2cv roof rack concept
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 2cv roof rack concept

I'm considering a raid type roof rack for the 2cv...
    Something along these lines. ..

It allows the boot to open and the roof to flip back but not fully roll.
    The centre of gravity is high but still not as high as the azu 250.

I have a source of stainless replica 2cv rack mounts the clip to the roof channel.
    Anyone interested in getting some made? And or making them after I tweak the design a bit!?

Harley

Sent via the future...

Advertisement

JBN

Harley, in the first instance I would query your need for more storage on a Raid vehicle. More storage means more weight and weight is the killer for all vehicles in rough conditions, not only the 2CV.

Secondly, I question the placement of the roof racks so far to the rear. I would tend to place the rack starting from just behind the top of the windscreen to the second crossbar of the hood (on the forward edge of the grey bit on your rack drawing). Typically, when you load a 2CV, most of the height loss is taken by the rear suspension. For a car that has an arse up look when empty, most Raid cars are lucky if they are level and some even have a dropped arse look (which means insufficient suspension travel). When the rear suspension has little travel, the chance of hitting the fuel tank guard increases as does the chance of bottoming the rear suspension. The rear bump stops are susceptible to being ripped off in a bad bottoming.

One of the reasons I put a second spare wheel on the bonnet of Daffy Duck was to even the weight distribution front/rear. The engine is the same weight on an empty or loaded 2CV. The front passengers are the same weight on an empty or loaded 2CV. I would be loathe to put more weight onto the rear.

John

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Despite appearances, 2CVs handle pretty well. I don't now about raid conditions but I've driven mine over a lot of crappy country roads and I reckon the car looks unbalanced; and with the rack where proposed it will be unstable, and increasingly so with the massive body roll and the weight up so high. I can imagine the rack being a different kettle of fish where John suggests.

Strangely, the van looks more balanced, at least from the camera's viewpoint.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Clouseau View Post
    Despite appearances, 2CVs handle pretty well. I don't now about raid conditions but I've driven mine over a lot of crappy country roads and I reckon the car looks unbalanced; and with the rack where proposed it will be unstable, and increasingly so with the massive body roll and the weight up so high. I can imagine the rack being a different kettle of fish where John suggests.

Strangely, the van looks more balanced, at least from the camera's viewpoint.
    Hmmm... a Weekender with GS wheels and a first hood. Interesting combination. Anyway, I **think** the suspension for the bigger AKs (350 & 400) is set up for a larger load (bigger spring tubes and springs, heavier shocks, and so on), which would help suggest a more even keel. The Weekender, being ostensibly a 4 passenger wagon might also be setup the same way. The secret would be in the parts books. You could also try for an Acadiane suspension, but the importation has to be killer for cost.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, all points of concern.

JBN, we will be travelling with a new little spud on the next raid! So thinking light camping gear on top, spare tyres and fuel down low.
    I realise a centered rack will carry weight more evenly... but then you can't flip the moon roof!

Hotrod, yes the spring pots are bigger on the vans and slightly different suspension geometry and longer chassis I believe.
    I already have updated springs in mine.
    That weekender has even more under the hood ami super chassis with visa engine

I'll look at refining my plans...

I still need to make the central baby capsule viable...

Harley

Sent via the future...

JBN

Harley, if the moonroof is the sticking point, I would stiil place the rack to the front. I would also place something like corflute on the underside of the bottom rails of the rack (which hold the weight of the contents). This would give you shade if the rack was unloaded (very important for bub and increasingly important for you as you shed hair with age).

The sunroof aspect of a 2CV is very simple utilising a metal frame to act as a big hinge to flip the roof back. Its wouldn't take a person of your capabilities much to ditch the frame and replace it with a screw mechanism that would push the roof forward (for closure) or pull the roof back to increase the opening, but in the same plane as the roof line. This would then vary the amount of air into the cabin without interfering with the rack.

Think of some 3/8" booker rod with the forward end turned so as to fit in the existing holes on each side of the forward edge of the roof (the holes the existing frame slips into). Then a 3/8" tube to hold the rear of the booker rods attached to the roof crossbar just behing the drivers head and nuts to adjust the length of the booker rod (which would dictate the roof opening). It may need some clip to locate the booker rod to the front roof frame, though at speed the slipstream should hold the gathered roof open.

If you really wanted to get fancy, attach the corflute so the "flutes" are aligned left-right rather than front-rear. The have a mechanism to force the rear of the corflute down to direct more air into the cabin. Something like a lateral bar on the corflute and some threaded rod to control the adjustment.

Using booker rod to adjust things isn't instantaneous, but once set you will probably be comfortable for most of the day, if not for longer.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Finally got around to fitting the roof rack! Most of the delay was simply getting a rack at a reasonable price, the vw crew snatch them up for big bucks.
    Gricey had a couple hiding in his shed!

Made a nice compromise by setting just far enough back to fold open the front of the roof. This gave it perfect clearance for the extended rear hatch I have.
    It geels so strong I think it will work well as a roll cage.
    Harley

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    Finally got around to fitting the roof rack! Most of the delay was simply getting a rack at a reasonable price, the vw crew snatch them up for big bucks.
    Gricey had a couple hiding in his shed!

Made a nice compromise by setting just far enough back to fold open the front of the roof. This gave it perfect clearance for the extended rear hatch I have.
    It geels so strong I think it will work well as a roll cage.
    Harley
    That sucker is going to drop your top speed back to about 50km/h if you load it
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    That sucker is going to drop your top speed back to about 50km/h if you load it
    That's what the BMW twin conversion is for.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thread Information