normally aspirated HDi turbo diesel C5 2.0 sohc froggy smoke generator.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By citroenut
  • 1 Post By smatic
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: normally aspirated HDi turbo diesel C5 2.0 sohc froggy smoke generator.

Default normally aspirated HDi turbo diesel C5 2.0 sohc froggy smoke generator.

Hi all. been battling a bit of a problem with the C5 for a few weeks. (2003 2.0 HDi)
    symptoms?
    started with power loss while driving home. ok on flat road but no power to go up even a slight incline. when putting the boot in LOTS of black smoke.

So I researched just about every forum I could find, and decided the MAF was most likely the prob. (I've checked all hosed for splits, leaks etc)
    I own a car parts shop, so I ordered one (from ebay UK, sorry). while I waited for it to turn up, I kept driving selecting manual and keeping revs between 2000 & 3000, or lots of smoke! painfull around town, 1st to 2nd @ 3300 drops back to 1800. smoke zone at both ends.

I also fiddled with the 2 solenoids valves that control turbo and EGR. blocking vac to egr sol has pretty well stoped the smoke problem (with the new MAF) so now i have boost when the engine is cold to warm, NO boost when at operating temp. Lexia has cleared all faults, ther were many. but i keep getting turbo solenoid fault coming up. tried 3 different solenoids, no change. plug is in good nick.
    Like i said drives normal until at normal temp, about 4 k's.then no boost.. @ vac pump seem good!!
    HELP!

Advertisement
    PvA
    C5,
    2cv
    minimatic
    moke,
    another moke
    Vermorel

Fellow Frogger

Try cleaning the wire in the MAF sensor with a suitable spray. As you'd know, it's a very sensitive part.
    You might also look for a collapsing air hose. Are any of them soggy due to oil buildup. They could even have a heavy buildup inside, so a check and clean out might assist.
    Have you done a leakdown test on the vacuum piping to ensure there is no leakage?
    smatic likes this.

I forgot to mention, I "tested" the turbo vane actuator by sucking on the vac line. this moves the actuator so I'm reasonably sure it isnt jamed. when I get boost I'm only getting about 4psi. can't find anywhere how much I should get. sucking on the turbo act hose does nothing while holding 3000 rpm. again I don't know how much vac i should be getting. brakes feel fine so that is my guess at the vac pump being ok. I've had the car 5 months and until 3 weeks ago it drove fine. I've done 10,000 ks. as i said while its not at operating temp it seems to drive normal. More checking to be done.
    PvA
    C5,
    2cv
    minimatic
    moke,
    another moke
    Vermorel

Fellow Frogger!

Have you checked the air filter element ?

R.
    smatic likes this.

Ok. time for a bit of red face! Put car back up on ramps and back to basics. crawl under with a good torch, (first thing i did 3 weeks ago). have a good look at the turbo, seems ok, check hose connecting turbo to plastic pipe under engine, this pipe was new when i bought the car, all good. look at hose from pipe to intercooler. would this 2 inch long split have any negative effect I wonder? DOH!!! As my Dad used to say to me on a regular basis when I was a kid OPEN YOUR EYES BOY!. I have no idea how i missed this, its not even as if its hiding around the back of the hose. 10 minutes & 1/2 a roll of 100mph tape and wow!! 12 psi boost and its REALLY back to normal. just got to order a new hose tomorrow. that'll be fun.
    addo likes this.
    PvA
    C5,
    2cv
    minimatic
    moke,
    another moke
    Vermorel

air element new. have a look at my last post. problem found!
    PvA
    C5,
    2cv
    minimatic
    moke,
    another moke
    Vermorel

Fellow Frogger

Yes, I can recall a couple of later HDis with split hoses that would belch smoke and lose power. Obvious once you find it! The injection system piles in more fuel to compensate for the low output and then makes black smoke. You don't have a particle filter, but it's not impossible for those systems to become caught part way through a regeneration burnoff, also causing a lot of black smoke.
    smatic likes this.

Thread Information