Xantia rocker cover....WHAT?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xantia rocker cover....WHAT?

Hi Froggers,
    I hope everyone had a great and happy Christmas. ( 2013)

I have a 1996 Xantia VSX, auto, 4 cylinder, 8 valve. It's been a great car, I bought it from a fellow Frogger, who said " This car has been so reliable, it's boring". I figured, That's the car for me. So reliable , it's boring.
    I find this car anything but boring, I really love the ride quality. There has been a couple of minor issues, all easy to fix. The Auto has been totally dependable, never an issue. So has the motor.

In the car's past, it was discovered that the rocker cover had a crack, so oil ran out everywhere. This was corrected with the use of a fair bit of silicone at the time, and until now it's been a good fix.
    I recently visited the wreckers, and noticed a series 1 Xantia with everything complete under the bonnet.
    A few weeks later, I was back, and found someone had removed the air filter cover and air filter, but left the rocker cover. I checked the price, very cheap at the wreckers, so I grabbed it.
    My plan was to remove my rocker cover, fit this alternative one, and use my air filter and cover.
    Before I removed my car's rocker cover, I took out the air filter cover, and tried to fit it to the 'new' rocker cover.
    NO GO.
    I can't believe it, for some unknown reason, the car builders decided to CHANGE the rocker cover unit, to make them INCOMPATIBLE.
    Seriously, WHY do this?
    So now, I have to try to find a Xantia air filter cover which has a 21cm distance between the securing screws.
    The old one is exactly 20cm between the screw centres.
    For #*&# sake, WHY make this one have a 21 cm wide gap? Why change it???

If anyone out there has a Xantia air filter cover with a gap of about 21 cm between the securing screws, please let me know if you want to sell it to me.

Cheers....George 1/8th.

Advertisement

Can't you fix it with a drill and one or two holes, or is more than that different?

Sounds like a David Cavanagh or Martin Bray call.

Why on earth??? There must be a reason, perhaps improving compatibility with other models. From where you sit, any reason would be bad though.

It sounds as if we are close to needing Xantia parts cars. They come up for sale well under $1000 these days, ridiculously cheap for such good engineering, at least in most ways...

As an aside, you have to wonder how on earth the first one cracked? Metallic epoxy is wonderful stuff too. Drill a hole at the end of the crack, grind it out a bit to present a clean surface, and make a patch perhaps.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi John, the original cover is totally incompatible with the newer one I bought at the wreckers, even though both are from series one Xantias, both Automatic, both 2 litre, both 8 valve.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Can't you fix it with a drill and one or two holes, or is more than that different?
    These parts should just fit together, no alteration should be required.

Sounds like a David Cavanagh or Martin Bray call.
    Maybe yes, tomorrow.

Why on earth??? There must be a reason, perhaps improving compatibility with other models. From where you sit, any reason would be bad though.
    Unless they had to revise the build because of a poor design, maybe the originals all crack and leak oil?
    It sounds as if we are close to needing Xantia parts cars. They come up for sale well under $1000 these days, ridiculously cheap for such good engineering, at least in most ways...
    I can't imagine my wife agreeing to having a wreckers yard in the driveway, nice though a parts car sounds. Yep, they are cheap enough.
    As an aside, you have to wonder how on earth the first one cracked? Metallic epoxy is wonderful stuff too. Drill a hole at the end of the crack, grind it out a bit to present a clean surface, and make a patch perhaps.
    I have no idea how or why the first one has cracked. I haven't even removed it yet to have a look. Metallic Epoxy,
    a great idea, but I thought I was being clever by just replacing the faulty one. To use the modular approach, a simple swap over. The part was cheap enough, even though incomplete. Now I have to wait till I can find the missing cover, the correct one. I thought someone on this forum might have been familiar with this Citroen subterfuge, "Le Bureau De Bastarde" seems to have tricked me this time.

Thanks for your suggestion John, I'll start with an attempt to find the right cover first. cheers...George 1/8th

I'm beginning to understand why the dealers won't talk to me without a VIN number then!! It took 20 minutes to find me an oil filter the other day!

Then again, I'm there so rarely, and it is always for something odd (filter for a BX is "odd" to them, these days) so maybe it is their way of saying they don't want to see me any more!

Maybe you are right about the first design cracking. The club president in Q'ld has a very high mileage early 8V manual, so he might know.

Amazing.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

There's nothing on Service CitroŽn about different covers to the Series 1 cars with XU10J2 motors.

Perhaps one was a 1.8 litre engine?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    There's nothing on Service CitroŽn about different covers to the Series 1 cars with XU10J2 motors.

Hi Addo, maybe that's right, I don't know, but there seems to be no reason to just make one air filter cover one centimeter larger than another. Seriously, one is 20 cm, the other is 21cm. I'm talking about the distance between 2 screws. Otherwise the two air filter boxes look almost identical. They are just different enough that they have to have their own covers. I wonder if any of the Peugeots had the same type of air cleaner,filter box integrated with the rocker cover?
    cheers....George 1/8th.

Facelift 405 and 306 are worth looking at. Try donors with the same engine code as yours in their VIN.

1000+ Posts

May have done it 'cause they could' as the saying goes these days.Probably a genuine reason though.The inswer will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post

If so, perhaps alloy block on 1.8, like our 306. Cast iron blocks for the 2 litre engines. Easy to check that.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    If so, perhaps alloy block on 1.8, like our 306. Cast iron blocks for the 2 litre engines. Easy to check that.
    Hi John, I checked...both the 1800 and 2LTR engines have alloy heads. I also found some cars with one type of air cleaner/rocker cover, and others with the other type, there seems to be no rhyme or reason.
    The same goes for the Peugeot variety, the 306s have both types too.
    This is interesting, both types fit equally well on both motors. They both have the same hose connectors , the same sizes in the same places. They both take the same air filter.
    It's just that I grabbed a part, and thought I had a matching part, but didn't. Anyway, I found the necessary part today at a wrecker, and grabbed it.
    So, I cleaned up the silicone original seal, added some of that blue gasket stuff, and fitted the "new" rocker cover unit.
    I checked the torque data for these rocker cover nuts, 7 ft lbs, or 10 Nm, then I discovered I had a stripped nut amongst the bunch of 10. Nice one. I fitted a different 10mm nut, and found I still couldn't torque it to the required setting , so I might have a stripped stud. Of course, the stud will be ok, it will be stripped in the alloy head.
    I tried not to be too worried about this, and waited for the blue gasket stuff to dry before running the engine.
    It seems to be ok, drove it a few kilometers, checked, no apparent oil leaks. So, that was my original goal, no oil leaks.
    I might consider grabbing some spare studs from the wrecker , and nuts, for a future stud/thread helicoil job.
    Then again, it it's not leaking I might just leave it.

Cheers....George 1/8th.

BLOCKS not heads George. AFAIK, all the 1.8 L engines have alloy blocks unpainted and the 2.0 L ones are cast iron blocks in black enamel. It's an easy way of sorting out which capacity it is, at least I think so. Anyway, judging by your post it doesn't matter anyway!

Our 306 was made in England and after a while the RHD Peugeots were made in France again if I recall - country of manufacture perhaps? But I don't recall that Xantias were made in UK anyway, so that doesn't work.

No oil leaks mean mission accomplished! It just means the job is a bit harder if the cover comes off for some reason in the future, and it may never need to!

My oil leak problem this week is fitting a Renault 4CV sump gasket from underneath, and it is four separate pieces of cork, with corners.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information