'03 C5 problems...
  • Register
  • Help

Default '03 C5 problems...

Hi there,

My '03 C5 (2.0L Petrol, pre-facelift) has been playing up intermittently recently. Basic rundown;

Anti-Pollution Warning coming up every so often, would disappear and then come back again. Diagnosed as faulty secondary air pump, not yet replaced.

Over the past few months, noticed the car was getting significantly harder to start when cold. At least 2 long-ish cranks before it kicked into life. Started fine once warm.

Also noticed gearbox was getting a bit rough on its downshifts, felt like it was slamming in the gears rather than a nice, smooth progression.

Few months ago, car started fine after work, drove down the road; car starts misfiring badly, has no power at all, almost violently shaking. CATALYTIC CONVERTER ERROR comes up on the display. Nurse car back to work, turn off, turn back on; car is fine, drove home and drove for at least 3 months without any problem at all. Put it down to a glitch and thought not much more of it.

Last week, as mum was driving the car, the car repeated the shaking, misfiring and the catalytic convertor error came up again. Luckily was only a few metres from home so nursed it home and has sat in the garage since.

Car starts, misfires and runs rich. Checked display, got:

- ANTI-POLLUTION WARNING
    - ESP/ASR NOT FUNCTIONING
    - CATALYTIC CONVERTER ERROR

Replaced coil pack, fuel filter, spark plugs. Car starts and runs reasonably better, but still has a misfire.

Interesting that when I remove this part; the car seems to run ok. Does anybody know what it is? Has a plug that goes into it as well.

Advertisement

'03 C5 problems...-null_zpsbc37d2b7.jpg

Im just doing some basic troubleshooting before I get it to a garage to get scanned.

Thanks in advance for the help

Josh

JM Photography Works Website, JM Photography Works Facebook <- Like this!
    R31 Series 3 Ti
    '04 C5 2.0 Petrol
    '02 BMW E39 530i Sport Individual
    '03 Scenic 2.0 Dynamique (RIP)

The money you spent on coils (assuming bought new) may have been better invested in a diagnostic setup for yourself.

First thing I'd be checking is battery charging voltage, and doing a load test on the battery. A shorted cell might be upsetting the works - ESP faults "out of the blue" are often a sign of voltage issues, however they can equally be the brake pedal switch on a C5.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmphotoworks View Post
    Hi there,

My '03 C5 (2.0L Petrol, pre-facelift) has been playing up intermittently recently. Basic rundown;
    =========
    Replaced coil pack, fuel filter, spark plugs. Car starts and runs reasonably better, but still has a misfire.
    Interesting that when I remove this part; the car seems to run ok. Does anybody know what it is? Has a plug that goes into it as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	null_zpsbc37d2b7.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	51221

Im just doing some basic troubleshooting before I get it to a garage to get scanned.
    Thanks in advance for the help
    Josh
    Hi Josh
    The part in your hand is the air intake elbow which links the air filter connecting hose to the throttle body.
    Not sure what plugs into that ??
    It might point to a blocked air intake or totally clogged filter perhaps if the engine runs better without it. The air intake is below the filter box and "may" have sucked in a rag or a cat or even a rabbit, (someone reported on here once)
    I assume you checked Addos suggestions.

Good luck Jaahn

Thread Information