• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Xantia Activa - Becoming rarer and rarer :(

Default Xantia Activa - Becoming rarer and rarer :(

Not a bad snippet from Pistonheads:

Citroen Xantia Activa: Catch It While You Can - PistonHeads

Seems as though there are only 40 still left on the roads in the UK! How many were sold in Australia?

Always wanted to have a drive of one

Advertisement
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Not a bad snippet from Pistonheads:

Citroen Xantia Activa: Catch It While You Can - PistonHeads

Seems as though there are only 40 still left on the roads in the UK! How many were sold in Australia?

I might show some interest if there's any left when there 25years old..... All that shitty poogoe plastic under the bonnet though
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Such awesome cars.. I'd love one!

JBN

Most Xantia owners wouldn't know the difference.

For those that still appreciate their licence, a VSX or even an SX will suffice. The both corner fairly flat at low speeds.

For the hoons that drive Xantias, a bit of body roll when driven hard is a reminder that 13 points don't last very long.

For the showoffs, collect the appropriate chrome letters from a wrecker and stick Activa on the bootlid. You don't have to drive fast. Its the same as all the clowns with HSV Clubsports that just dawdle along, mesmerised by the sound of a 6.3 litre V8 at just above idle speed.

John

I worked at a CitroŽn dealership in the UK back in 1999/2000 when these things were new - each PDI involved at least 14 laps of the Chiswick roundabout, just to be sure the system was working property. I would loooove a RHD V6 one!! Imagine how much fun you could have on a track, scaring the crap out of everyone (including yourself).

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post

How many were sold in Australia?

Continentals told me they sold 18 and estimated that between 30 ~ 35 Activas in total were sold new in Australia.

I really like mine - a relatively modern car yet engaging and characterful, absurd fun on roundabouts etc.

Xantia Activa - Becoming rarer and rarer :(-activa-vs-vsx.jpgXantia Activa - Becoming rarer and rarer :(-citroen-activa-vs-sx-moose-test.jpg
    (check out tyre sidewall distortion in 1st pic!)

JBN

So what am I looking at?

In the first picture, the red car seems to have more body roll, even though the fat driver is on the uphill side. The dark car seems flatter even though the same fat driver is on the downhill side.

In the witches hat photo, the red car is flat and the dark car is all over the places.

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Most Xantia owners wouldn't know the difference.

For those that still appreciate their licence, a VSX or even an SX will suffice. The both corner fairly flat at low speeds.

For the hoons that drive Xantias, a bit of body roll when driven hard is a reminder that 13 points don't last very long.

For the showoffs, collect the appropriate chrome letters from a wrecker and stick Activa on the bootlid. You don't have to drive fast. Its the same as all the clowns with HSV Clubsports that just dawdle along, mesmerised by the sound of a 6.3 litre V8 at just above idle speed.

John
    John,having both a ct and activa,neither have badging on the rear.The fun really starts when the v8 brigade attempt to follow you through corners,the view in the mirror is priceless,Andy.
    UFO likes this.

This thread has reminded me that Ken W is away and his CT Activa is at home waiting to play!
    STALLED likes this.

Frog,

I just found some internet! All you have to do now is find a key. That might not be soo easy.

Cheers,

Ken W
    UFO, frog and SLC206 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    The fun really starts when the v8 brigade attempt to follow you through corners,the view in the mirror is priceless,Andy.
    You dont need any fancy suspension for that to happen.

Just a lightweight car, good tyres and a modest degree of driving skill.

Jo

So what am I looking at?

In the first picture, the red car seems to have more body roll, even though the fat driver is on the uphill side. The dark car seems flatter even though the same fat driver is on the downhill side.

In the witches hat photo, the red car is flat and the dark car is all over the places.

John
    I had the same thought, on closer inspection they are different cars & it's just a coincidence the cars are the opposite colours in the two photos!

Really want to try an activa out now. Anyone want to trade a drive in the SE qld area? I have a GS & 105 Alfa to trade drives with...

JBN

Having two 2CVs and a Xantia VSX, I would HATE to have an Activa.

Far too much difference between the extremes of flat cornering of the Activa to the door handle cornering of the 2CV.

I would end up killing myself, which would no doubt be reported in the Humour forum.

John

Having two 2CVs and a Xantia VSX, I would HATE to have an Activa.

Far too much difference between the extremes of flat cornering of the Activa to the door handle cornering of the 2CV.

I would end up killing myself, which would no doubt be reported in the Humour forum.

John

I reckon most people would be pretty startled by just how good a bog standard Xantia is by 2014 standards. Personally, I avoided the complexity of Activa, impressive a system though it is.

By modern standards, crash safety is their least good point I think. Otherwise, I can't imagine what I'd replace ours with.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

Crash safety is only of use in an accident. An alert, competent driver and a good handling car can avoid many crashes. There are too many gizmos to "help" the driver these days and too many distractions to take his mind off what he should be doing.

When I did an Underwater Swimmers (aka underwater diving) course in Commandos in the early 70's, on day one we did a 100m swim fully clothed with boots tied together and slung around our necks and a steel helmet on. Then a 25m underwater swim.

Then we sat at the bottom of Balmoral Navy wharf in about 20' of water. We were in pairs with one scuba tank between us. No face masks. The purge button had been removed from the regulator. You would take one breath hand it to your buddy (if he wasn't already pulling it out of your mouth). He would then twist his head on the side, hold the top flap, use half his breath to blow out the water, twist his head to the other side and repeat before he took a breath of air. Half an hour later they threw a detonator in the water to tell you to surface.

Always good to learn on the most basic equipment to appreciate the mechanics of the task. It would be interesting to know how many Formula One drivers started on gokarts.

John

Crash safety is only of use in an accident. An alert, competent driver and a good handling car can avoid many crashes. There are too many gizmos to "help" the driver these days and too many distractions to take his mind off what he should be doing.

When I did an Underwater Swimmers (aka underwater diving) course in Commandos in the early 70's, on day one we did a 100m swim fully clothed with boots tied together and slung around our necks and a steel helmet on. Then a 25m underwater swim.

Then we sat at the bottom of Balmoral Navy wharf in about 20' of water. We were in pairs with one scuba tank between us. No face masks. The purge button had been removed from the regulator. You would take one breath hand it to your buddy (if he wasn't already pulling it out of your mouth). He would then twist his head on the side, hold the top flap, use half his breath to blow out the water, twist his head to the other side and repeat before he took a breath of air. Half an hour later they threw a detonator in the water to tell you to surface.

Always good to learn on the most basic equipment to appreciate the mechanics of the task. It would be interesting to know how many Formula One drivers started on gokarts.

John
    No arguments from me! If we were worried about that, we would have changed it for a C5.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    You dont need any fancy suspension for that to happen.

Just a lightweight car, good tyres and a modest degree of driving skill.

Jo
    Good luck with that just don't try following one through corners at speed.

Good luck with that just don't try following one through corners at speed.
    Thanks for the advice.

I shan't do so, at least not until the fuego brakes are a bit more sorted.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I shan't do so, at least not until the fuego brakes are a bit more sorted.

Jo
    Good idea;you will need good brakes when you run off the road and closely examine the scenery.Andy ADDIT.Three of my sons had Fuegoes;with working brakes years ago so I know what they perform like and you lose.

Good idea;you will need good brakes when you run off the road and closely examine the scenery.Andy ADDIT.Three of my sons had Fuegoes;with working brakes years ago so I know what they perform like and you lose.
    Nah, Its a citroen, so its tyres are probably older than it's owners elbow patches.

jo
    STALLED likes this.

My Xantia Exclusive has an electrically controlled sport mode suspension switch. Now when I bought the car new I thought this was a bullshit gimmick until I tested it through mountain corners. It actually works by stiffening up all. So there is almost no body roll and almost no squatting. It truly surprised me when I had the car fully loaded with passengers and luggage and drove to Mt Hotham. I like to drive my cars on the limit and I can tell you that the Xantia felt like it was engineered and built for those mountain roads and driving style. So if you like to drive with it stiff, go in the Xantia Exclusive!

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

JBN

I would still put my monery on the Fuego with bad brakes than the Xantia in sport mode.......coming down the mountain, that is.

John

1000+ Posts

I would still put my monery on the Fuego with bad brakes than the Xantia in sport mode.......coming down the mountain, that is.

John
    Seriously John,have you driven both at speed;if not don't comment. I drive mine always in the comfortable setting as it automatically changes to firm when pushed and does this quicker than hitting the button and by the way I "come down the mountain" every day,Andy..
    Last edited by alhantos; 2nd February 2014 at 09:07 PM.

JBN

Andy, I would put my money on any car without brakes coming down the mountain quicker than one with brakes.

John
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

Andy, I would put my money on any car without brakes coming down the mountain quicker than one with brakes.

John
    LOL. I guess you would also put your money on any loose nut behind the wheel;just back from holiday in Phillipines,the traffic in Manilla would give you limitless betting options,regards,Andy.
    UFO likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information