Would really like to love my C5 :(
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By fritzelhund

Thread: Would really like to love my C5 :(

Default Would really like to love my C5 :(

As much as this damn car is testing my patience I would really like to be able to love it.

Advertisement

Before I go on I do have to day that it is due for a service, however the issues it is giving me right now I do not believe are related to a standard service.

Driving to Sydney just prior to Christmas for a work function, happily heading down the Pacific Highway the car decides to just stop. This was a bit of a surprise. Sure in many cases it has gone into limp mode, which stopping, waiting, pushing the brake pedal and then restarting seems to clear the error and all is good again.

On this occasion however, the engine just stopped and of course I lost power steering etc. Pulled over and the car would not start. Sure I got a click when turning the key, but then nothing at all. Finally after about 10 - 15 minutes of waiting and trying it did finally start and all was good so I got to where I was going.

Went into limp on the way home, and that was resolved as normal. Since then on a number of occasions I have experience the non starting issue, only once with my wife in the car however she now refuses to go anywhere in the car at all, so for now at least until I can get it to Hornsby for a service is basically just sitting there.

Not sure what is going on here, and no I do not have a Lexia at the moment due to also not having a laptop old enough to run it, but any thoughts or suggestions on what may be going on here (battery, lose wire, etc), would be so much appreciated.

As the title infers, I would really like to love this car. When running well it is an absolute joy to drive and so comfortable compared to my Patrol, not to mention way cheaper to run (at least from a fuel perspective). It is the 2.2 HDi and any advice at all would be helpful, before I try to book it into the Citroen mechanic at Hornsby.

Regards

Richard

Dear RFL.
    I know little of the complexities of all the systems on these cars but when my old C5 (2003 2L hid) started to show symptoms of this type, after I sold it to a friend. We found the MAF SENSOR TO BE THE PROBLEM. We sourced a second hand unit for $150 and it has run sweetly ever since after fitting.
    Your existing unit can be carefully cleaned with a special solvent. If you look at you tube videos on this procedure it may be worth while. The reason for our replacement rather than cleaning, one of the fine sensor wires inside the MAF was broken.
    Good luck.
    Allan.

Richard,

A read of the fault codes should give a mechanic some idea of the direction that needs to be taken to sort this issue. Any reputable garage should include this as part of a normal service these days as it almost as important as checking the brakes, boots and ball joints in terms of giving some assurance the car will remain running safety over the next 15 to 20 kkm.

I just bought one of the $20 OBD bluetooth modules just for a bit of fun, and it seems to work on my C5 X7 so I will check over the weekend how well it recognises fault codes and report back.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks Tasie & Ken

All good information I think. I will try to have a look at the car tomorrow in regards to the MAF, and if you can let me know which BT ODB device you have if it give you the codes, that would be very handy.

Thanks

Richard

Ok finally got a scanner and checked the error codes. I have found "P1352 Ignition coil A Primary circuit Malfunction / SID 801- Pre/Post heating relay circuit - Relay & Pre-Heat plugs not controlled"

Glow plug relay perhaps? Car just clicks most of the time, but when it does start (not often) seems to run ok. Could someone please advise where I can find the relay - might look at replacing that and see what happens from there?

Did you mean P1351?

How old is the car? Many will have the green underside relay with black plastic box, newer ones the metal (diecast) relay with light blue release tab on a "blocky" plug. Look near the underbonnet fuse panel.

Intermittent starting (presuming no crank condition) is usually a fault of PSF1. Jump power to the little yellow fuse on this panel and see if the starter operates. Exercise all the usual precautions when doing this.

Hey there, it is a 2005 2.2 HDi. The car clicks but does not fire. Every so often it will go ahead and start and besides the normal temperamental things seems to run pretty well for the most part.

Almost certain it was P1352

By clicks, do you mean the starter turns or not?

No just clicks mainly. After some attempts though it does start, but at the moment way too unreliable to drive it anywhere....

Can you say where the click is coming from? Near the motor, or at the fuse panel?

It's likely down to one of two things - either a duff fuse panel or crook starter. This ignores the possibility of your starter wire not being properly connected (eg, if the motor/transmission has been in and out).

Hi Addo

I will have to go and have someone try starting and stick my head under the bonnet to listen. Will report back when done.

Thanks

I had the same problem and symptoms on the ute. The starter motor was buggered.

There's a black two pin plug on the underbonnet fuse panel. It has a fat wire and a thinner wire. The fatter one goes to the starter solenoid. If you bridge this fat wire's plug contact (not the fuse panel, but the plug!) to the battery's positive terminal with a short length of insulated wire, the starter should crank healthily. No go, either duff starter or rubbish connection to the solenoid.

My c5 x7 did this to me recently. I think the computer monitors battery voltage during starting. If it gets down to below 8 volts, it seems to abort the start. Sounds like a fully flat battery but dash lights all stay normal. Try cleaning the battery terminals which can help a bit or even better try new battery. My new battery only dipped down to 10 volts during starting.

Cheers Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

Does your C5 give you random beeps with no errors displayed?

Mine started giving random beeps (the same beep as when a fault is found) but didn't show any faults. A forum member (forgot who) told me that it might be the battery needs replacing. I didn't bother and kept driving and then a few weeks ago, the car just shut down completely. No limp mode, just turned off. Then last week it was getting harder to start from cold, still started everytime, but had to hold the key for longer while it tried to start.
    Borrowed a battery charger from a mate, left it overnight and I'm back to normal. The random beeping stopped as well

The click is loud and definitely from the starter motor, so I imagine that its cactus. Now to start the search for a replacement, or can these be reconditioned? Could it perhaps just be the solenoid?

I have just put a new battery in as that is the first thing I thought of. The original battery was a little on the small side in any case so it is definitely not a waste.
    Last edited by RFLundgren; 26th February 2014 at 08:33 PM.

You can get starters at a good price from EAI or rebuild parts from Woodauto in the UK. You need to know exactly which unit is fitted.

Well I have a starter motor coming which should arrive this week.

Is it difficult to replace myself?

Fellow Frogger!

First you have to have a clone, otherwise the world gets suspicious.
    I am sure there are many people who would find you irreplaceable anyway !!!
    addo, Peter O, RFLundgren and 1 others like this.

Replaced a starter on my old 2003 C5 it was a mitsubishi and was in remote St Helens in 1 day, ex stock Launceston.

Well we are up and running again so lets hope she behaves herself and is not too damn temperamental......

Thanks

Thread Information