C4 Turbo Failure - Not Another One!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C4 Turbo Failure - Not Another One!

Hi All, have just bought myself a 2006 C4 HDI with a lunched turbo (for an absolute song). I have read a lot about it and am aware that the failure is due to injectors coming loose with the resultant build up of carbon in the oil system blocking the pickup and feed pipes.

I have a few questions about what I need to get this one back on the road.

• Do I really need to replace the oil pump pick up pipe or can it be cleaned?
    • Can I get the sump off with the engine in-situ?
    • Does the sump have a gasket?
    • If the carbon build up is really bad am I better to replace the oil pump?
    • Can the cam box be cleaned out without removing the head.

Advertisement

Also has anyone on the forum "chipped" their C4 HDI? What were the results and who did it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

1000+ Posts

C4 Turbo Failure - Not Another One!-screenshot-1.jpgC4 Turbo Failure - Not Another One!-screenshot-3.jpgC4 Turbo Failure - Not Another One!-screenshot-5.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-1.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	52923

1000+ Posts

C4 Turbo Failure - Not Another One!-screenshot-1.jpg

Fellow Frogger

It's mostly to do with neglected oil changes, so check the service history if it has any. You can remove the sump to clean it out, but there will probably be carbon all through the engine and it can become mobilised later and prematurely ruin a replacement turbo. This is why finding another engine and turbo can be the sensible option if repairing commercially. No special gasket for the sump, but make sure the stud at the gearbox end is secure before you fit the nut or it will likely leak later. The turbo supply banjos have a sintered filter and these should really be replaced even if you manage to clean the piping, but don't be too surprised if they become blocked again.

Send a PM to Lighty on FCF, he has nil comebacks on turbo replacements.

Fellow Frogger!

Try running Shell Helix 5w 40, the higher detergent Shell oil will clean out the carbon and hold it in suspension without hurting the engine. Note==If any diesel oil doesn't go black fairly quickly after a change on a run in engine, then it's not doing it's job. But if you want the inside really clean, run some some high detergent Shell Rimular in it for about 250/500km and then change back to Helix. Cheers and good luck.

Tadpole

Thanks guys for all your help - Got the turbo off on the weekend. Very lucky it didn't spew it's guts through the motor. The turbo sealing rings had destroyed themselves and were sitting in the turbine housing!! Have decided to go the cheapo option with only replacing the turbo cartridge. Have ordered new turbo oil pipe and engine oil pickup/screen as insurance.

Still a bit worried about any remnants of carbon circulating in the oil system. Gonna pull off the oil filter adapter/cooler and see what I find in there too.

The service history is perfect - in fact too perfect! Last major service at 116K cost $5750.00 (no that's a typo). That included the major service, replacing all four fuel injectors (how all four injectors could fail at exactly the same time has got me flummuxed) and timing belt & water pump. All done by those renowned Citroen experts at G***year Tyres!!!!!!!! No wonder they sold it when the turbo lunched itself.

Loving this forum - as opposed to another C4 forum that wants you to PAY to join!!!! (End Rant)

Thanks again for all your help.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Send a PM to Lighty on FCF, he has nil comebacks on turbo replacements.
    Sorry, I'm a noob to this forum. FCF???????

Administrator

You could probably also fit an inline filter in the oil line to the turbo. Most new Garrett turbos have em.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wozzlegummich View Post
    Sorry, I'm a noob to this forum. FCF???????
    Yeah - Addo does that - he drops cryptic clues and leaves people to figure things out for themselves. I don't think he overestimates people's background knowledge - it's a deliberate attempt to stop people developing 'learned helplessness' .

FCF could stand for 'Feline Conservation Foundation', or 'Filipino Christian Fellowship', but I think addo means 'French Car Forum', an English rough equivalent of Aussie Frogs. A lot more modern french cars over there and heaps of knowledge...

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger

The top timing chain and its tensioner were possibly replaced, which requires removal of the injectors for access. They can be impossible to remove without damage, so I guess they were stuck in. An expensive repair option though. Don't forget the engine is common to Peugeot, Ford and some other cars. The turbo has a Garrett number on it and that can be used to chase the correct variable turbo rather than looking only for one via the Citroen part number.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The turbo has a Garrett number on it and that can be used to chase the correct variable turbo rather than looking only for one via the Citroen part number.
    Yep, all over that one. Thanks.
    C4 Turbo Failure - Not Another One!-20140215_175038-1.jpg

Thread Information