piloted gearbox clutch actuator
  • Register
  • Help

Default piloted gearbox clutch actuator

hi all

I recently rebuild my dads piloted gearbox, the shop is reinstalling it and now they are saying the gearbox clutch actuator is faulty

can someone give me a run down on these, do they fail from being manually handled? can they be jiggled to work? The shop has the diagnostic tool, I don't know how closely they followed the manual (which I have) that dictates how to set the clutch actuator for dismantling and then for reassembly/calibration

I noticed this

1.1. Prohibited operations
    Manipulating the clutch actuator via the push rod ( 1). (possible)
    Compressing and releasing the push rod ( 1). (possible)
    Directly supplying the clutch actuator with a 12V supply source.
    Piloting a removed actuator using a diagnostic tool.
    Putting your fingers on the connector contacts (risk of electrostatic discharge).

I assume that these operations destroy the actuator? is there a common problem that happens from manually pushign the pushrod? as these could be possible.... can it be rectified, or is a new actuator the only solution

i see that europarts has new OEM actuators for $750 ...

anyone got a good 2nd hand one cheap?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

It is possible to dismantle it and grease the internals and also to clean any carbon from the motor, but they do not last forever. The usual symptom of an old actuator is loud creaking. You have to look for wear on the spring loaded parts of the shaft inside and wear on the sector gear where the pinion meshes. Sometimes, the pinion snaps and it then can't be repaired. If you force the pushrod, you are working against what is effectively a worm gear driven by a stepper motor, so that may do damage. However, it obviously has to be robust enough to deal with the clutch spring. There is meant to be an initial setting position, but I can't really offer any comment on this. Take the bottom of and inspect it at least and perhaps ask a dealer to see if they can revive it.

Thanks for the info David ill pass it on, hopefully don't need a new actuator but I think my dad said the old one did groan a bit or something...

Thread Information