Xantia Activa doesn't rise normally! Unusual balance on left side!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon2 Xantia Activa doesn't rise normally! Unusual balance on left side!

Hi Froggers,

Greetings to every one for the new year!

Advertisement

I'm back after long-long time. I'm living in Cyprus and an unusual problem with my Xantia Activa, brings me to you again.

The left side of my 1999 Xantia Activa 2.0i, doesn't rise at all.

I have imported it from UK together with a second identical one and now are the only two Activa cars in Cyprus, since this model never imported in Cyprus by the main Citroen dealer. So no one expert or professional mechanic here in Cyprus has any experience with Activa cars.

Here is a description of the problem:
    The car is totally lowered and rest down. I switch on the engine with the height control lever in normal position. The car after a half minute starts to rise up, but the left hand side of the car (front and rear) stays down. When I put the height control lever in "higher normal" position the car continues to raise only on the right hand side. Then with the height control lever in highest position the car raises on the right hand side at full height and on the left hand side raises just 7cm. In all positions (normal, higher normal and highest) there is no suspension at all.
    I have replaced all the spheres (10 in total) with new ones, but the situation remains the same.

I have spotted a parallel problem, which I believe was related with this unusual balance and I think I solved it. The plate which supports the front height control has been lowered, due to a forward movement of the whole exhaust pipe, caused perhaps by scrubbing on the ground when the car was rolling backwards in lower position while downloaded from a platform vehicle during the transportation from its origin to the port. The exhaust pipe has pushed down the height control mechanism and forward its correction link, with the result that the height control and other mechanisms, on the same plate, have lost their proper adjustment. Now I have solved this by moving back the exhaust pipe to its position and elevating the corrector plate to its proper height. I don't know if there is any permanent damage on it while the balancing problem exists.

Has anybody experienced the same or similar problem?

Any advice is welcome!

Happy new year to all the froggers,
    Yiannis

"Citroens never die, just sit for a little while"

Fellow Frogger!

I used to look after an activa that had a weird issue that was a little similar. On this car be right side would rise first then the left jump up suddenly, also, when that car was sitting idling the left would constantly correct itself raising and lowering around 1-2 cm each side of normal height. Was going back a while now, and details are sketchy, but I recall a pushrod connected to the lower left control arm that transfered movement through a couple of pivots and I think went to a potentiometer. This pushrod had a couple of mm of movement in the bush where it went through the k frame, and lost movement there. When rectified the car behaved as normal.
    Don't know if this helps, and its the only activa I've ever had much to do with. Good luck.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Tadpole

Hi angru.
    Thanks for your reply.

If I consider the number of views (86) and the number of replies (only 1) 2 days after the posting, I conclude that this problem must be very unusual and rare or very difficult to spot the failure.

I thing that the problem must be mechanical, something like that you've describe. And this must be related to the problem I've describe above, regarding the forward knocking of exhaust pipe.

Thanks for your help,
    Yiannis
    Last edited by citroyiannis; 2nd January 2014 at 05:51 AM.

Tadpole

Hi angru,

Best wishes for the new year!

Thanks for your tips. Following is a diagram of Suspension Rigidity Regulator for an Activa.
    There are two pushrods (Nos 12 and13 in diagram) connected to a hydraulic control lever, No 11 in diagram. Are those pushrods that you are referring to? Are the set of 2 control guides, No 16, the bush you are referring to?

Any idea or suggestion about this issue, from anyone is welcome.

Happy New Year to all froggers!
    Yiannis

Xantia Activa doesn't rise normally! Unusual balance on left side!-xantia-activa-diagram.jpg
    24/09/11
    0291 03 4355 01
    SUSPENSION RIGIDITY REGULATOR

01 5277 01
    NFP
    01 SUSPENSION RIGIDITY REGULATOR
    ASS
    02 5277 08 01 REAR HYDRAULIC HEIGHT CORRECTR
    03 5277 03 01 FRONT SUSPENSION SPHERE + GASK
    400CM3 30 BARS
    04 5277 04 01 FRONT SUSPENSION SPHERE + GASK
    400CM3 62 BARS
    05 5277 07
    NFP
    01 HYD SUSPENSION SPHERE BRACKET
    06 5277 06
    NFP
    01 ELECTRO VALVE
    07 5272 15 02 SQUARE SEAL
    37,4X42X2,6
    08 1210 06 01 BLEED SCREW
    09 2088 15 01 BLEEDER SCREW CAP
    10 5276 05
    NFP
    03 GEAR-BOX HOUSING COLUMN SCREW
    6X100 IM 18 L 75 E 8
    11 5273 26 01 HYDRAULIC HEIGHT CONTROL LEVER
    ASS
    12 5273 37
    NFP
    01 HYD HEIGHT CONTROL ROD
    LEFT
    13 5273 38 01 HYD HEIGHT CONTROL ROD
    RIGHT
    14 5273 31
    NFP
    01 HEAT SHIELD
    15 5273 29 02 FLANGE
    16 5273 60 02 SET 2 CONTROL GUIDES
    17 5291 03 01 CORRECTION LINK
    18 5273 39 02 FLANGE
    19 5273 12 08 SEAL WASHER
    70 6921 24 02 HEX HEAD CAPSCREW
    DIAM 7X100-14
    71 6922 72
    RP 6914 62
    HEX HEAD CAPSCREW
    8X125-30
    72 6923 77
    RP 6923 H0
    SELF LOCKING SELF-TAP SCREWS
    DIAM 6X100-16
    73 6922 C7 04 SELF LOCKING SELF-TAP SCREWS
    DIAM 6X100-30
    74 6925 Q5
    RP 6925 W9
    SCREW WITH BASE
    8X125-30
    75 6962 70 02 FLEXIBLE WASHER
    7X18-1,4
    76 6947 79 02 PLAIN WASHER
    8X22-2,5
    77 6939 97 01 NUT WITH WASHER
    DIAM 6X100-7-18
    Last edited by citroyiannis; 2nd January 2014 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by citroyiannis View Post
    Hi angru.
    Thanks for your reply.

If I consider the number of views (86) and the number of replies (only 1) 2 days after the posting, I conclude that this problem must be very unusual and rare or very difficult to spot the failure.

I thing that the problem must be mechanical, something like that you've describe. And this must be related to the problem I've describe above, regarding the forward knocking of exhaust pipe.

Thanks for your help,
    Yiannis
    Hi Yiannis,

I think you are right - I've never heard of such a problem. Usually on this forum several people will have comments about most hydropneumatic matters.

Still, one person has come across it, or something similar.

Good luck!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

I just found the way to "steal-copy" the diagram from Citro.. site and I have posted it on the previous post.
    Sorry guys.

Yiannis

I would think that the exhaust moving has damaged the anti roll corrector with its balance plate and link system you have in the diagram. Perhaps you should look for more damage there.

Cheers,

Ken W

Tadpole

Hi Ken,
    This was my first thought, the damage was done from an exhaust pipe forward move. I wander why nobody else hasn't experienced a similar problem, as this movement of exhaust occurs when it dragged on the ground. This is usual in cases of transportation with platform vehicle, when the car is rolling down backwards and has lost its normal height (lower height position). This issue should be very common for Xantias activa or hydractive. Do you thing we resolve a big mystery?
    Yiannis
    Last edited by citroyiannis; 3rd January 2014 at 11:19 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

I think the one I had the issue with turned out to be (12) in that diagram, and the bracket it mounts on (I think 16). Good luck with it, and I look forward to hearing how it works out.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thread Information