• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By IE23
  • 1 Post By willemd
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: Contagious disease in CXs - beware

Default Contagious disease in CXs - beware

With Double Chevron documenting his starting problems with his CX I was sitting at the computer feeling very smug. The Prestige would never do that. That was until yesterday.

Advertisement

It was our section of works end of year lunch. I took 3 comrades down, you might think me slightly mad as Sydney had a 40 degree day that day. However I had parked in the shade and the air-conditioning coped very well, about half way to Bondi, our destination I dialled the thermostat round to max and was welcomed by even colder air as the re-circualtion kicked in. I even found a park in the shade at Bondi!! and the journey back was just as good. Everything was right with the world.

That was until I went to the beast to go home. Cranks like a beauty and a few kicks meaning it tries to start but no go. I am stuck because I don't have tool kit. Call the NRMA. The guy arrives in 20 mins and tests spark - no problem there. However fuel pressure is another matter so we decide the fuel pump is dead.

Thinking about it today, it could be that or maybe the big relay under the headlight that I have never had to touch on this car. I will go tomorrow with a few things and see if it is something simple but probably a tow to Jason is how it will finish.

I will try and stem the infection quickly lest it infect any other CXs
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

It's spreading cos I had 2 warning lights flashing today only over bumpy surfaces. Loose connections me thinks. I thought of CGAT's cx and thought how great it would be to replace all the wiring and relays.
    ScotFrog likes this.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Greg so with your 3 colleagues....was this just a lift for them to the venue? As opposed to the return trip as well.

I've been out and about with our GS C-Matic today leaving it parked on the front lawn. About 4pm a planned trip to the local Autobarn has to be abandoned as cannot get it into gear. Tried pushing it out the drive only to get stuck. So out with the modern and back later. Can see by the ammeter the needle is lowish, the battery is just a few weeks old. So sit there with the car running, at about 2500rpm the ammeter needle is finally vertical, now I can get into gear. This all took about the same time as bringing a Stanley steamer up to go.

So into the garage, battery isolator on. Old cars!!! There's quite a bit of difference between a new car and a 40 year old one.

Good luck with your fix!

It's spreading, now inter-species cross infection.
    My C5 has given a couple of "did I really notice that?" glitches this week where the interior fans didn't run after start-up. Switch off and on sometimes works to clear problem. But last 2 days (40 degrees of course) nothing. Doing the fingerpoken bit makes various LEDs and display changes but no fans. Switch off, scratch chin knowingly, switch on and it sometimes comes back and is fine for the duration of the trip. Till next time.
    Any clues?

Iain

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Not to worry, half the fun of owning a 25+ year old car is the opportunity to tinker with it

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by J'aime la vie View Post
    Hi Greg so with your 3 colleagues....was this just a lift for them to the venue? As opposed to the return trip as well.

I've been out and about with our GS C-Matic today leaving it parked on the front lawn. About 4pm a planned trip to the local Autobarn has to be abandoned as cannot get it into gear. Tried pushing it out the drive only to get stuck. So out with the modern and back later. Can see by the ammeter the needle is lowish, the battery is just a few weeks old. So sit there with the car running, at about 2500rpm the ammeter needle is finally vertical, now I can get into gear. This all took about the same time as bringing a Stanley steamer up to go.

So into the garage, battery isolator on. Old cars!!! There's quite a bit of difference between a new car and a 40 year old one.

Good luck with your fix!
    I wonder whether the new battery has ever been fully charged? Not fully charged when purchased and a few short runs.... Just a thought.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Not to worry, half the fun of owning a 25+ year old car is the opportunity to tinker with it

seeya,
    Shane L
    True. Providing you have spares, spare cars that is. For the first time every I have two in hospital at once at the moment. One to go. Happily neither of them is suffering from the infection reported in this thread.

Next year both Renaults will be 50+ years....

My 123 distributor is going into the C-matic (at last) over the next few weeks by the way. I'll report in due course.

Merry Christmas to all.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

You best let Santa know not to use his CX Sleigh this year.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    You best let Santa know not to use his CX Sleigh this year.
    He'd be much better off with a BX - fabulous AC to start with.

Our BX has just picked up a slight cross infection as it happens - remote locking is locking/immobilising but not fully unlocking the doors, quite suddenly. Still, nothing wrong with a key in the driver's door. Who of those involved in stealing cars would have the taste to have a go at a BX?

These things spread quickly. How it crossed the Nullarbor remains a mystery.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

It is spreading, it's now in Tassie too! When I got into my CX1 2000 break 1976 this morning to go to work, the door made a funny noise. It squeaked! Never done that before, let's quickly finish this year aye!

Willem
    UFO likes this.

...So I went the other week to take the CX for a spin. Had been using it daily but that morning it would not start. Not to worry. Take out the fly wheel sensors & give them a bit of a clean (it worked once before). No luck. Got Jason to pay a house call and of course it started first go! Next day problem returned and I nearly flattened the battery. So a full charge overnight and off we go. Problem solved (or so I thought). Yet another lovely day to take the CX out. Rotten thing decides not to start again. Oh well, I'll get it towed up to Jason after Christmas. The ball joints need doing anyway. Cheers, Petpug

is the fuel pump running ??? See if you can wiggle the wiring connectors around the blue relay (it might be under the front drivers side headlight ... they moved it around a bit). Disconnet the starter soleniod wire beside the battery and hold the ignition on, if you can't hear the fuel pump running, that's your problem! Cars that break and stay broken are the easy ones to fix, those that decide to work again are enormously harder to fix

seeya,
    Shane L.
    UFO likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

seeya,
    Shane L
    That's why I'm cutting down my collection as the tinkering is taking up too much of my free time.

First world problems, folks!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Spare cars - yeah well there are three or four in my family.

I have blufus - a nice blue BX TZI that I rebuilt the motor on a few years ago - No Chris has that on loan because it has a towbar and his BX 16 valve has an octopus leak.

Maybe I could use the Xantia Wagon - No that is on loan to Dave because his Xtrail and 306 are on their last legs.

Maybe we could use Ken's Xsara - have we solved the strange problem with the fly by wire accelerator where it will only idle not go, and maybe we should fit that new compressor he has and get the aircon regassed.

Well that leaves the CX wagon - but it's only on club event registration and needs a new battery and starter motor overhaul just to start with.

Oh dear then - lots of projects for the New Year - maybe I'll be able to get a nice Supercharge battery from Autobarn in the post christmas sales for the CX. That will be a good start.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Cheers,

Ken

Oh dear then - lots of projects for the New Year - maybe I'll be able to get a nice Supercharge battery from Autobarn in the post christmas sales for the CX. That will be a good start.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Ken.

Hi Santa,
    Only 1 more sleep to go and I haven't seen you yet on your CX sleigh pulled by 6 2CVs with my wonderful DS21 project car for Christmas poking out of your sack, I'm sure it will be under the tree in the morning though. Oh, and can you make sure my DS21 is not infected like everybody else's Citroen. Little bottle of Talisker's Distiller's Edition to be going on with...no, don't be embarrassed, my pleasure entirely..

Merry Christmas everyone
    Iain

Hmm,

I was just going to go out and try to cut the front lower arms out of the CX.... and found a big pool of coolant on the ground under the front of it.... It must be jealous there is now another CX turbo around that feels to have quite a bit more get up and go than it.... It must be running more boost.

It's leaking from the front anyway, looks like a rock has hit the front of the radiator ... sigh ....

seeya,
    shane L.
    ScotFrog likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Don't you just love it .. all this esoteric talk ... " problem with my octopus " try telling THAT to your favourite psychiatrist.

Second hand fuel pump fitted. CX starts with the first turn of the key. So I have done my bit to control the infection. Maybe time to give it a really good wash (aka disinfectant) so we don't spread anything to the Xantia. Actually the two of them have been very happy living together for over 10 years, never once have both of them been sick at the same time.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Hmm,

I was just going to go out and try to cut the front lower arms out of the CX.... and found a big pool of coolant on the ground under the front of it.... It must be jealous there is now another CX turbo around that feels to have quite a bit more get up and go than it.... It must be running more boost.

It's leaking from the front anyway, looks like a rock has hit the front of the radiator ... sigh ....

seeya,
    shane L.
    That's not an infection. That's a hissy fit caused by jealousy.

Bad luck all the same though.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Second hand fuel pump fitted. CX starts with the first turn of the key. So I have done my bit to control the infection. Maybe time to give it a really good wash (aka disinfectant) so we don't spread anything to the Xantia. Actually the two of them have been very happy living together for over 10 years, never once have both of them been sick at the same time.
    I've found that with the CX-Xantia mix. Perhaps because the Xantia is never sick. It must be immune to CX maladies I suppose.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Just to break the jinx, went to CGAT today 6 degrees, outside, not run since October... first go she fires up... oh the neighbours love her...

Its not the fuel pump (which has been replaced). I'm thinking it might be something electrical ?? ignition relay. Had a similar problem with my D. Cheers, Petpug

HELP!!!
    To whoever or whatever infected my C5, tell me what anti-biotic to use.
    42 degrees in Melbourne and the air-conditioning which has been intermittently failing over the past few weeks finally fell over.
    Symptoms are odd.
    Lights are on but nobody home. If you press 'Auto' then the LED indicator comes on but NO fans.
    You can hear the compressor clutch engage.
    Sometimes pressing the fan increase/decrease shows the fan icon increasing and decreasing per normal sometimes a no fan indicator. But NO fans.
    Nothing I do in terms of fingerpoken on the dash does anything.... nothing.
    I've checked the relevant fuses under the dash and under the bonnet. All OK. Before I go blundering into areas best left untouched what is the recommended way forward?

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    HELP!!!
    To whoever or whatever infected my C5, tell me what anti-biotic to use.
    42 degrees in Melbourne and the air-conditioning which has been intermittently failing over the past few weeks finally fell over.
    Symptoms are odd.
    Lights are on but nobody home. If you press 'Auto' then the LED indicator comes on but NO fans.
    You can hear the compressor clutch engage.
    Sometimes pressing the fan increase/decrease shows the fan icon increasing and decreasing per normal sometimes a no fan indicator. But NO fans.
    Nothing I do in terms of fingerpoken on the dash does anything.... nothing.
    I've checked the relevant fuses under the dash and under the bonnet. All OK. Before I go blundering into areas best left untouched what is the recommended way forward?
    Seems to be a PSA thing with ignitions and fuse boxes... XM ... melts the fan fuse, and the fans die on a hot day, Xantia burns out the ignition contacts and then the fans won't work on a hot day. C5 and C4 .... they fitted a pissy little fuse box again that burns out and the fans don't work. Do they hire morons to design the electrical bits on these cars If a circuit draws 20amps under normal operating conditions, it appear they rate everything for exactly 20amps ... So if it manages to draw 22amps on a hot day it burns out (rather than 60amps which would be sensible).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information