• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By citroenut

Thread: Xantia heavy clutch

Tadpole

Default Xantia heavy clutch

Hi all!

I just took a 97 xantia for a test drive and I'm a bit concerned about the clutch - it seems quite heavy and doesn't have much feel to it. It's been in the owners family since new and the current owner learnt to drive on it and apparently the clutch has always been like this.

Is this typical for a Xantia or is there likely to be a problem here?

Thanks!

Advertisement

If it's anything like the 406, it will be heavy. I haven't driven a manual Xantia in close to 10 years but from memory it was on par!

There are many "causes" for a heavy clutch feel. Worn plate, clutch cable which has lost its lubrication etc etc...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Jools
    ...Is this typical for a Xantia or is there likely to be a problem here?
    Yes, and yes.

"Xantia clutch cable clip"

Fellow Frogger

Assuming it has a cable ... A new clutch with a new cable doesn't need a lot of pressure and will be easy to operate, although the pedal placement is poor. If it's difficult to control the take-up point, suspect the cable as they don't remain 'light' for long. The clip at the pedal end can snap, but then you have no clutch control. Otherwise, the release bearing may be on it's way out. You'd change the cable to begin with and then see what it is like.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Yes, and yes.

"Xantia clutch cable clip"
    Years back there were many posts about this on the UK forum. When the clutches get old and tired, the pedal pressures do go up, as I guess they do as the cable lubricant ages. One of the first things to snap is the plastic clip that attaches the cable to the pedal. Replacement is a challenging job without the right instructions.

I keep a spare clip in the glovebox (about all it is big enough for) with a printout of the best set of instructions I found some years ago.

PM me with your email address if you'd like the Word file!

Of course, how the clutch feels can depend on what you last drove. It may not be heavy in the sense of there being a problem, but with known issues...

It's no reason not to buy a good Xantia, but a known issue that can be accommodated with a bit of preparation.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

All true. When the cars were nearer to new we always advised customers with broken clutch cable clips to consider replacing the clutch as well to prevent repeat clutch cable clip failures.

Tadpole

Thanks for all the tips, I did some research on the clutch cable clip and came across some of the posts on UK forums. It hasn't turned me off the car but it's just food for thought when working out how much to pay for it as I'll need to factor in a new cable and a spare clip. I'll look into the cost of a clutch replacement as well, or at least find out when it was last done by the previous owner.

I'm buying the car to teach my daughter to drive a manual so I want to make sure the clutch is in good shape!

Not a 406 or 306?

Fellow Frogger!

As the clutch wears & ages travel increases & it becomes heavier. Mine managed 243,000km before collapsing. If there is very little free play when you lift the pedal & it feels heavy, suspect that it is toward the end of it's days. I did two cable clips in just over 100,000km. It is a *^&%$ of a job, but doable at home with few tools, three hands & heaps of determination.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    As the clutch wears & ages travel increases & it becomes heavier. Mine managed 243,000km before collapsing. If there is very little free play when you lift the pedal & it feels heavy, suspect that it is toward the end of it's days. I did two cable clips in just over 100,000km. It is a *^&%$ of a job, but doable at home with few tools, three hands & heaps of determination.

Richard
    Sounds like fun!

Someone, perhaps on the UK forum, had a source of metal clips too if I recall.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post

Richard
    Two tips to make the clutch clip job easier - (1) use a pneumatic/battery-powered ratchet to remove the m8 nut, and (2) glue/tape the nut into an open-ended spanner to reassemble (with the bolt round the other way). Takes about 20 minutes that way.

Fellow Frogger!

The big problems are lying on your back, head down, bum up under the dash, even with the seat removed, trying to focus if using bifoculs, & getting the torch to shine in the right spot without a third hand. Piece of cake otherwise !

Richard
    Mungous likes this.

1000+ Posts

Re. the cable - does the lubrication dry out in a stored cable, and can they be re-lubricated?

I had a new cable fitted to our Series II wagon (16V), and it felt good for about a week . It then went back to feeling like the old cable - doesn't slide freely, but seems to let out in a series of jerks, making fine control very difficult.

By comparison, my Xantia CT Turbo & the wife's 406 SV both have hydraulic clutches - beautiful .

Cheers

Alec

Found this if it helps.

213805 - Spring Steel Clutch Clip
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Information