GS Doorlock
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: GS Doorlock

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! lamoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    sydney-newport
    Posts
    367

    Default GS Doorlock

    has anyone had experience restoring GS/DS door locks and any special comments or tricks. i missed a set on eBay DE and still kicking myself.

    so going down the path of di mantling and trying to restore, like the DS the inside has pitted badly and would have to be ground back and filles or something else done.

    Advertisement


    if anyone out in AF land has a NOS set just waiting to be bought please PM me, otherwise any advice will be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Doorlock-img_2060.jpg   GS Doorlock-img_2061.jpg   GS Doorlock-img_2062.jpg  

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    The GS and DS handles are very similar and one can convert a GS handle to suits a DS(, which I've recently done to a couple of NOS GS handles - Sorry!) The mechanism is slightly different as I recall, but you can slide the long pin out and swap everything as needed to make a car set. There are repro handles for the DS listed by Franzose, so they may be worth looking at. Otherwise, old handles would need to be rechromed, which is likely to present some problems with die-cast metal. Also, be very careful not to overtighten the studs and nuts when refitting the handles as you will end up with a visible depression on the outside.
    Last edited by David S; 12th January 2014 at 09:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! sparkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lamoor View Post
    has anyone had experience restoring GS/DS door locks and any special comments or tricks. i missed a set on eBay DE and still kicking myself.
    lamoor - had the same issue with mine. Bit of light steel wool work and extensive chrome polish by hand brought mine up reasonably.

    If you have problems with the locks themselves, that's another kettle of fish. There is a little pin that tends to break off at the end of the barrel that won't allow you to lock the car. If that is not an issue for you, I won't rabble on, but I do have a possible solution if that is the case.

    Have attached coupla snaps of final product (mine appeared a bit similar to yours before their rejuvenation)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Doorlock-img_0088.jpg   GS Doorlock-img_0090.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! lamoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    sydney-newport
    Posts
    367

    Default GS Doorlock

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    lamoor - had the same issue with mine. Bit of light steel wool work and extensive chrome polish by hand brought mine up reasonably.

    If you have problems with the locks themselves, that's another kettle of fish. There is a little pin that tends to break off at the end of the barrel that won't allow you to lock the car. If that is not an issue for you, I won't rabble on, but I do have a possible solution if that is the case.

    Have attached coupla snaps of final product (mine appeared a bit similar to yours before their rejuvenation)
    thanks for the heads up sparkey. will try to polish if this fails then might have to go the DS door lock road. will email some EU supplier to see what the cost and of they are remanufactured with new technology or refurbished old door locks. the beat goes on !

  5. #5
    Member artisan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ferny Creek Victoria
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Hi Lamoor,

    If polishing doen not do the trick then it seems Daniel Engelhardt has some.
    Door handles etc. GS/A - FranzŲsische Klassiker - Onlineshop

    Quote Originally Posted by lamoor View Post
    thanks for the heads up sparkey. will try to polish if this fails then might have to go the DS door lock road. will email some EU supplier to see what the cost and of they are remanufactured with new technology or refurbished old door locks. the beat goes on !
    Cheers Andrew

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •