Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By donat
  • 1 Post By Mungous
  • 1 Post By donat
  • 1 Post By Bruce H
  • 1 Post By Mungous

Thread: GS/A Wheels.

Default GS/A Wheels.

Has anybody had any experience with different wheels on a GS or GSA?
    Would like to buy one to use as a daily driver, but the availability of DECENT 145x15 tyres doesn't look good for a car that's going to do some miles.
    Michelin does 185/195 x15 tyres in XM2 and Pilot Sport3, so I would be leaning that way.
    There are manufacturers in NZ and UK that would make a set of wheels in three stud, as long as the offset wasn't outrageous.
    How much room is available INSIDE the current sweep of the rims for slightly wider rims/tyres?
    I don't really want to do much guard flaring or change the look of the car too much.

Advertisement

Thanks, in anticipation,
    Chris

$890 gets you 4 Michelin 145x15 XZX tyres to your door from Longstone Tyres in the UK. There are other options out of Europe for similar prices (if not cheaper). Add another $100 or so for fitting, balancing and tyre disposal and it'll owe you around $250 a corner.

Nankang and Vredestein offer 145x15 for around $150-$200 a corner.

I have had DS rims on a GS before (205's with a lower profile if memory serves me) - but it used to burn rubber in 1st and 2nd with 145x15's! Of course you can go for CX rims a la the GS Birotor but I guess they had flared guards for a reason and they generally had 165x14.

Trying something outside the factory spec will undoubtedly sacrifice the GS's exceptional handling.

The fact that a brand new set of tyres equates to a quarter of what presentable & running GS's generally go for on the market is something we longterm GS owners have accepted.
    almostfrench likes this.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Default GS/A Wheels.

Back in the day and just for shits and giggles, I popped a pair of 205/60R15s on the front of my GS X2. Obviously they wouldn't fit under the rear guards (where 165s will just sneak in), but it did make for some "interesting" handling traits. It was super-good on turn-in (albeit with bloody heavy steering at low speeds), but at the limit became, unsurprisingly, rather oversteery. But I was young and stupid and rolled that set-up for several months. Nearly crashed into a tree about 10 times. Laughs!

Edit: Obviously the 205s should not have been fitted to the standard wheels. You can get your standard rims widened by an inch or so, but the limiting factor for tyre width is the clearance under the rear guards.
    almostfrench likes this.

Thanks guys, I obviously don't want to upset the handling. I just figure that tyre technology has come a long way since the days of the xzx's
    Mixing it with modern traffic - other cars with ABS etc means that a classic being driven amongst them needs to be able to stop like they can, too!
    Of course, if the remade xzx's are using modern compound....... Then that's different.

A GS can and will drop anchor at the press of a brake pedal better than modern cars of its size when you consider many marques still prescribe to drum brakes on the back. Remember, the GS does have disc brakes all-round so there's no need to worry.

I've been going to work in either a GS, D series or CX ever since I had a licence. At the moment, I swap between a '62 ID 19 and a '72 GS - and when the GS is sold, it'll just be the ID. My Mrs drives the Xantia. An older Citroen is fine when it comes to traffic of any sort, just not when it's hot!

The current 145x15 XZX are made in Serbia and they're great in the sun and in the rain. It'll take corners that I can't do at the same speed (and enthusiasm) in my mum's Hyundai i30.

So fear not, a GS with a set of correct size Michelins will be fine if you wish to commute in one. So many folks underestimate the practicality of a GS as a daily driver in today's world and I don't think it's about me being brave. You have to remember that the GS was years ahead of its time in 1970.
    almostfrench likes this.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

I agree with Donat.
    Remember you will be DRIVING a GS, not just guiding your car as many a modern motorist does. As the process requires the careful monitoring of traffic around you, you are far less likely to need to rely on your tyre's grip for braking (or ABS) as those around you who are in doze mode.
    I only see 2 problems in regularly commuting in a GS and they more possible personal frustrations rather than technical issues: the first is that if your commute involves lots of traffic light stop starts amongst hills then the GS will be slower than traffic as doze mode drivers around you won't give you space to adequately wind up your revs to get up the hills (you'll be having to row back and forth between 2nd and 3rd on hills you know you'd otherwise be able to do in just 3rd or maybe even 4th gear, and fuel consumption will suffer); the second is that you will constantly be on the lookout for your fellow motorists who seem to think that anything with chrome bumpers can't be travelling fast and will pull out in front of you without correctly assessing your approach speed.
    This second issue you'd possibly experience commuting in any classic that doesn't look like a sports car.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    almostfrench likes this.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

And your heater will always smell like burnt oil. But I quite like that smell...
    almostfrench likes this.

Thread Information