Moving a long-inactive D
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UFO

Thread: Moving a long-inactive D

Tadpole

Default Moving a long-inactive D

Hello! First post! I have to move a car I've had for over 30 years... and drove for 5...

It's a 1964 D, a red fluid Commonwealth car.

Yesterday we rolled it out of the garage on it's re-inflated tyres. We have to back it out over a gutter on Wednesday 7 am, when the flat-top arrives. The D went over that gutter alright in a similar condition 15 years ago...

There is neither time nor expertise to chock the suspension rests, and the car has not turned over for decades.

It's so long ago I've forgotten if chains around the suspension arms (where, exactly?) are the best (only?) method of pulling the car (frontwards, of course) onto the tray.

Any other advice/warnings will be gratefully heeded!

Advertisement

No trolley jack?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If it's a flat top, they'll probably tie it down with straps around the tires ... which is a perfect way to do it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Dunno if the towie will have one. What if one could be found?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by metier View Post
    Dunno if the towie will have one. What if one could be found?
    He'll just tie it down by the front lower arms and rear arms then. It's important they don't use the body tiedowns, then try and "pull the car down" on it's suspension to tension them. A dead DS has no suspension travel, so they'll just rip the tie downs off the cars structure. Obviously you can use the tie downs if you need to, just tie it down firmly though, don't try and tension them down.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

When mine had to be flat bedded last year and it was dead on its belly as the accumulator had blown, the towie's truck went so low and small slope that he attached the pull hooks over the front suspension arms and just gently pulled the car up. He then strapped the front tyres down. He was about to do the hooks onto the rear when I asked him to just have them in place but not tight. We did not have to go far and we both knew the road was smooth. Made it home without the car moving around at all.

Ensure that you have the bonnet properly secured unless you want to teach yourself the almost impossible skill of fixing a large aluminium panel.
    ScotFrog likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hey Craig I am in Sydney and reckon I saw you driving over Harbour today?
    Steven

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Hey Craig I am in Sydney and reckon I saw you driving over Harbour today?
    Steven
    I reckon you are incorrect.

I fortunately have not been near Sydney since early December - and certainly not in the D. There is however another D in Sydney with UFO plates. Can't remember the exact combo and I think that D is a dark colour.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by metier View Post
    Hello! First post! I have to move a car I've had for over 30 years... and drove for 5...

It's a 1964 D, a red fluid Commonwealth car.

Yesterday we rolled it out of the garage on it's re-inflated tyres. We have to back it out over a gutter on Wednesday 7 am, when the flat-top arrives. The D went over that gutter alright in a similar condition 15 years ago...

There is neither time nor expertise to chock the suspension rests, and the car has not turned over for decades.

It's so long ago I've forgotten if chains around the suspension arms (where, exactly?) are the best (only?) method of pulling the car (frontwards, of course) onto the tray.

Any other advice/warnings will be gratefully heeded!
    Hi Metier,

Hopefully your transport worked out ok yesterday - shocking weather to be doing heavy moving tasks this week.

Would you be able to give us some details of your car for our Australian ID register? That is in another thread here and we are very interested to log the engine number and serial number and the other details off the plate on the firewall. Any other details like rego numbers, first registration date, colour and general condition etc would also be great. We have got quite a bit of interest here (well - a small but keen group of people) in these Aussie IDs. A photo of the plate and the car would be ideal. If you wanted to, we could log your name with it or if not just your AF name. It is great to see ones come to light that we didn't have registered, or perhaps an old entry re-appears after being registered as current whereabouts = ?????.

Regards,
    Leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Thread Information