keys locked inside BX 16v any suggestions?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By depete
  • 1 Post By frog
  • 1 Post By Mungous
  • 1 Post By UFO

Thread: keys locked inside BX 16v any suggestions?

Tadpole

Default keys locked inside BX 16v any suggestions?

Hi,
    My keys have been locked inside my 1994 BX 16 valve . I don't wish to damage anything has anyone a suggestion to open the car?
    Many thanks

Advertisement

Not being familiar with BX locking mechanism, not sure if this will work, but I have used it on older cars which have the door locking pin near the door window and the pin flares out towards the top.

Fold over packing tape and feed the loop through the door frame. You can manipulate the loop by moving the individual ends of the tape from outside the vehicle. Slide the loop over the pin and gently pull up on the tape while maintaining tension. Blue tack on the inside of the loop may help to stop slipping, but not always needed.

As a last resort, you could join RACQ and call them to get you out of jam. Any tow truck operator should be able to get it open for you in a jiffy or the local rat bag teenager may do it for $20.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

JBN

I had a VW 411 (precursor to the Passat) in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1975/6. It had a dodgy lock and I became locked out. The AA tried to get in. Then a police paddy wagon came along. They enquired about the problem and said "Wait a minute". They walked around to the back a yelled at one of the occupants to get out an break into the car without damaging anything.

The crook asked for a flat bladed screwdriver, popped the rear quartervent, hand in to open the rear door and thence the front door. I have always had an admiration for a real expert at their trade.

Unfortunately this has no relevance to your BX. When they broke into my BX, they just used the screwdriver punched through the door to action the lock. Since the ca'rs value was about the same as the insurance excess, I patched up the hole with bog and sprayed it with the closest Holts white that I could find.

john

Tadpole

Problem solved. I persevered with the coat hanger guiding a slip knotted fishing line over the lock knob , pulled tight then upwards and...unlocked! Once again , you gotta love this Forum.
    Thanks john and FIVEDOOR
    adkeco likes this.

Default keys locked inside BX 16v any suggestions?

For the next time, pop out a xxxxxxx xxxx and xxxxxxxxx the xxxxxxx xxxx!
    Last edited by Mungous; 17th January 2014 at 02:23 PM.

JBN

Now I can see why no one breaks into a BX. No challenge.

John

Might have to get an immobiliser for my bx now! Any chance a mod could pop along and censor some of this thread? And future readers will have to be informed via pm?
    UFO likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by depete View Post
    Problem solved. I persevered with the coat hanger guiding a slip knotted fishing line over the lock knob , pulled tight then upwards and...unlocked! Once again , you gotta love this Forum.
    Thanks john and FIVEDOOR
    So you have of course now gone and sourced at least one replacement key. Being a non chip key they are easy to get a copy of if the locksmith has a suitable blank.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Might have to get an immobiliser for my bx now! Any chance a mod could pop along and censor some of this thread? And future readers will have to be informed via pm?
    Fixed. Take that, you dirty BX stealing crims!
    frog likes this.

UFO

Usually in Australia the anti theft device is fitted on the rear of the boot and is accented by decoration on the grille.
    frog likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    The Citroen sign scares most crooks away. Only the inquisitive will look at a BX long enough to say "WTF is that ugly looking car?".

You are safe. Don't panic. An on/off ignition switch on the trim underneath the steering wheel and a push starter button in the same area and you have no need for a key. Make sure the steering lock is disabled (or go live in Norseman and commute to Echuca).

A $50 SuperCheap remote locking system is the go if you are a petty theif and you leave your homework in the car.

John

Thread Information