• 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By Kooceillo

Thread: Berlingo Speedo Problem

Tadpole

Icon5 Berlingo Speedo Problem

Gday Froggers.

Advertisement

So, I've got (one of) the dreaded speedo problems in my old model 2008 Berlingo. After doing a truck load of reading on UK forums and here, I've got my suspicions of what the cause may be but I want to bounce my idea off some more knowledgeable folk than me. Those UK forums seem pretty useless because not many posters follow through with their problem and provide the solution, or even give adequate descriptions of the problem in the first place.

I have the fault where the speedo drops to zero, the odometer stops counting and the engine bahviour changes. You can feel the car shudder at highway speed and have to apply more throttle to maintain 110. It is intermittent, can happen at any speed, not related to whether I hit a bump or if the weather is hot or raining. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a week, other times I can drive for 2 days before the speedo comes back to life.

One thing I have noticed is that if I start the car and the speedo won't be working I can tell because the handbrake warning beeps at me, just as if I have the handbrake on while I'm moving. The same thing happens if I stop at an intersection and apply the handbrake when the speedo isn't working, it will beep at me. It's like the ecu knows that there is a problem with the sensor and sounds the handbrake warning because it can't tell whether it is moving or not.

Surely if the problem lay in the speedo portion of the dash display, the odometer would stilll be advancing?

From this behaviour is it right to assume that either the speed sensor itself is faulty or the wire/connection to the speed sensor is broken/dirty? What are other's experiences with this problem, also not necessarily relating to just berlingos as I'm aware of the shared platform with many other cars.

Cheers for any help

Ryz
    Last edited by Ryzza; 16th February 2014 at 01:04 PM.

Fellow Frogger

Yes, changing the vehicle speed sensor might be the fix. The same part is used in many models and they do eventually fail. In the later cars, it would also be used for more than just the speedo. There are 2 and 3-pin speed sensors and plenty of cheapies on eBay, but you probably get what you pay for with some of them.
    Last edited by David S; 16th February 2014 at 05:18 PM.

Tadpole

So where does this sensor reside? I've had a look and there's 3 sensors on the passenger side of the engine/gearbox (ie not the timing belt side). One on top of the gearbox and 2 at the front of the engine which are not related to speed as I disconnected them and the speedo still worked. Has anyone got a photo?

Berlingo Speedo Problem-wp_20140217_006.jpgBerlingo Speedo Problem-wp_20140217_007.jpg
    Last edited by Ryzza; 17th February 2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: clarity
    Current:
    2008 Berlingo
    Past:
    2010 Clio 197 "Bluey"
    1998 306 GTi6
    1998 306 XSi

Fellow Frogger

Look on the engine end of the diff housing, where the driveshaft comes out. This shows the location of the sensor, but I couldn't find the diagram with it's part number.

Berlingo Speedo Problem-be_speedodrive.jpg

Hey Ryz,

Did you ever get to resolve this issue because I've JUST finished changing the speed sensor on my berlingo and it hasn't changed a thing. No speed, no odo change and the handbrake beep.

So frustrating. Would love to hear if you found the solution.

Cheers,

Jase

LRF
    Tadpole

Default Speedo problem with my 2005 Berlingo.

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    Hey Ryz,

Did you ever get to resolve this issue because I've JUST finished changing the speed sensor on my berlingo and it hasn't changed a thing. No speed, no odo change and the handbrake beep.

So frustrating. Would love to hear if you found the solution.

Cheers,

Jase
    Same problem with my 2005 Berlingo. No solution yet and one speeding ticket. I keep my GPS on as a backup speedo

Tadpole

Hi, here in 2018 I am suffering this issue! Beeping, stop light, battery light, handbrake light and engine faltering with gauges flicking on and off simultaneously. Has anyone got to the bottom of this.. Are you still even alive..? I hope so!

Check you dont have a water leak into the BSI which is the fuse box behind the dashboard.

Repaired one a couple of weeks ago that had long term water damage until Berlingo would not start.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Hi
    Have not experienced this, it had been reading about ecu and BSI issues.
    Google BSI reset, at your own risk, but many offer this as a solution to a range of Berlingo body issues.

Berlingo Speedo Problem-1520839291959.jpgBerlingo Speedo Problem-1520839298630.jpg

Here's a couple of photos from a water damaged Berlingo BSI.
    Cleaned and reflowed and back on the road.

P!ss easy to do.

Almost a 60 watt Birko iron project.

Especially since that ECU is populated with DIL chips and no SMT chips in sight.
    dimistyle likes this.

Tadpole

Default berlingo dials zero-ing, engine faltering, handbrake lights flashing and beeping

Quote Originally Posted by dimistyle View Post
    Check you dont have a water leak into the BSI which is the fuse box behind the dashboard.

Repaired one a couple of weeks ago that had long term water damage until Berlingo would not start.

Hi Mate, Thanks,

Another thing to note about the issue is it is fine when started, but about 20 seconds into driving it will start acting up, and sometimes when I rev the engine, but its intermittent.

Also sometimes the battery light comes on. I had the alternator changes about 2 years ago so this shouldnt be an issue.

I took out the BSI fuseboard thing on drivers side and the one in engine bay, took out ecu. took apart both BSI's - they're potted so kinda waterproof circuits looked like new. Didn't open the ECU.. would this be easy to put back together? it was sealed with bendable metal fingers so didn't want to disturb it unless I really have to.

I can kinda drive it for now, but not sure how indicators are working when it's throwing a wobbler, as although the indicator instrument lights flash, the click-clack relay sound doesn't happen when it's in wobble mode.

Im so busy atm I just have to keep on the road.. thanks all for your help

Interesting. ..this was the very similar condition of an earlier model Berlingo but as photos show had been damaged by water on/through BSI.

Its not worth opening the ECU..

Still pointing to ŗn electrical fault so a dodgy earth or connector on either of the 'fuse boxes'.

The one in the engine bay can be swapped out with a replacement without needing to be re-coded might be worrh trying but needs to be exact part number.

Love his complaints about uk forums then does the same thing
    Kooceillo likes this.

Tadpole

Righto, G'day chaps, Good news - Its Fixed!!

I'll quote myself here - "I had the alternator changed about 2 years ago so this shouldnt be an issue"

Well I'll be darned, it was the alternator! - The regulator must have gone so it was overcharging.

I found out while rummaging around under the hood and all of a sudden my hand started to burn, My battery had been very very slightly leaking which is a sign of over charging.

I happened to pass my garage and they checked the charging voltage which was over 16 volts. they then charged me 210 of my english pound to fix it.

So basically this explains everything, especially predominantly cutting out when revving.. ipso facto hombres. Ive just driven for half an hour and all good!

Thanks for your help chaps and I hope this helps someone else.
    dimistyle likes this.

Thread Information