2CV/GS transmissions
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 2CV/GS transmissions

What is the strongest 2CV gearbox,Dyane?. how strong are GS gearboxes also how does the size compare?,i had a couple of GS in the 1980s but cannot remember the size.

Advertisement

As a younger men, I used to thrash my GS unmercifully. Never had a moments trouble with the gearbox nor the clutch.
    Why do you need this advice? Building something special?

Fellow Frogger!

I'm a convert to the LNA gearbox, gs type with lower ratios.
    To make it fit you need a Visa bellhousing as it is shorter than the gs and couples to the 2cv engine. You maintain the 2cv flywheel and clutch.
    Being able to overtake in 3rd gear at 100km/h+ is amazing! Also being able to pull it into 1st to hit a sand dune is awesome
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dOZXsDuwaU
    Here is my LNA and the visa bellhousing with grooves cut out to fit the disc brakes.

Dyane boxes are no stronger but have longer ratios, good for highway cruising.
    Earlier 2cv box ratios are lower so better for raiding etc.
    The gs type boxes are stronger and have less moving parts. A 1015 gs box is the best ratio you will find in Australia. Lna can but sort and shipped from France.

Check at Cats 2cv site for all the info and ratio calculator.

Harley

Sent via the future...

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Harley,i am looking at the BMW setup for a dedicaited club competition car,been out of it for too long (5 years) and at present prepare a Gould hillclimb car for the NSW hillclimb series also Australian champion 2012 but he stuck it in during 2nd days practice at Mt Cotton this year-multi fractures to left wrist.

Fellow Frogger!

Bmw engine is the modern way for the 2cv. One of our members is currently getting a kit sent over fron Pete Sparrow of England... http://www.sparrowautomotive.co.uk/citroen2cvbmw.html
    He will be using a 2cv box which has been proven reliable, particularly for the 850cc variety.
    If you do use the 1015gs box (5 speeds can be used but are a bit long which means raising the box above the steering rack, putting excess angle on drive shafts) you will need adapter plates made as the GS box, surprisingly, is narrower than the 2cv...

Harley

Sent via the future...

Fellow Frogger!

Here is Pete Sparrows 'Mule' setting a class record in a hill climb event

Harley

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Harley,i will be in the UK during May/June for the hillclimbs at Gurston Down,Shelsey Walsh and Loton Park and intend to drop in and see Pete.

JBN

Some really interesting vehicles on display. I notice Peter doesn't have head restraints to cope with the acceleration. Maybe when he develops the car a bit further?

John

Thread Information