Xantia Activa - Becoming rarer and rarer :( - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Xantia Activa - Becoming rarer and rarer :(

Thanks Ken

I have tried a few of the UK suppliers ...some tell me they "won't ship to Australia" so no luck yet.
    Do you find ... that even with good spheres, that the car loses pressure quickly when turned off?
    I'm told that all Activas do that.

Advertisement

Regards
    G

Hi Gary,

Yes I call mine the sinker. I think leaks in the Activa rams bleed the main hydraulic pressure down really quick and once the front suspension thinks it wants a top-up of pressure then it sinks down too. I need to replace the rear ram on mine as I know it is quite leaky.

If I leave mine on full lock at rest which pumps the suspension up a bit, the front struts seem to seal better and I it will stay up for quite a few hours but I still have to wait through quite a bit of nee-naw sound and 2000 rpm revving until the main and activa accumulators get pumped up by the paltry 2 piston HP pump.

I have bought stuff from Big Mick and Little Mick in the UK and that worked out well. But they don't seem to have mirrors.

EURO CAR CARE QUALITY PARTS FOR FRENCH & ITALIAN CARS

There is always GSF but you run the risk of having customs and quarantine clearance issues caused by the shonky import agents their shipping company uses.

Cheers,

Ken W

Thanks Ken

My rams leaked, and the replacement cost was $1200 ... but ... XM steering boots will fit (from memory) and they are cheap...and I gather that this is all that "goes wrong."

My local Citroen mechanic did each one for about $200. So a very worthwhile hint!

Gary,

One of mine has an internal leak from the full pressure side to the half pressure side - must be a score in the bore. That results on the car having to do a diagonal height correction every 30 seconds or so which continues after you have turned off the motor. Hence my HP system loses pressure quite quickly.

I have been through the broken leak return pipe connections on both Rams. I bodgied up the front ram with a piece of pipe for a while and managed to glue the rear one back on with superglue, but I have now replaced the front ram. As a bit of insurance against when they become NFP (no longer available) I managed to buy a spare front and rear rams through Sergio Nero at GSF for about $750 each when the A$ was at over 60p. One day I will get around to replacing my rear ram as this is quite a bit more complicated than doing a front one. Big thanks to Citrojim for all his illustrated guides for Activa work via his website and the UK French Car Forum - it was he that published the XM steering boot reseal procedure.

Cheers,

Ken W

Hey Gary,
    In the interests of keeping our babies on the road, if you find a mirror in the UK I will bring it home for you. I get up there for work about once a month, it can be sent to my London hotel where they will hold onto it for me. Will be up there mid next week, probably a bit soon, email me to discuss. [email protected].
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bruce View Post
    Hey Gary,
    In the interests of keeping our babies on the road, if you find a mirror in the UK I will bring it home for you. I get up there for work about once a month, it can be sent to my London hotel where they will hold onto it for me. Will be up there mid next week, probably a bit soon, email me to discuss. [email protected].
    Carl
    That is one dangerous offer to make in public. I had to get someone in our Nottingham office to ship me our BX Estate towbar because "we don't ship to Australia" and window shields for the Xantia because Mick's Garage in Ireland "doesn't ship outside UK", although in fairness Mick says he does now!

Could you bring me a ....... please? Just joking.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Updated - 9 cars!

- KenW (QLD)
    - 78k (QLD)
    - Carl Bruce x 2 (NSW)
    - Nota (ACT)
    - Harvey (QLD)
    - Guy (QLD)
    - Alhantos (NSW)
    - GaryK (NSW)
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

watt make a xantia active ? on my just said 2l16v on the bottom door trim and I can see 7 spheres ? 4 at the rear 3 front.

Fellow Frogger!

I haven't seen an activa up close, but they were either 2l turbo 8V manual trans in Oz or some 3l V6s elsewhere. I imagine you would see some hydraulic rams underneath attached to the torsion bars ( guessing)

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    I haven't seen an activa up close, but they were either 2l turbo 8V manual trans in Oz or some 3l V6s elsewhere. I imagine you would see some hydraulic rams underneath attached to the torsion bars ( guessing)
    Torsion bars ??????? Anti roll bars maybe! Hydraulic rams ========== suspension cylinder and piston is sort of a ram! Are you familiar with Citroens hydraulic/nitrogen suspension?
    Cheers Gerry

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le frogg 205 View Post
    watt make a xantia active ? on my just said 2l16v on the bottom door trim and I can see 7 spheres ? 4 at the rear 3 front.
    Look harder! If you have 4 at the rear, you will have 4 at the front, which makes yours a VSX. An Activa has 'Activa' on the front doors and 10 spheres in total.
    Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Have only owned two Xantias ( 16V & CT), three BXs (16V, TZi & TRS122), a CX 2400 and two Ds (D special & DS23EFI auto) since 1983. Still have the valver, CT turbo and D special. Do a lot of the servicing myself living in Wagga. You are right, gerrypro, I have a lot to learn about hydro-pneumatic suspension.

Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Thread Information