• 1 Post By mnm
  • 1 Post By fritzelhund
  • 4 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By Bad Bertie
  • 2 Post By Big Frog

Thread: Upcoming Blue Slip 1970 D Special - tips

Icon6 Upcoming Blue Slip 1970 D Special - tips

Hi All,
    I will be taking a 1970 D Special for registration to NSW RMS, and was interested in any issues / mis-understandings / concerns by motor vehicle inspectors with what would be a rare car for them to inspect these days?
    Any war stories / advice etc is welcome, would like to be as prepared as possible!
    Happy to receive a PM if your info would be considered unsuitable for this public forum.
    cheers
    BF

Advertisement

mnm

Hello BF

if your 70 DSpecial is the same as mine the vin plate is screwed into the bulkhead. I was told this was not acceptable for the blue slip. Richo thankfully pointed out to me that the chassis number is stamped onto the lip that runs across the top of the engine bay, along the bottom of the windscreen... just in front of the right hand wiper arm, hiding under the rubber seal.

Matthew
    Big Frog likes this.

Make sure what ever old rego papers you have, that chassis numbers are the same as those on the car. if not, do not show them the paper work and tell them it got lost ages ago! If you bought the car from someone else make sure you got the details like chassis numbers and name and address from previous owner and your own details on the receipt ( this is useful when you front up at the RTA counter!)

I've done my share of screw ups on blue slips , and can reiterate the comments above, make sure the numbers are correct and easy to read.

Also, check out online if the vehicle has ever been classified a repairable write off.
    It is no hastle if it has, its just that you need to tick a box at the blue slip place that puts a few differences into the inspection.
    If like me you get to the RMS (RTA) and only then find out it has been previously listed, you'll have wasted your time and money and will need to do another inspection, this time with the frigging box ticked.

Good luck,
    Jo

Warn the inspector you will be demonstrating the cars hand brake with the front wheels on the rollers.
    tell them they're stupid?..

UFO

Be there when they try to jack the car up and show them the proper way that it is done with the engine running, stand in place etc.

Brake tests must be undertaken with the engine running. Warn the tester if they are doing a braking distance test that the brakes DO work very well for a rapid stop and that you don't want the imprint of their head on the inside of the windscreen.

There is play in the steering wheel when the engine is not running and pressure is down. The steering wheel arm does not sit at 6 o'clock position - it should be offset.

The rear indicators are at the rear edge of the roof - not next to the brake lights. Indicators will likely work best with the engine running (alternator providing a little extra oomph)

Help them do the light test so that the selection of low, high and driving lights selection is correct.

Check the bonnet is properly shut before driving away. That is clipped on both sides.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

And the indicators are NOT self cancelling.
    The "slack spot" in the steering is due to the heart shaped cam on the shaft. ( as above )...easily demonstrated.
    That little button on the floor does NOT control a master cylinder and a vacuum booster.
    There is NO brake fluid reservoir .. and the brake fluid isn't brake fluid..it is LHM and not soluble in water.
    There ARE front brakes.. just not inside the wheels.
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger

No, that's not a rust hole, just an extra factory drainage point!
    UFO, bluey504, STALLED and 1 others like this.

UFO

The parkbrake does not work on the rear wheels - it works on the front wheels.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I've done a few blue slips, not a D though. I have checked the cars carefully and had then right. However on the day things can be not working as you had hoped Had to go back for two of them for minor items. No problems.

I have had the numbers incorrect on two cars. They were written down incorrectly from new on the rego documents !!!! No problem to the inspector, he had seen it before, 3 as 8 and similar. Generally speaking you should say what you want to him at the beginning or write a note with points on it, and then he will not want you hovering around while he does his job. If he wants your input he will ask !!

If I was starting again I would go to the inspection workshop and have a chat to the inspector before hand. Always find them interested in unusual cars, and ask when would be a good time to bring it in. A not so busy time always reduces the stress.
    good luck Jaahn

PS My mate took an old bus for a check without having done anything to it. When the guy handed him the papers he said that's not so bad a list, but I was holding the other five pages of repairs to attach also
    Last edited by jaahn; 25th February 2014 at 09:55 AM.

And if there is a bit of sloppyness in the front end , just put her in high and things will be nice and tight!
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    <snipped>
    If I was starting again I would go to the inspection workshop and have a chat to the inspector before hand. Always find them interested in unusual cars, and ask when would be a good time to bring it in. A not so busy time always reduces the stress.
    good luck Jaahn

Sage advice.

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    Sage advice.
    Agreed whole heartedly.

After the "French Classic Expert" that I first approached knocked me back on the windscreen, I visited 4 others and spoke to them before I considered leaving the D with the last one.

The roadworthiness of a 40 year old vehicle is not to be judged against the modern motor car and the "inspector/mechanic" has to appreciate that.

John

Out of interest was driver visibility the reason given for knocking you back ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Out of interest was driver visibility the reason given for knocking you back ?
    Alleged "driver visibility"!

We had driven it down from Brisbane and had not noticed anything wrong with it.

Attachment 53445

I was so cheesed off that I contacted VicRoads and the guy I eventually spoke to was very supportive.

I got hold of the VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information Doc 26. (Sorry tried to copy and paste but did not work - but readily available on VicRoads website.)

Within this document are the requirements that a vehicle is to be judged as to whether it is safe to drive; it sets out the vehicles roadworthiness requirements in the state of Victoria. It is a very fair document.

As for the windscreen, this is covered under Section G Windscreen and Windows.

It is reasonable as it allows deterioration from new. For a laminated windscreen, it can have bulls eyes or star fractures over 16mm in diameter and cracks in one layer of the glass over 150mm in length with the proviso that they do not impair the drivers vision to the extent that the vehicle cannot be driven safely.

The photo above is the driver's view in my D. The windscreen is not "unroadworthy" as the guy in Richmond claimed notwithstanding that I asked him to replace it but did not get back to me and hence I went elsewhere.

Anybody interested in registering a vehicle in Victoria I would strongly recommend that they printout the VicRoads VSI26 document and shop around for Licence Tester that has some initiative.

John

PS: RTA and other states must have something similar I'd reckon.

Thanks everyone for your input, some great points to be aware of.
    I appreciate your input, I will be a little wiser in navigating the blue slip inspection.
    BF

Hi All,
    Blue slip achieved and car now fully NSW registered. Thanks for the tips - no hiccups except it was quite a trick to get the brake test pedal on the D mushroom pedal as it had a bracket on the back to hook over a regular brake pedal. I ended up assisting the inspector by driving and braking as he supervised the testing machine. The RMS database only had a 1D 19 PA not an id 19 b ? someone obviously typed in 1d instead of id many moons ago and it never got changed?? who knows. in the end is splitting hairs about model numbers.
    cheers
    BF
    addo and UFO like this.

oh what a feeling

I hate how the 1D 19 is all over the place - from the Queensland Dept of Transport to Carsales. According to the same DOT, I have a DS Coupe as well. So annoying!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thread Information