Xantia 99 disintegrating auto gear knob, tachometer problem, sunroof question
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts Bruce H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,211

    Default Xantia 99 disintegrating auto gear knob, tachometer problem, sunroof question

    I could squeeze one more car in the backyard, so I've just bought another Xantia.
    The auto gear knob is falling apart - don't know if all the bits are there to somehow glue back together. Any other suggestions for a quick fix? On the earlier ZF Xantia I've just pulled off all the crumbling rubber from the auto knob, but this AL4 knob appears as though it will look more obviously incomplete.
    The tachometer needle is resting at the wrong end of the dial. When I tried to jump start the vehicle the dash went crazy, lights flashing and needles jumping, but unfortunately it didn't jump far enough to go back to where it should rest. Any ideas if it is fixable?
    I have a spare dash panel from a same specification Xantia that had higher mileage - if I swap it out will it reset to the kilometres of this car, or zero out, or show what the wreck had done?
    Where should I look to determine if I'm going to have problems with the drain tubes for the sunroof? It rained last night and I didn't see any sign of damp on the headlining or carpets.Xantia 99 disintegrating auto gear knob, tachometer problem, sunroof question-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1392715012.357791.jpg

    Advertisement



    Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

    Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

    Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,777

    Default

    The knob is a jigsaw puzzle without any blue sky! Wash the pieces and stick them back together with urethane sealant. I think RHD knob has have been NLA for a long time and bodging a LHD one is messy.
    I recall being told the tacho needle can jump around and be caught behind the stop. Try lifting it over.

  3. #3
    Ashtray Polisher donat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Bruce, where do you find the room?!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

  4. #4
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    I thought Shane was bad. Dude, you are a Citroen tragic.

    Can you pull the tach from the cluster? The cluster you have from the wreck will show the wreck's mileage because those types usually have a volatile read-only memory. It'll start from that point on. I would try the wreck cluster first and see if it's even going to work, then go from there.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts Ken W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Brisbane
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Bruce,

    Easy solution. Get motor started. Rev to 4000rpm and tap tacho to free needle from being caught at the end of its travel and it will swing back to 4000 rpm and then return to it normal rest place when you turn the engine off. Let me know if you want the full electromagnetic explanation as to why this works. Even Citrojim thanked me for working out this one. Apparently the speedo on these can do the same thing. Solution then is to go for a cruise on the highway or put it up on blocks and get it up to about 120km/hr then tap the speedo dial.

    Moral of the story is, if you have doubts about the battery, connect a jump starter before you try to start it.

    Cheers,

    Ken W

  6. #6
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,240

    Default

    I have had continueing problemes with the gear knob. Used to superglue the bits back but that lasted just so long before it happened again. Last time I had some black silastic handy so I stuck the bits together with than then wiped it all over the knob. So far so good. The knob feels a bit sticky but looks OK.


    John

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts Greg C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Replace the battery. One reason for the dash to go crazy. You can pull out the trip zeroing button and push the needle back carefully with a paper clip. Wrap the end in tape first.
    Mine

    CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

    In the family

    Xantia SX

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts Bruce H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Put the GS battery in it to move it yesterday, youngish Xantia battery is now on the charger to see if it will recharge (car has obviously been standing for a while).

    Ken, how do I know I've got it to 4000rpm when the tacho doesn't work ? I'd say numerous people had tried to start it on a flattening battery before I got to the car - I put the jumper leads on it straight away, but the connection can't have been strong enough. I'll try the 4000 rev solution tonight. Full electromagnetic explanation!!! - you should know me better lol.

    Donat, there was a little bit of concrete left between the GS's. Certainly this Xantia will have to be kept mobile, or it will block 5 GS's from being moved - dismantling the gold Pallas has now become a high priority, only problem being the Xantia parts I was going to throw out of the shed to make space for GS bits will now have to be kept.
    Bruce H

    Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

    Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts Ken W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Brisbane
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Bruce,

    Just try the big rev. Anything over 4000 for the tacho or 120km/hr for the speedo will work. You just need to get the angle between the pointer and where it should be reading to be less than 180 degrees so it will come back anticlockwise rather than it trying to go clockwise past the bottom of the gauge and locking the needle into its mechanism if you get my circular logic.

    Cheers,

    Ken W

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts Bruce H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Tried the big rev a couple of times (to the point that the motor jumped - might need new engine mounts) but no change to the needle. Still to test the gearbox to see if that was why the car was traded. If that passes muster, it looks like I'll be pulling the dash apart, so in the process I think I'll also change the slightly worn looking steering wheel with the leather one from the wreck.
    Bruce H

    Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

    Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

  11. #11
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The knob is a jigsaw puzzle without any blue sky! Wash the pieces and stick them back together with urethane sealant. I think RHD knob has have been NLA for a long time and bodging a LHD one is messy.
    I recall being told the tacho needle can jump around and be caught behind the stop. Try lifting it over.
    My manual gear lever knob (careful here...) disintegrated. Tried fixing it. Hopeless as the whole plastic horror was degrading and I bought a new one. I don't think there'd be a chance of gluing this plastic together once it reaches its use-by date. Find another solution, even if it is hand-carved wood and painted black!
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts Greg C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Don't pull the dash apart, read my post carefully. Exactly the same thing happened to ours when the battery died.
    Mine

    CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

    In the family

    Xantia SX

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts Bruce H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Ok, will try your approach too Greg before I start disassembly.


    Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

    Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

    Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    My manual gear lever knob (careful here...) disintegrated. Tried fixing it. Hopeless as the whole plastic horror was degrading and I bought a new one. I don't think there'd be a chance of gluing this plastic together once it reaches its use-by date. Find another solution, even if it is hand-carved wood and painted black!
    It's worked well for me and has held together perfectly for several years now. It obviously doesn't look new, but it does at least solve the problem. I removed the remnants from the plastic core and cleaned everything before assembling with a bed of urethane. I cleaned it all and the excess sealant with white spirit. Luckily, it was almost all there, so there are no large gaps filled by urethane, which would look quite ugly.

    p.s. As a lover of the BX, did you add the $450 grey XM to your fleet? It is after all like a BX in some respects.

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts Ken W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Brisbane
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Bruce,

    You need to hold the revs up and tap the face of the gauge to loosen the needle from its caught position. I also found that tapping the gauge with the ignition, I was able to get the pointer to jump around a bit but gravity always pulled it back down to the max revs position.

    See if you can get some movement of the needle by tapping the instrument panel clear plastic cover then start the engine and give it the rev and try tapping again. I sure worked for me.

    Cheers,

    Ken W

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts Bruce H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Hooray, I'm Xcited - revs plus some judicious banging on the cluster suddenly saw the tacho needle bounce back to normal.
    Thanks all for your help with this.
    Now I just have to do some reading on how to test an AL4 box. The few minutes I've heard/seen it running over a few hundred metres of flat and driven in it up and down a hill have thus far seen shifts comparable to my mother's Xantia, but I suspect I have to wait until the box gets warm to really know?
    I really wish more people would leave the service history with their cars when they traded them, but then maybe it's the dealers who remove the records.
    Bruce H

    Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

    Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

  17. #17
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    I really wish more people would leave the service history with their cars when they traded them, but then maybe it's the dealers who remove the records.
    Maybe it hasn't been serviced, hence no history.

    John

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts Bruce H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Last service was recent at the local Citroen dealership, and looking at the vehicle it appears to have been well looked after by the previous owner.
    It would nonetheless be nice to know whether all the usual things (Xantia and otherwise) had been done.
    Might have to see if the Citroen dealer will divulge any information prior to its next service being due.
    Bruce H

    Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

    Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

  19. #19
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It's worked well for me and has held together perfectly for several years now. It obviously doesn't look new, but it does at least solve the problem. I removed the remnants from the plastic core and cleaned everything before assembling with a bed of urethane. I cleaned it all and the excess sealant with white spirit. Luckily, it was almost all there, so there are no large gaps filled by urethane, which would look quite ugly.

