BX strut mount fitting question
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nowra, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    234

    Default BX strut mount fitting question

    As part of the BX16v refit, I fitted 2 new rubber front mounts. I took the car in for a wheel alignment as it was pulling slightly to the right, and I had fitted all new front bushes and tie rods.
    The alignment readings show that caster and camber to be out. Now I know these are not adjustable, so I was wondering if there is a "correct" way round to fit the strut mounts.
    There are 3 seemingly equidistant bolts. Haynes book of fairy tales does not mention anything, and I have looked at the old ones I took out and they measure equal all round.
    So; anyone have any knowledge to pass on as to if there is a correct and incorrect way round - the holes in the sides have to face a certain way?? - I would love to hear.

    If this is not the problem then I can only think I have a crook cross member

    Advertisement


    Cheers
    Michael

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! Mungous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    335

    Default

    How far out are your camber and caster readings?

    The holes in the strut mounts should be at the sides. No idea if that matters, but that is how they were originally!

  3. #3
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mungous View Post
    How far out are your camber and caster readings?

    The holes in the strut mounts should be at the sides. No idea if that matters, but that is how they were originally!
    Exactly. How far out are they and does it drive straight now?

    Does anything look bent, damaged, abused?

    I presume the top mounts either can only go in one way only if it matters, or it doesn't matter as the mount is symmetrical.

    I imagine someone out there has been here with camber and caster. I haven't myself.

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nowra, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Exactly. How far out are they and does it drive straight now?

    Does anything look bent, damaged, abused?

    I presume the top mounts either can only go in one way only if it matters, or it doesn't matter as the mount is symmetrical.

    I imagine someone out there has been here with camber and caster. I haven't myself.

    Cheers
    Still pulling slightly to the right. The figures show that there is more negative camber on the left; more caster on the right. The figures are not excessive. I have measured the chassis diagonals and the chassis appears straight.
    It is not a big job, so I will turn the mounts round to what Mungous suggests and see what it feels like. If it feels different then I will get another wheel alignment done to check the numbers. If it feels the same then I can assume there is no "incorrect" way to fit the mounts.
    Cheers
    Michael

  5. #5
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michael16v View Post
    Still pulling slightly to the right. The figures show that there is more negative camber on the left; more caster on the right. The figures are not excessive. I have measured the chassis diagonals and the chassis appears straight.
    It is not a big job, so I will turn the mounts round to what Mungous suggests and see what it feels like. If it feels different then I will get another wheel alignment done to check the numbers. If it feels the same then I can assume there is no "incorrect" way to fit the mounts.
    Cheers
    Michael
    Sounds like a plan. Always best to change one thing at once when dealing with something like this I reckon.

    Good luck.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nowra, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Always best to change one thing at once when dealing with something like this I reckon.

    Good luck.
    Took off the mounts and refitted them with the "holes" across the car (east/west). Went for a drive; nothing changed. No worse, so that is a good point I suppose.
    So maybe a cross member?

    I could manufacture a fully adjustable lower control arm with rose joints . Or maybe not. It is not that badly out; just annoying

    Cheers
    Michael

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! flipperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michael16v View Post
    It is not that badly out; just annoying
    If you drive faster all lines become straight
    CitroŽn's that own me

    - 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

    CitroŽn's that formally owned me

    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

  8. #8
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,816

    Default

    Who knows whether mine is within spec? I don't. If the tyres don't scrub and it drives OK... Don't forget tyres with respect to pulling to one side - there are examples over here of new Peugeots misbehaving despite alignment after alignment. Just add decent tyres with no wear pattern and bingo.

    Are there any other pivots you haven't changed? Has the toe-in been double checked?

    Good luck.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nowra, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    234

    Default

    I tried changing the tyres - left for right side - made no difference. Toe-in has been checked via 2 wheel alignments at different shops.
    That was interesting in itself! A number of the wheel alignment "specialists" said they could not do it because they could not get to the back wheel (the arch covers the top of the tyre/wheel) to fit the equipment. I had to find a place with "old" equipment; I am not too impressed with the place but had not many choices. Still, both places that did the wheel alignment came up with very similar results.
    Went for a spirited drive today - even SWMBO enjoyed it - and the pull to the right is still there but it is only a problem if I am not concentrating, which is very rarely
    Cheers
    Michael
    BX16v
    BX estate
    C5 Hdi

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •