• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By daffyduck
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric

Thread: Interpreting workshop wiring diagram for the solenoid starter

Default Interpreting workshop wiring diagram for the solenoid starter

Hi folks,

I've been reading the difficulty that Phil has been having in tracing wires for his solenoid, I'm in a similar position but needed clarification on how to interpret the diagram.

I've got a DS21, injection, BVH, the starter solenoid on the battery had just failed prior to my purchase and was removed, now I want to add it and I need to identify the wires for it but could do with some assistance to ensure I'm reading the diagram correctly, please see a section of the diagram I'm trying to interpret below:

image | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

From my interpretation of the diagram and my understanding, there should be two wires coming off the positive pole from the battery (hence they are always connected to the plus side of the battery) is this correct? And they should be a black and a red wire. The black wire which is referenced as N25 goes from the battery into the loom and emerges at the side of the battery cage and feeds to all 3 relays at point 30/51 of the relay. Therefore to identify I've got the correct black wire to the positive battery terminal I need to do a continuity check to see if the wires going to 30/51 on the relays has continuity with the black wire on my positive pole?

Now with regards to the dashed line from the battery going to the ignition switch relay and then to the positive of the coil, does that wire get connected to the other side of the starter solenoid where the starter cable is connected, rather then the side which is permanently on battery positive?

Thanks.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Pommiefrog; 28th December 2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Regards,

George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

Hotrodelectric is currently unavailable as he is snoozing in my recliner. I will alert him to this thread in the morning.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Pommiefrog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Hotrodelectric is currently unavailable as he is snoozing in my recliner. I will alert him to this thread in the morning.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    i just picked up a second hand recliner in top condition so i know how good it is to lie back, no snoozing though.

Fellow Frogger!

The BVH's start switch just provides a ground path allowing the solenoid's magnet to pull in. The solenoid's magnet gets its voltage directly from the battery via its clamped connection terminal. Normally that ground path is provided via the voltage regulator - provides a "safety" feature - prevents engine being started (or turned over) if the ignition is 'off'. As Bill stated previously this works just fine as long as the original charging system is in the car. If an internally regulated alternator has been installed then one has to provide a separate ground path for that switch - this works (how I have my car set up) but does over ride the 'safety' feature of the factory set up.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks, that helps a lot, also read what Bill just wrote explaining how the solenoid works and how it's connected, seems quite straightforward now....
    Regards,

George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pommiefrog View Post
    Hi Steve,

Many thanks, that helps a lot, also read what Bill just wrote explaining how the solenoid works and how it's connected, seems quite straightforward now....

Hi George,

Glad it helped - electricity is not one of my really strong points - as Bill well knows........IIRC in a 'normal' set up the BVH's start position will only have an 'active ground' when the charge light is illuminated. IOW, if brain cells have not completely gone dead, once the alternator 'turns on', IOW the charge light goes out, that ground is disconnected.

Steve

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Hi George,

Glad it helped - electricity is not one of my really strong points - as Bill well knows........IIRC in a 'normal' set up the BVH's start position will only have an 'active ground' when the charge light is illuminated. IOW, if brain cells have not completely gone dead, once the alternator 'turns on', IOW the charge light goes out, that ground is disconnected.

Steve
    I have taught you well, my young Padawan....
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thread Information