Will my next car be a landcruiser ?
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Will my next car be a landcruiser ?

WTF ??

Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Will my next car be a landcruiser ?-landcruiser_spheres.jpg

Landcruiser spheres

This is something Citroen should have built back in the early 80's!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Dear DC

Everyone is laughing at me because my Landcruiser suspension is stuck on high - where is the lever to bring it back to normal height? Also I'm getting vertigo up here ...

Cheers

Stuckup
    Last edited by Armidillo; 8th January 2014 at 01:45 PM.

1000+ Posts

Looks like these things have been in Oz for some years.

A couple of links - seems people can't wait to get rid of the hydraulics, and go back to steel springs only!

AHC Toyota LAND CRUISER - YouTube

We tackle Toyota Flagship''s Active Height Control limitations - Information Articles Go See Australia Directory

Off Topic: LC100 Sahara AHC suspension alternative [Archive] - PradoPoint - Toyota Prado 4x4 Landcruiser Forum

Cheers

Alec

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

There's a business opportunity there for someone probably ............. Regassing land cruiser spheres There's probably hundreds of $$$ each new after all.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

Yes, Pleiades have seen that, but so have Pedders, offering a standard spring replacement kit.
    https://sites.google.com/site/pleiad...ensionspheres/
    Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series Suspension | Pedders Suspension

So did Toyota buy the system and rights from Citroen? Might explain why Citroen has discontinued using it.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Fellow Frogger!

The use of spheres has been done by other manufacturers for years. Benz built their own ( that were not spherical ) BMW also use them on upmarket 4WDs ( though I doubt we get any here ). Spheres have been available as modifications to Euro vans from specailist manufacturers. I believe John Deere use hydropneumatics in some tractors ( and as such are a useful source of LHM ). Hydro accumulators were also used as pressure storage for Jaguar and some Audi abs braking systems and in some US systems too. Ferrari have used spheres on the front axle to self level some rear engined cars. Rolls Royce used the system under licence but just to self level. The Rollers still rode on steel. Bilstein offer a self levelling shock absorber strut that doesn't require a pump, as road motion is used to generate the pressure. You are probably right about expired patents, but who knows about the associated software designs that give us Hydractive systems. No doubt others will reply. That is what makes Aussiefrogs to fascinating.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    The use of spheres has been done by other manufacturers for years. Benz built their own ( that were not spherical )....
    I can tell you from experience that the spheres used on the W124 Benz' (at the rear, wagon only) are shaped very much like the 'pineapple' style spheres on a CX, Instead of being applied at the top of the strut they're remotely mounted in their own little cubby below the 3rd seat, with an in and an out pressure line. The system is supposed to be primarily for self-levelling, but I can tell you a flat sphere feels very much like a flat one in a D. The height cannot be adjusted from in the car.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

And remember Toyota use ONE and only ONE unfortunately as the pressure accumulator on their Prius. Pity no-one has done what Citroen did and use the hydraulic system for everything. Suspending the vehicle and self levelling, steering, gear changing, power clutch, move the pedals, raise and lower headlights. They could have done more if Paul Mages had his way
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

HRE, have you ever tried to rebuild a Benz height corrector? One place I haunt, had a crack at it, but without joy.

UFO

Shane may already know that a C4 EGS gearbox has a black accumulator sphere on it. I assume pressure is generated within the gearbox somehow.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    HRE, have you ever tried to rebuild a Benz height corrector? One place I haunt, had a crack at it, but without joy.
    No- never have tried. I should ask to see more. The man I bought the wagon from is a well regarded independent Mercedes service shop. His main mechanic did show me how to set the ride height, but geeze that's a fiddly job. Not at all difficult, just a pain in the arse.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Shane may already know that a C4 EGS gearbox has a black accumulator sphere on it. I assume pressure is generated within the gearbox somehow.
    There's a pump right next to the sphere - looks like an ABS pump motor; squat cylindrical shape.

Pneumatic systems utilising spheres for suspension and ground pressure equalisation have been all over high end tractors and farm equipment for yonks.

Roger

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    There's a pump right next to the sphere - looks like an ABS pump motor; squat cylindrical shape.
    I'll have a closer look and take a pic when I do an oil change in a couple of weeks.

The hydraulic lift that elevates the Wurlitzer console at Campsie Orion Centre has a very similar sphere near the top of the cylinder following a major refurb a few years ago.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information