CX Douvrin questions
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX Douvrin questions

As a kid with a father as a motor mechanic, I got to see lots of different cars pass though our backyard shed. He did a bit of W/E work for family and friends. Most of the cars were easily forgettable Australian, British and Japanese stuff. Until a family friend brought in his privately imported CX, when he immigratted from Great Britain. Its exterior styling caught my eye immediattely. But it was sitting inside that futuristic cockpit and trying to understand those strage dials/drums, that is still burned in my memory.

Anyway my memory 30 years later is of my father having to remove the head to replace some valves due to a broken cam belt. So from then on till only a few years ago I just assumed that all the Australian delivered CX's had the same engine. On seeing CX's recently and looking at the spark access the through the valve cover, well it just reinforced that it was an overhead cam engine (Yes I know Chrysler hemis have spark plug access through the valve cover).

So my question is was the Douvrin engine used only for some markets or specific CX models? Was a turbo version used in the CX?. Was the Douvrin engine used in the CX to justify PSA's investment in it as it seems that the older generation OHV engine was used right till the end of the CX's life.

Advertisement

As usual Im happy to be correctted for any errors I've made.

Fellow Frogger!

The Douvrin was shared by Peugeot and Renault as well. It appeared in least expensive CX variants as an alternative to the small old pushrod engines. CXs at the top end kept the old pushrod motor in various and Turbo guises till the end I believe.Models named Reflex and Athena were Douvrin powered as well as some of the lesser second facelift CXs with the moulded palstic bumpers.From memory it was available as 2 or 2.2 .. no doubt some with more knowledge will contribute. I believe a Douvrin engined CX in this country would have to be a private import. There was a cherry red one in Brisbane years ago.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    The Douvrin was shared by Peugeot and Renault as well. It appeared in least expensive CX variants as an alternative to the small old pushrod engines. CXs at the top end kept the old pushrod motor in various and Turbo guises till the end I believe.Models named Reflex and Athena were Douvrin powered as well as some of the lesser second facelift CXs with the moulded palstic bumpers.From memory it was available as 2 or 2.2 .. no doubt some with more knowledge will contribute. I believe a Douvrin engined CX in this country would have to be a private import. There was a cherry red one in Brisbane years ago.
    Yeah, only private imports. For technical details your probably better off posting in the Renault section. You know it was probably really nice in a CX due too it's light weight. It sure wouldn't be a speed machine though

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Really good engines! I imagine not ideal for the CX as the R20/30 cars would have been somewhat lighter than a CX, but I might stand correction there. Good for 200,000 miles or more properly maintained.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The cherry red cx 20 reflex is now in Grafton.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

There is one in southern Sydney getting restored. Bought from Continental Cars many years ago

They were at least as quick as the 1985/2175cc variants of the old motor and a bit more economical
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

That one in Grafton was bought by the fellow to paddock bash in. He intended to teach his daughter to drive in it. The interior was shagged and it rather rusty. I dare say it's a sight worse now.
    Out of the 1992 Saab 900 turbo and into
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

Thread Information