'70 DS Radiator questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default '70 DS Radiator questions

Hello!
    I have just removed and replaced the radiator on my DS as it required some leaks to be fixed. I'm wondering if anyone can help with the following -

- Should the filler neck have an extra seal at the bottom (over and above the seals built into the cap)? I filled the coolant up but when the pressure builds there is a constant flow out of the overflow pipe half way up the filler neck.
    - I'm filling the coolant to the top. Would the above symptoms mean I'm putting in too much? Where should the 'cool' level sit?
    - Would anyone recommend fitting an additional cooling fan? Our temperatures are not quite as balmy here in NZ as they are in Australia, so maybe this is not really necessary?

Advertisement

Many thanks!!
    Dean

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Is it a crossflow radiator ?
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

No extra seal on the neck. Only on the cap.
    Cap should be 4 pounds. 7 pounds in a pinch.
    You likely need a new cap.
    Coolant should stay full at the bottom of the neck.
    Install an overflow container on the bottom outlet of the petcock.
    Secondary fans are fine. A healthy car without aircon should have no need for one.

Tadpole

Thanks for your reply. The cap is new, so I will take your advice and install an overflow container and go from there. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    No extra seal on the neck. Only on the cap.
    Cap should be 4 pounds. 7 pounds in a pinch.
    You likely need a new cap.
    Coolant should stay full at the bottom of the neck.
    Install an overflow container on the bottom outlet of the petcock.
    Secondary fans are fine. A healthy car without aircon should have no need for one.
    Yeah mines the same! I always fill it up full all the way to the top like modern car and every time I check it water is gone! SO I guess that is normal. I also should put reservoir tank. But I can only put in between radiator and spare wheel. And it will block airflow to radiator slightly. Will that cause problems?
    Where would you put?
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

mnm

Hello

I've just replaced the coolant in my D Special, the owner's manual says to fill it to 2-3cm below the bottom of the filler neck. It is not the crossflow set up.

Matthew

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Yeah mines the same! I always fill it up full all the way to the top like modern car and every time I check it water is gone! SO I guess that is normal. I also should put reservoir tank. But I can only put in between radiator and spare wheel. And it will block airflow to radiator slightly. Will that cause problems?
    Where would you put?
    Everything expands when hot, so it'll push the coolant out. It'll prbably drop down a couple of centimeters and settle at that level. Later cars with a crossflow radiator and header tank, will just have a higher level of coolant in the header tank when hot.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Where would you put?
    Probably on the passenger side. I usually use one of the radiator shroud bolts to attach a bracket.
    With a longer hose, you could use just about any bottle that will fit anywhere until you can find something less bodgy.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Thanks for your reply. The cap is new, so I will take your advice and install an overflow container and go from there. Many thanks.
    Hi Deano. The mysteries of older cars eh?

The original radiator is designed to have an air space above the fluid. If you fill it to the top it will simply be ejected every time as the coolant expands. You have already found the correct level to fill to... just don't top it up any higher than it is now and you will be fine. There is no need to change anything, just check occasionally.

Later radiators are designed to be 100% full and have a hose leading to a header tank, which has the pressure cap fitted, and fills and empties according to coolant temperature, but again this "expansion tank" is never 100% full so as to allow some air space for expansion ... air will compress, fluid will not!

There is an "in- between" system popular in the '70s which converted a radiator like yours to a "no loss" system. In that case the small overflow hose from the top of your radiator can be fed into a non pressurised container with the intention that as the radiator cools it will suck the fluid back into system. For this to happen you will need a radiator cap which has not only the pressure regulating spring loaded valve but also a top seal under the top part of the rad. cap., otherwise it will suck air, not fluid from the overflow container.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

Deano,

Regarding caps - you can quite safely use an 0.5 atm cap (7psi) on a D. The only caveat is that the supply and return hoses be in decent shape. The up side is that the higher pressure cap also raises the boiling point of the coolant significantly - about +16F over a 4psi cap. The other thing to check is the thermostat. Make sure it is opening fully and at its rated temperature. Easy to do with a candy thermometer and a pan of water.

Steve

Thread Information