    p.s. As a lover of the BX, did you add the $450 grey XM to your fleet? It is after all like a BX in some respects.
    Forgot to answer your question David No, didn't go for the XM! Much as I like the BX, it is actually for sale as we really have too many now we've bought a secondhand Scenic. Do you want one??
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  20. #20
    Banned Haakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    canberra...
    Posts
    8,769

    Default

    I think I have the gear knob from the AL4 Xsara I converted still floating about. If you reckon it might fit (I suspect it might - all the PSA cars with AL4 seem to have the same shift lever assembly) its yours.

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts Bruce H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Thanks Haakon, but I bought a "universal" replacement knob for it.


    Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

    Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

    Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Thanks Haakon, but I bought a "universal" replacement knob for it.


    Via the aussiefrogs App

    Hi Bruce,

    Sorry to ressurect this thread, but could you inform me where you bought your "universal" automatic gear knob for your Xantia?

    Thanks very much.

    Regards,

    Syd
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)

    Previously owned Frenchies -
    1976 Citroen GS 1220
    1997 Peugeot 306 XSi
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts Bruce H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Hi Syd
    I can't remember now if it was Autobarn or Supercheap. It is vaguely the same shape as the original, but with a combination of brushed metal and vinyl or leather. It doesn't fit as tight as the old knob, and the edge of the brushed metal doesn't sit very flush, but it's doing the job so far.
    The auto gear-knob on mum's 99 Xantia started to fall apart at the end of last year, and unfortunately the bits got thrown out before I could start trying to put it back together, so it looks like I'll also be shopping for another replacement.
    Cheers
    Bruce
    Bruce H

    Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

    Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Thanks Bruce. Much appreciated!!

    Cheers,
    Syd

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Hi Syd
    I can't remember now if it was Autobarn or Supercheap. It is vaguely the same shape as the original, but with a combination of brushed metal and vinyl or leather. It doesn't fit as tight as the old knob, and the edge of the brushed metal doesn't sit very flush, but it's doing the job so far.
    The auto gear-knob on mum's 99 Xantia started to fall apart at the end of last year, and unfortunately the bits got thrown out before I could start trying to put it back together, so it looks like I'll also be shopping for another replacement.
    Cheers
    Bruce
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)

    Previously owned Frenchies -
    1976 Citroen GS 1220
    1997 Peugeot 306 XSi
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Linton.Victoria.
    Posts
    1,223

    Default re auto gear knob

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    I could squeeze one more car in the backyard, so I've just bought another Xantia.
    The auto gear knob is falling apart - don't know if all the bits are there to somehow glue back together. Any other suggestions for a quick fix? On the earlier ZF Xantia I've just pulled off all the crumbling rubber from the auto knob, but this AL4 knob appears as though it will look more obviously incomplete.
    The tachometer needle is resting at the wrong end of the dial. When I tried to jump start the vehicle the dash went crazy, lights flashing and needles jumping, but unfortunately it didn't jump far enough to go back to where it should rest. Any ideas if it is fixable?
    I have a spare dash panel from a same specification Xantia that had higher mileage - if I swap it out will it reset to the kilometres of this car, or zero out, or show what the wreck had done?
    Where should I look to determine if I'm going to have problems with the drain tubes for the sunroof? It rained last night and I didn't see any sign of damp on the headlining or carpets.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1392715012.357791.jpg 
Views:	900 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	53233


    Via the aussiefrogs App
    With the auto t-bar i took mine off that was stuffed and put on a peugeot 405 auto t-bar on and looks great, just had to drill new holes and tap two new threads either side and cut in half this little plastic clip that goes on under the t-bar boot , you have to hold the new t-bar in place and work it and mark where the new holes will go with a permanent marker because the new t-bar wont go where the old holes are for the xantia t-bar and the xantia t-bars always break ,i tried putting a new xantia t-bar on and it just stuffed up .so try putting a 405 pug one on cheers regards pekay49

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •