• 1 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 2 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By renaultmark

Thread: CITROEN Xantia On Train Transport

Default CITROEN Xantia On Train Transport

Hi fellow froggers
    i am about to travel to Adelaide from Perth on the Indian Pacific on February 9th and am intending to bring my Xantia along for the ride. ( it has to go with the other cars, it can't go in my cabin )

My question is has anyone had any issues with loading the car onto the train. As you know the height, ground clearances vary from when you drive on, and when the car settles. Height is ok, because it is within range of their specifications for travelling on the lower deck. However they do require a minimum height for ground clearance. 13 MM TO BE EXACT!! Nowhere is there any info for this figure.

Advertisement

Have anyone ever had to do this and have put their car on a train?

cheers Mark

Hi Mark,

I brought my GS from Perth to Port Augusta on the train back in 1981. It didn't go well.

The diesel soot combined with the condensation from dew ruined the paintwork - so put some really good protective stuff on if the paintwork is still OK.

I sank mine onto the bump stops before they tied it down - big mistake - they get a really rough ride on the train springs. The exhaust rubber rings broke so the exhaust bashed between the car and the carriage all the way over. I pulled the tailpipe off at ?Cook some little station in the middle of nowhere and the top of the muffler was missing by the time I got to Port Augusta and had to be rebuilt so we could continue to Broken Hill. I couldn't believe the din when I started the car to drive it off the carriage. So if your anti-sink works well, leave it on normal and get them to tie the tyres or bottom of the suspension arms down.

Make sure it is well packed so any stuff cannot move within the car during the trip. I hope you have a better ending to the trip than I did.

Good luck,

Ken W
    frog likes this.

UFO

Sinking Citroens and IndianPacific train transport sometimes do not work well together. In 2005 2 DS were trained back from Perth to Sydney and were transhipped in Adelaide. One had some fairly serious underbody damage that was repaired at the IP's costs.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by renaultmark View Post
    Hi fellow froggers
    i am about to travel to Adelaide from Perth on the Indian Pacific on February 9th and am intending to bring my Xantia along for the ride. ( it has to go with the other cars, it can't go in my cabin )

My question is has anyone had any issues with loading the car onto the train. As you know the height, ground clearances vary from when you drive on, and when the car settles. Height is ok, because it is within range of their specifications for travelling on the lower deck. However they do require a minimum height for ground clearance. 13 MM TO BE EXACT!! Nowhere is there any info for this figure.

Have anyone ever had to do this and have put their car on a train?

cheers Mark
    Are you moving?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

....However they do require a minimum height for ground clearance. 13 MM TO BE EXACT!! Nowhere is there any info for this figure.
    13mm sounds like the thickness of the pointy end of a forklift tyne.

Jo
    UFO likes this.

Like a Dalmation.

1000+ Posts

Personally I would be driving-no big deal & if you have not done it before then at least you can say 'been there-done that'.

I did quiet a few trips late 60's early 70's. 36 and a half hours was the best time-500k of dirt 'in the midle'.

No radars then so would be different now.

Have heard of a few bad stories-some real comment.At least you have had the good sense to do some research.

[I need a drive to Perth!!!]

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Are you moving?
    No, both my parents live in Adelaide and mum is turning 90 this year. Dad is 93 in sept. I have decided to go spend some quality time with them whlie they are in good health...cheers

No, both my parents live in Adelaide and mum is turning 90 this year. Dad is 93 in sept. I have decided to go spend some quality time with them whlie they are in good health...cheers
    Good call. It's a lovely drive taken gently. Worth it for the views over the Nullarbor Cliffs east of Border Village alone. I'd prefer to drive rather than put it on the train, although the process is easy enough - we helped friends from Mount Gambier do it recently. No problems.

Continental Cars in Sydney stock the three plastic tee pieces that are the most frequent source of return line leaks (they tell me) and you can get them within in a few days of phoning. I carry a spare clutch cable clip in the glove box too, with printed instructions on how to install it without removing half the car! Happy to email the file if you want it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

JBN

I would support the driving option. I did the trip in 2008 in a 2CV. Two days each way staying at Ceduna - Eucla - Norseman and then the reverse. That includes all the sights along the way.

If you are a golfer, there are single holes along the Nullabor, so you can hop out of the car, play one hole and continue along the world's most spread out golf course. You can't do that on the train. Plus, the train is travelling through interesting outback scenery at night, a sight you will miss as you will be sleeping.

John

Sorry guys, I have driven the nullabor 5 times in the past 20 yrs with family so while I agree with you that it is a good trip, I have decided to train it over and drive back to Perth. Dad never liked to travel by aircraft ( so uncomfortable) he always put his R16 on the train from Adelaide and visited WA towns and then returned on the train back to Adelaide. I want to experience what he did...( walk a mile in his shoes ) ...so that I get to see and feel what he did! I was going to put my R17 TL on the train but the Xantia is more suited to Adelaide suburbs and streets. I will have to delay the Renault for another year! I will keep you all up to date with my adventure!

Good call. It's a lovely drive taken gently. Worth it for the views over the Nullarbor Cliffs east of Border Village alone. I'd prefer to drive rather than put it on the train, although the process is easy enough - we helped friends from Mount Gambier do it recently. No problems.

Continental Cars in Sydney stock the three plastic tee pieces that are the most frequent source of return line leaks (they tell me) and you can get them within in a few days of phoning. I carry a spare clutch cable clip in the glove box too, with printed instructions on how to install it without removing half the car! Happy to email the file if you want it.

My Xantia is automatic and has been maintained by Stuart recently. Most of the hydraulics have been replaced and had extensive engine work done. I am confident that the car is ready to do the trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CITROEN Xantia On Train Transport-image.jpg  

No experience with a Citroen on the train...

We put a Ford Fiesta on the train. The only complaint was how dirty the car was when it arrived to Sydney from Adelaide. Also, they use those annoying paint markers on the windows which are a royal pain to get off...

From memory, pricing was on par with road transport.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Xantia's don't sink when switched off and doors locked. The suspension locks into position and is only freed up when you unlock and open the door.

I can't see any issue with train transportation.

If you have to raise her up to get over a ramp hump for clearance, no problem, you have the ability for this. I have a large hump from my garage to the street crossover, so this action is normal for me for 3 cars.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

If it's anything like my lady's Xantia, it'll take about a week to sink - I'm sure it'll be okay.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by IE23 View Post
    Xantia's don't sink when switched off and doors locked. The suspension locks into position and is only freed up when you unlock and open the door.
    This is not really how it is.

With engine off, the anti sink valves hold the suspension up provided there is stored pressure in the corner spheres. Wear to the anti sink valves or flat corner spheres will allow sinking. On Hydractive models only, opening of a door (nothing to do with locking) will bring the centre balancing sphere into the circuit. This is still isolated from the pressure supply as its on the same side of the anti sink, as the corners.
    STALLED and UFO like this.

The anti sink valve isolates the suspension from everything else and will not open unless the main circuits hydraulic pressure is higher than the suspension pressure. As the brake doseur valve is in the main circuit, the pressure there will be lower very soon after the car is stopped so the suspension is isolated quite quickly. Therefore I second (or third) the opinion that it should be OK on the train
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

If there is some leakage in the struts, then the anti-sink will only last a few hours, especially at the front where it relies on whats left in the accumulator for a topup. My activa sinks at the front in about 6 hours however the back stays up for weeks - the sinker. My Xantia wagon however stays up for weeks at both ends. However this is static sitting ie no motion in the suspension.

When the Xantia is on the train, its suspension will get quite a bit of exercise so that will mean more leakage in the struts. When you get out at Cook, you might take your keys with you so you can give it a start and pump it all back up to normal height.

Cheers,

Ken W
    UFO likes this.

Icon7

The Xantia is on the train ...and so am I ....traveling to Adelaide will be there on Tuesday

The Xantia is on the train ...and so am I ....traveling to Adelaide will be there on Tuesday
    Best wishes for the "visit" Mark. Hope the Xantia enjoys the trip too. I've seen a few Xantias in Adelaide, and you can catch up with some interesting folk, thinking Clarendon for parts and young Mr Parker at Oleopneumatics. I was there last week so just missed you.

No doubt you'll report on the car's feelings about the trip and how well suspended she was.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Best wishes for the "visit" Mark. Hope the Xantia enjoys the trip too. I've seen a few Xantias in Adelaide, and you can catch up with some interesting folk, thinking Clarendon for parts and young Mr Parker at Oleopneumatics. I was there last week so just missed you.

No doubt you'll report on the car's feelings about the trip and how well suspended she was.

Cheers
    yes it's great to have the car on board ...I just checked it as best I could at Cook SA and it seems to be enjoying the ride....suspension ride that is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CITROEN Xantia On Train Transport-image.jpg  
    STALLED likes this.

Looks OK doesn't it. That's good. I did a water supply at Cook many years ago - top little spot...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Default Training

Hello I got to video the Xantia coming off the motorail...looked good no hassles

Thread Information