• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Gundaroodave
  • 3 Post By Gundaroodave

Thread: Driving lights fitted to id19 rally car

Tadpole

Default Driving lights fitted to id19 rally car

Hi Folks,
    Have fitted driving lights to id19 Rally Car and getting the car prepared for historic rego. Took the car for its first proper run the other day. Smooth as silk. So far so good..
    Am hoping to have it ready for getting out and about to the odd event and meet some of you in the next 6 months or so.
    regards David
    Gundaroo

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Driving lights fitted to id19 rally car-image.jpg   Driving lights fitted to id19 rally car-image.jpg  
    michaelr, donat and Hotrodelectric like this.

Well done David, looks great! I for one look forward to seeing the car. I am sure we would all love to see more pics, especially of the modifications made.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Tadpole

Default Some more photos

Attachment 52114Thanks Michael,Driving lights fitted to id19 rally car-image.jpgDriving lights fitted to id19 rally car-image.jpgDriving lights fitted to id19 rally car-image.jpg

Here are some more photos. The car has the connaught head and the first nose exhaust system. (Perhaps the latter to allow one pipe from front to rear without the underbody muffler - for better clearance?) Thanks to Chris Dunham, much documented history has come with the vehicle and for me it is interesting to read the notes on the car both relating to its entry into the 1995 Mobile round Australia rally, in which it was entered under the historic rally car category and correspondence with Jim Reddiex relating to car preparation.

Jon at Mittagong / Colovale of whom many of you will know, is helping me with many hieldeberg bits and pieces, so the plan is to retain and restore the cars original components as well as keeping its rally history also.
    Regards Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Driving lights fitted to id19 rally car-image.jpg   Driving lights fitted to id19 rally car-image.jpg  
    donat, Mungous and rrturbod like this.

Dave, we must catch up. That car has some bits I supplied to the team when they passed through Canberra, and, my spares (cars) are all within 10k of Gundaroo too.
    ------------------
    Michael T
    2013 DS4
    1977 CX 2400 Pallas
    1974 GS 1220 Sedan
    1958 ID19 (Slough)

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

What do you have fitted for power generation? It looks like a Ducellier, but does that have enough output to cover your lights and keep the battery up? You need quite a bit to keep all that wattage up front on and happy.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

That looks absolutely brilliant!! Good luck with it!

Don't know if you've considered it, but it's well worth fitting a hydractive valve from an XM to the front suspension, it massively reduces roll at the front and you can tank around unfamiliar corners!

Cheers

Marc

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Tadpole

Hi Michael T,
    would love to catch up, pm me.
    (I will advise my local Peugeot friends there are more Citroens in the district!)
    Cheers Dave

Tadpole

Hi Hotrod,

Yes has Ducellier 40A, which is due for some work as it is running low on power output (without lights connected).

The car is set up to run two batteries. At present has one battery in the boot and wire loom under the bonnet ready for the second battery - I assume this is how they ran the car with the twin cibie super oscars for the 95 rally? (Michael T might remember???)

So I guess my options are to rebuild the ducellier (twin battery option)..if the figures add up for output with the new lights or go to a higher output unit using just one battery.??

Marc,

The XM Valve sounds like an option I should add to the list!

regards Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundaroodave View Post
    Hi Hotrod,

Yes has Ducellier 40A, which is due for some work as it is running low on power output (without lights connected).

The car is set up to run two batteries. At present has one battery in the boot and wire loom under the bonnet ready for the second battery - I assume this is how they ran the car with the twin cibie super oscars for the 95 rally? (Michael T might remember???)

So I guess my options are to rebuild the ducellier (twin battery option)..if the figures add up for output with the new lights or go to a higher output unit using just one battery.??

Marc,

The XM Valve sounds like an option I should add to the list!

regards Dave.
    The way I've always regarded it was the battery has primarily two jobs: allow initial starting and ignition, and to act as a buffer/ accumulator. The idea behind a second battery would be as a source of emergency battery power to get the car started and running if the first is flat for whatever reason. Considering the load you want to run ( a rough guess is 4-600 watts), plus the requirements of the base car, I would go with a larger output, say 75 amps minimum. Unless the regulator isn't regulating, there isn't any problem with over amperage, since the car will take no more than it needs.

You can keep the second battery with a larger alternator. Once it's charged, the alternator simply keeps it trickle charged as you're on the go. You can also put a battery switch on the negative line to disconnect the battery during periods of non-use.

If you're looking to run the car as a factory rally car, we need to find out what the factory did to keep the lamps on. 40 amps at full chat is going to have problems keeping up.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Tadpole

Thanks for the feedback Hotrod,

I assume the Ducellier itself can't be upgraded / rebuilt to achieve the higher amps required?
    If not, rather than replacing the original unit, would the HID option for the driving lights be another way of reducing power needed and thus the need for many extra amps?

regards Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gundaroodave View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Hotrod,

I assume the Ducellier itself can't be upgraded / rebuilt to achieve the higher amps required?
    If not, rather than replacing the original unit, would the HID option for the driving lights be another way of reducing power needed and thus the need for many extra amps?

regards Dave
    You could do it that way, but be aware that HID lamps require a ballast assembly for each lamp. That's a hell of a lot of extra parts underhood.

I don't think the Ducellier unit is uprate-able. I would have to look into it.

Usually I just suggest you go with a larger alternator such as a Bosch or GM unit. They don't look way too wildly different than the Ducellier pieces, servicing is easy-peasy when needed, and they aren't over expensive. If you go with a GM Delcotron (I know they're a little tough to get in Australia), Richo has access to a front frame for those that allows use of the stock tensioning bracket. Wiring in an internal regulated alternator is dead easy.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Unless the regulator isn't regulating, there isn't any problem with over amperage, since the car will take no more than it needs.
    I have wondered about this...
    I recently replaced th alternator in my 2cv with a modern Denso unit, 45amp I think, up from 25??? If I only use 25amps will the new denso unit have more resistance as it has the capability of pulling more load??
    i've considered using a spare plug on the efi computer to cut the power to the alternator at WOT to make it that much easier to get up the hills...

Harley

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I have wondered about this...
    I recently replaced th alternator in my 2cv with a modern Denso unit, 45amp I think, up from 25??? If I only use 25amps will the new denso unit have more resistance as it has the capability of pulling more load??
    i've considered using a spare plug on the efi computer to cut the power to the alternator at WOT to make it that much easier to get up the hills...

Harley
    You have to worry about overvoltage. In terms of amperage though, the alternator will produce no more than demand. Be aware though that demand can also be resistance because of poor or corroded connections and shorts to ground.

You can kill the alternator to decrease load to the engine, but that would only make sense if you were running 100A+ at full field on the stock 32 hp. I'll bet you're running near the full 45A since fuel injection is a large power hog- depends on your system. Have you driven it yet with the Denso? The smaller ones are designed to be more efficient on small motors. And the injection should have given you quite the power boost.

The easiest way to shut the alternator off would be interrupt the charge lamp wire at the alternator. That has the functional equivalent of shutting the ignition off. I would suggest returning to idle to turn it back on though- a spike in voltage will wreck a lot of hard work.

Thread Information