First post and first car citroen ax gt!, need some help if i can
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First post and first car citroen ax gt!, need some help if i can

Tadpole

Default First post and first car citroen ax gt!, need some help if i can

Hey guys my name is Cooper im from Adelaide and recently got my first car which is a citroen ax gt which was purchased from a member on this forum by one of my close family friends who got the car for me! I love this car so much and so much fun to drive and have got a few plans for it.

My first plan is to fix the fuel pump, not sure if getting old and tired or just cant keep up with the carbs but tonight was not such a great drive as it was starving of fuel like crazy, got to windy point almost fine, starving at some points here and there but today when i got on to southern eastern free way i could not get past 40k's with out it starving like no tomorrow, it was terrible so we turned of the high way and went back home going downhill was a lot better but still starved every known again if the revs were high, but i couldnt under stand how the car went up a hill that was alot steeper and was almost fine to then just absolute crap haha :/ O well but could the carbs need cleaning to? so im wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on how i should go about it?

Thanks guys in the future!

Cooper

Advertisement

If you think it's carburetion, it's ignition and vice versa.

Is the car fitted with a cat?

Tadpole

what do you mean by a cat? still learning my car terminology haha

1000+ Posts

Australia's FIRST Citroen Cooper.It is all right though-we have ALL left the handbrake on !?!?!?

1000+ Posts

Australia's FIRST Citroen Cooper.It is all right though-we have ALL left the handbrake on !?!?!?

Cats are the things that chase mice-Hate them meeeces to pieces-or is it 'Ate them meeeces to pieces.

It is okay-you will get used to it -the occasional rib-Welcome & enjoy the Cit & the assistance from the guys [& the occasional lady] who will do their best to enjoy your ownership.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post

Cats are the things that chase mice-Hate them meeeces to pieces-or is it 'Ate them meeeces to pieces.

It is okay-you will get used to it -the occasional rib-Welcome & enjoy the Cit & the assistance from the guys [& the occasional lady] who will do their best to enjoy your ownership.

Hi Cooper,
    It would appear a few others don't know what a "cat" is.
    This abbreviation is used to describe the catalytic converter, the first "box" in the exhaust system after the manifold & before any mufflers, & there to scrub the gasses of nasty contaminants.
    They can block, but more often rattle and burn out, sometimes releasing bits of the contents into the following mufflers.
    I agree that many problems attributed to fuel supply can turn out to be ignition & vice versa. If your car has the old points system, it would be worth replacing them & the condenser,& resetting the timing. Failing high tension leads can give variable symptoms too, but if the car starts & idles reliably, & is not stuttering or missing at high speed, I think checking the simple things first is the way to go.
    My suggestion is to start by replacing the inline fuel filter, then checking flow from the pump, & looking for air leaks on the suction side to the tank. Might also be an idea to check that the tank can breath too.
    After that look at thoroughly cleaning the carburettor.
    Checking the colour of deposits on the spark plugs can supply clues too. Black with soot suggesting flooding & excessive fuel or blocked air filter. White deposits, starving of fuel. Oily black soot, oil & failing rings etc.. Some plug manufacturers used to supply diagnostic charts & you may be able to find one online.

The fun has just started. Oh, the joy of it all !

Good luck,
    Richard
    addo and Cooperjs like this.

1000+ Posts

Yes indeed welcome!

I had fuel starvation in a Xantia. Being fuel injected, the engine would actually cut out when the mixture got too lean. Turned out to be gunk on the fuel strainer - in the fuel tank! A good starting place would be a new fuel filter if you are not sure of the age of current one - in fact a good overall service is usually the best starting place, unless you know when the last one was done. Suggest change spark plugs and leads at the same time.

Keeping a list of what you have done will help to narrow down the problem!

Best of luck

Alec

Welcome. If your AX GT is the standard Australian specification (GTi) it has a single point fuel injection (which from memory is NOT covered in the Haynes manual for the AX). I would follow addo's suggestion, as in my 3 years' experience of AX ownership many years ago all fuel supply problems were ignition-related. At this age for the car, something that seems like fuel starvation could well be a fried cat or a blocked filter, but you eventually may also find it's a dodgy intermittent electrical connection or sensor.

The AX is a great little roller-skate when it's running properly, but few people in Australia ever had experience fixing them, so this forum is probably going to be your best source of information. A limited number of parts were shared with Peugeot 205's, but someone (literally) chased me about mine and bought it before Berlingos came out here, so I've never had cause to work out if many parts are shared with the vans.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

1000+ Posts

Welcome,my first car was a light 15;had to work on it every evening so I could go out on Saturday night. May I suggest you contact previous owner who could be very helpful in letting you know what has/hasn't been done, The other advice re fuel/ignition is the way to go and I would strongly lean to ignition;points,condenser,plugs,coil and leads in that order,enjoy;the fun is just starting,Andy.

I'd have thought all AXs had electronic ignition, not points?

If it is a carbureted car, it is easy to check for poor fuel supply by keying the engine off when it is misbehaving and coasting to a stop - if the fuel filter is empty then there is a problem with the pump.

If it is monopoint injection then it is harder to tell without a fuel pressure gauge.

Tadpole

Hahahahahahaha i love this forum already! Love the sense of humor you guys have hahaha, and i guess you could say i had a blond moment, when addo said cat i wasn't sure if there was another part of the car that was called cat or cat for short but yes i do know what a catalytic converter is and the car happens to have one haha. The car is has got a carby on as the original owners son imported a intake manifold and carb for it, and the owner reckons it is the fuel pump.

I also would have never thought it could have been the ignition coils or condenser and stuff like that haha.

Cooper
    Last edited by Cooperjs; 27th December 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Welcome Cooper you are going to have lots of fun in your AX when it's sorted as it will go around corners sideways.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty sure I saw you in the city on Christmas Day - was around 8pm or thereabouts...

I was in the new sh*t brown Corolla looking at the AX at the lights at Currie Street...Sorry for staring, but I haven't seen one in ages!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Were you in Adelaide joel?

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Were you in Adelaide joel?

Cam
    Yep - was there for Christmas! Were you there as well?

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    Welcome Cooper you are going to have lots of fun in your AX when it's sorted as it will go around corners sideways.
    Yeah cant wait for the car to be running mechanically well! not sure about side ways hahah

Pretty sure I saw you in the city on Christmas Day - was around 8pm or thereabouts...

I was in the new sh*t brown Corolla looking at the AX at the lights at Currie Street...Sorry for staring, but I haven't seen one in ages!
    Was there a friend in my car as well? I do recall someone in car just constantly staring at it when i was at the lights along side of it but cant remember the colour of the car.

Yeah - you had a passenger!

Smack a 16v in it - probably pick up a motor for a couple hundred dollars:

Cooperjs likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Yeah - you had a passenger!

Smack a 16v in it - probably pick up a motor for a couple hundred dollars:

hahaha thats awesome, that is something im keen on doing later down the track! Were you right along side of me at the lights?

Im wondering since my ax gt has been converted from injected to carb, could it be that the fuel pump couldn't keep up with the carb?

Cooper

Carb runs much lower fuel pressure than injection. From memory, a carbureted car should have a mechanical fuel pump that runs off the cam.

If it's been converted from injection (which I think has an in-tank pump), who knows what it now runs. Follow the fuel line from the carb and see where it goes.

Sometimes a cat converter ends up a dog.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Yeah - that was me next to you at the lights. My other half was like "Why are you so obsessed with that old red thing"...
    Cooperjs likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Yeah - that was me next to you at the lights. My other half was like "Why are you so obsessed with that old red thing"...
    HAHAHAH, you should have said hello haha, i was actually wondering why you were starring so much, not sure if was making fun of the car or actually new what it was and was having a really good look! I was thinking to my self, why does this bloke keep staring at my car hahaha
    Last edited by Cooperjs; 29th December 2013 at 01:53 AM.

If someone else has had a crack at changing stuff, the first rule is don't rely much at all on their skill or intelligence. Work from first principles, and make sure to not overheat the engine or run out of brakes.
    Cooperjs likes this.

1000+ Posts

If you are running the injection fuel pump it will be producing to much pressure for the float valve in the carb to hold back ,increasing the fuel height in the bowl causing the engine /motor to run rich ,,problem would be worse at idle if you can get it to idle ,also check for air leaks ,vacuum hoses fallen off etc, if its running rich you should be able to smell fuel in the exhaust .pugs

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    If you are running the injection fuel pump it will be producing to much pressure for the float valve in the carb to hold back ,increasing the fuel height in the bowl causing the engine /motor to run rich ,,problem would be worse at idle if you can get it to idle ,also check for air leaks ,vacuum hoses fallen off etc, if its running rich you should be able to smell fuel in the exhaust .pugs
    The car does idle fine all though it does idle very high at about 2k revs when it should be atleast 1k. I went for a drive last night and the car was running quite well, still starved of fuel at high revs but was alot better than the other night. Hopefully this week ill be able to give the car an over view on spark plugs and stuff like that, im wondering if i should take it to someone to see what they would think the problem might be. Also how would you check for air leaks?

Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information