh re the Fiat comment, cable broke in Cherbourg on way back to ship van to Aus from Southhampton. Did not have time to get a replacement cable then, but was given helpful advice re Fiat 500 cable. As emergency used spouse to stand in rain head under hood to hold choke while i started car. Let her in once running and as this worked have yet to getcable fixed. Must do so one day :-)
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

JBN

Yes, before the wife dissolves.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Yes, before the wife dissolves.
    In tears
    John
    in tears!

Fellow Frogger!

She is tough, from Brittany, so drizzle and rain is natural for her!

Yikes, she is reading over my shoulder - please put that down ....AARGH

Whimper :-((
    ScotFrog likes this.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    On the 425 6volt ex La Poste AZUA we hace, the choke cable knob lights up, well it does when the cable is not broken anyway. Have been told that a possible replacement is from a Fiat 500 of the era. However while they may be freely available in Europe, they are somewhat scarce on the ground in Oz. Cable is quite a bit longer than for the later 425 and 602 cc engines and follows a somewhat circuitous route in engine bay.

G'day,
    if it is just the knob you are after, the hazard switch on some VW kombis and Golfs, and others I suspect, has a light inside. It is a pull on knob affair.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post

G'day,
    if it is just the knob you are after, the hazard switch on some VW kombis and Golfs, and others I suspect, has a light inside. It is a pull on knob affair.
    Pull on knob affairs are often quite popular.

Fellow Frogger!

No the cable is snapped somewhere in the middle. Think I should be able to get it fixed, just a matter of getting a "round tuit" to fix!
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Because the choke knob doesn't light up
    love, love, love it... as sharp as lemon juice on a razor blade...

Icon6

No the cable is snapped somewhere in the middle. Think I should be able to get it fixed, just a matter of getting a "round tuit" to fix!

G'day,
    I had one of them once, but I think I lent it to someone.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post

G'day,
    I had one of them once, but I think I lent it to someone.
    No more excuses. Get with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well I never...-round_tuit_225quot_button.jpg  

Thread Information