C5 X7 information
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 X7 information

Hello everyone and best wishes of the season to all.

Advertisement

I am looking around at the latest body shape C5's with a view to buying one second hand.

I am not new to Citroens but I have never owned a diesel before so I am after a bit of information.

Firstly, there seems to be a wide variety of diesel engines available depending on the year and spec level. I was wondering what the AF community would consider to be the best one to look for. My main concerns are reliability, service costs and driveability. Fuel use is not a huge issue for me.

Second, what are the maintenance issues for diesels? Do these engines have any major periodical service costs such as cambelts, expensive filters etc?

Third, are there any known issues to look out for on the new models, such as the dreaded AL4 gearbox on the previous body shape?

Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks in advance,

Jeff

1000+ Posts

2010 on has the newer motors - 6 and 4 cylinders. The 2.0l 4 (look for RHH in the VIN) is a beauty. X7s come with a 6 speed Japanese Aisin auto box, shared by other European and American makes. Driveability is good; they have a cam belt to be replaced; and a tank of expensive Eolys to be topped up at 160,000 km. It is used to modify the exhaust chemistry so soot can be burned off in the (FAP) filter. You'll find the exhaust and pipe to be as clean as a whistle. There is a fuel filter to be serviced, like all diesels, but the cartridge isn't dear. They have tyre pressure sensors to watch for when changing or swapping tyres.

Very very comfortable and quiet cars, the major gripe is poor internal storage for your bits and bobs - that includes the service book, let alone a street directory. An absolute delight on rural roads.

You'll likely get a large mileage before major engine problems, and like other diesels if the head ever has to come off it won't be cheap. Many of the newer cars have steel spring suspension with shocks instead of hydraulics, and these do ride well.

I don't know the answers to the questions you've posed, but I thought I'd chime in with some positive feedback.

I've traveled 33,000km in the past twelve months, most of it in Sydney peak hour traffic and averaged 9.5l/100. I've also done the odd trip to Canberra and the Central Coast and the car is truly exceptional out there on the open road. It's a real shame we have the speed limits we do. I seriously did not expect to enjoy this car as much as I do. It's been great!
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

UFO

Had mine nearly 5 years and have clocked up nearly 120k km. It's the earlier 2 litre HDi with 100kW. Later engine has more, but it's the torque that does the work anyway.

If I had the choice I would stick to the 17" wheels rather than the 18s that were standard. That little extra sidewall would make the ride a little more supple I expect.

Fuel consumption is 6.4 l/100km for nearly all of my driving. I do 70km return to work each day at mostly 100km/h. When we lived in Sydney the consumption was around 7.2.

Interior storage is small. Not having a hatch back is a pain after having had a BX then XM previously.

Electric memory seats are excellent (driver's massage is a bonus!). Sound system with bluetooth is good. I love the fixed centre steering wheel. All the buttons are in my memory now so that I do not need to look to reference them.

I have to decide soon whether to extend the lease another 2 years or go for a new lease vehicle. If it all works out right and/or hydraulic C5s are NLA then I may just stick with this one.

Services have been every 20k km and are a reasonable price - the 100k km service included timing belt and some brake work and was a bit over $1,000.

Some will rant on about "they chew through brakes" but I got a tad over 60k km out of the fronts and apparently that is a good outcome. I can only think some others use their brakes way too much/do not know how to read traffic and use the gearbox.

The AW6 auto is bliss. It works SO well with the diesel that it beats the heck out of me why anyone would want to change gears themselves - particularly for driving in any sort of traffic or meandering along freeways.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Our 2011 C5 turned over 49,000km today on a return trip to Perth. The trip computer was showing 5.5l/100km and the previous 10,000km is 6.2l/100km
    My only concern is that the 'fuzzy' logic of the automatic gearbox seems to have gone 'fuzzy' - it doesn't want to change into fifth or sixth gear (well not consistently - and NO I'm not driving with the foot to the floor). Even just cruising along at 100kph it stubbornly stays in fifth. If I switch across to 'manual' and select sixth then it will do so. Of course at lower speeds you can select any gear that you want and it will decide which gear you can have :-(
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

My 2010 C5 now has 65,000km on the odometer. No faults have occurred. Service costs during warrantee have been $350 to $700.
    The auto is so smoooooth. As UFO says the fixed steering wheel boss is good and functional (once you get to know it).
    I miss the hatch from my previous C5 and the more functional cockpit. The engine is great. On a recent 460km trip the car averaged 5.6l/100Km.This included driving around the metropolis of Launceston city. The economy is getting better. The phone function works well. The cruise control is the best I have used. I engage the stiffer suspension on the windy bits.
    My 15,000Km odyssey to the great West Australia ( via.Denmark rmac, you were in northern France.) We were able to fuel up in Ceduna and get to Balledonia on one tank of fuel We may have made Norsman but took on $30 of fuel at B. just in case.
    Last afternoon we were invited to a BBQ at a farm. The track was very boggy. We followed the farmers 4WD with great trepidation. On particularly boggy section I raised the car up from normal setting and engaged the "snow" button and squirmed and bumped through the mire. There were several expletives contributed by the navigator. We sailed through.
    A wonderful car. Allan.

UFO

You reminded me about the usefulness of snow mode when on dirt. Works a treat as you're not putting down too much power in too low a gear.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone driven the larger diesels? 2.7l or 3.0l six cylinder engines?

No not me.
    You may be surprised at the torque when in normal driving mode. The 2L Hdi is not a point and squirt car but coming up behind a 110Km road train and wishing to pass, the 2L is more than adequate. The car does not change down as the max. torque is at 1800rpm so it just surges past in top gear. it is s only doing 2100 rpm at this speed.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by jlmdsims View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Has anyone driven the larger diesels? 2.7l or 3.0l six cylinder engines?
    Boyracer's is a 3l v6.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by jlmdsims View Post
    Not the 6-cylinder, bit mine is 2011 2.2L (twin turbo with 150Kw power and 450 Nm torque) which is about same stats as earlier 6 cylinder models.

I know fuel is not an issue for you but I've been surprised. Fuel consumption overall for me is around 7.2L/100km (official rating is something ridiculous like 4.9) but I can only get 5.4 on highway driving. Most of my driving is urban.

Only problem I've had is rear brakes that had to be replaced at 50,000km.

Service costs, so I am told by dealer, are same as for 2.0 model. Biggest cost will be timing belt every 100,000km. Oil filters and oil are more expensive for diesels, but more than offset by lack of electrics - no points, spark-plugs,etc to replace. Diesel fuel is generally not subject to discounting so is sometimes more and sometimes less expensive than petrol, depending on the discount cycle.

Downside is 2.2 is pretty rare. There was a recall in 2012 (for a missing fuel hose clip) that listed only 14 VINs in Australia. Might be more now though.

Tony

1000+ Posts

I agree with Tasie - the 2.0 HDI has more than adequate acceleration, certainly enough to attract the gendarmes, and is an easier motor to service. It is found also in Peugeot 508s.

TRT mentioned oil and filter. The approved Total product can be got full retail for about $65 per 5 litre container. If you use a distributor you may have to buy 15l. My last Purflux filter cartridge cost me about $16. Dealers charge much more. The hardest thing about DIY servicing is lifting the car (the usual hydraulic warning applies) and getting the undertray off! It's easy using standard ramps.

Brake discs and pads are available from the usual non-dealer suspects, and can done by anybody.

If only they would get rid of the German style front seats with the horns pressing into your legs - what happened to the super seats in P505s? Even so, I get a smile every time I use my car. Thanks to depreciation a second-hand C5 can be very affordable, more so than a P508 which has much in common with it.

Thread Information