BX saga continues.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: BX saga continues.

Default BX saga continues.

Got a new octopus, replaced it after a week of skinning knuckles, then the bloody thing would not start.
    Fuel pressure OK and spark is healthy. The ignition module is also OK so the next thing to check was going to be the crankshaft angle sensor. But . . . . I CANNOT FIND IT !!! I've replaced one on the valver but this thing just does not seem to have one.
    The car is a BX TRI, built in Oct 86. It does not have the complete computer control since the spark is via a coil, reluctor "points" and a vacuum advance. The throttle position sensor, air flow meter and lambda sensor are
    all there and also various temperature sensors.
    Now is it possible to have an injection system without a crank angle sensor? I think not, but then where is the bloody thing?
    The car is on ramps so it is impossible to get it rolling off without suspension, I also got bearings for the rear suspension waiting to be replaced so it would be a pity to make a date with Simsmetal.
    Any suggestions are very welcome.
    rimzit.

Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that this unit would take the primary side coil pulse from the ignition to time its injection like the AX monomotronic unit used in Australia does. I see you have healthy spark. Do you hear the fuel pump run for a second or so when you turn on the ignition? Are you getting power and voltage pulses to the injectors? There are two relays up behind the hydraulic reservoir that pull in to run the fuel pump and power the injectors. Are these working?

How much fuel is there in the tank?
    Has fuel moved to back of tank away from fuel pickup?
    Last edited by Ken W; 19th February 2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: correct info suggested and add more possibilities

I've honestly no idea. Our 1990 TZi, essentially the same, has never failed to start, full stop, so I've never needed to investigate. For that reason, I'll be fascinated to watch this, hopefully for a very short time.

Well done regarding the octopus.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I vaguely recall there being a crank pick-up on the back of the engine - in a similar position but on the opposite side to the starter. I'm not sure it is a genuine angle sensor, as I think it picks up a single groove in the back of the flywheel and not a reluctor ring.

Well done regarding the octopus.
    And I second that!

Of course, an Aussie TZi may be different to an NZ one.

JBN

I don't think Simsmetal accepts BXs. Try some plastic recyclers.

John
    frog likes this.

The Wilson family accept BX's if you can get it to Queensland..

Thanks for all the advice fellow amphibian lovers. I'm getting old.
    I remember the good old days when I had a real genuine Citroen workshop manual for the "D" , and before that a real manual for the Ren "R8". The 8 was fun with an 1100 but I kept the 950 head on it. Went like a cat with it's tail caught under a rocking chair and cornered like the same cat on a carpet. Before that a trip round Australia in six weeks in a Ren. 750 which we bought for $50 and did a complete engine rebuild. Yer, happy memories.
    These days the manufacturers are more sectretive than the CIA on a black ops. caper. A good circuit diagram would make it all soooo simple.
    I'll try all your suggestions, and keep you bored with this continuous silly saga.
    rimzit

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by rimzit View Post
    I remember the good old days when I had a real genuine Citroen workshop manual for the "D" , and before that a real manual for the Ren "R8". The 8 was fun with an 1100 but I kept the 950 head on it. Went like a cat with it's tail caught under a rocking chair and cornered like the same cat on a carpet. Before that a trip round Australia in six weeks in a Ren. 750 which we bought for $50 and did a complete engine rebuild. Yer, happy memories.
    These days the manufacturers are more sectretive than the CIA on a black ops. caper. A good circuit diagram would make it all soooo simple.
    I'll try all your suggestions, and keep you bored with this continuous silly saga.
    rimzit

Don't give up on it... My 3 BX's are turn key reliable, and I would put your no go down to a bad connector from the ignition module. This is a plug from the module into the dizzy.. Especially if it had been raining whilst you were doing the octo . Pull the plug and clean the contacts...male and female.. Also check the battery to make sure the car is not cranking slower than needed...Stick it on a charger and give it a full charge..Lastly pop the air cleaner, and see if she'll fire..The injection system can only lean the mixture so much...and cranking it with a blocked filter will drown the plugs...

Good luck

I havn't had to use 'Start ya Bastard' in a car yet, only for mowers and motor bikes but I guess the time will come. Might be worth a try if all else fails.

Cheers,

Ken W

rimzit
    Any joy?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tried all I could think off.
    Tomorrow a professional automotive electrician is coming to have a look.
    Will certainly keep you all posted when and if the problem is solved.

rimzit

Tried all I could think off.
    Tomorrow a professional automotive electrician is coming to have a look.
    Will certainly keep you all posted when and if the problem is solved.

rimzit
    I do sympathise. Sometimes this is the answer.

Best wishes.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information