C5 Electric windows.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 Electric windows.

Hi all,

Advertisement

The front windows on my 2005 C5 are chucking a wobbly when I try to raise or lower them. When I activate the left or right hand switches on the driver's door, the windows should automatically lower or rise as long as the switch is held in position by the driver (or passenger on the left hand door window switch). Rarely does this happen, both windows will lower or rise by a few centimeters and stay there (I don't try and lower or raise both windows together, of course!) and until I let go the switch and activate again, nothing happens. When I use the switch again, it's the same. Down, down, down or up, up, up a couple of centimeters, and this process is repeated until the window is completely down or up. The back windows are ok. It seems the windows are linked to the car's computer system, so I disconnected the battery for a few minutes to reset the electronics, but this doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. Any suggestions?

Richard.

Sometimes physical friction can cause a problem and a spray of lubricant (silicone) on the runners may help. I fixed a similar problem on a Civic with silicone lubricant.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Hi Richard
    I have had to clean my switch pad on the drivers door. I cannot now remember the actual fault at the time. I dismantled it and there are no real switches, just the rubber pads making contact on a circuit board, like all the electronic do-dads today. A bit of metho and a cotton bud does the trick.
    Does the window button on the key remote drive them OK ? Of course that drives them in pairs together.
    Good luck Jaahn

UFO

I recently fixed a similar sounding problem on our C4. It was easy - removed the screw holding the switch panel in the driver's door handle, took the module out - liberally sprayed circuit board cleaner around - probably could have gently blown some compressed air through it first. Repeated spraying circuit board cleaner. Re-installed and voila!

Passenger side front window now operates in automatic mode as it should. It worked fine at all times from the passenger door switch but not from driver's side.

This process also fixed the organic whining noise.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Did you mean to type "organic"?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Did you mean to type "organic"?

Yes...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

My wife complains about the front windows in her 2004 C5 behaving erratically. They operate as they should via the remote, problem is only evident when activated from the drivers controls. Thanks for the above tips on cleaning, I'll try this suggested cure.
    Eric

Thread Information