Electric fuel pump for a GS?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Electric fuel pump for a GS?

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone on the forum has fitted an electric fuel pump to a GS? And if so where did you fit it.

With our GS I'm sure some of the cranking for a car that's only driven every couple of weeks is about getting the fuel up from the fuel tank. Once that takes place you're in business.

Small Xmas present for the GS this week..a battery isolator from Repco. The green knob on the top which you twist to isolate the battery is happily the same sort of green as the spheres and LHM tank.

Merry Christmas all!

Advertisement

Regards
    John

Hmmm must get me one of those for the CX Wagon when I get a new battery. Sounds much easier than having to wield the 10mm spanner every time.

I think I left the old battery a bit too long between charges recently. Still I reckon its about 10 years old so I can't really complain.

Cheers,

Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

Ken I paid $14.99 at Repco for the battery isolator. The same item is on Ebay for $9 posted from a seller in Victoria.

Battery Isolator Terminal CUT OFF Kill Switch FOR Dual AGM Ctek Redarc Systems | eBay

I wanted to see mine in the flesh so went with the Repco option. We have a radio in the GS which has a separate power switch. Suspect this was a factor in a couple of flat batteries.

Cheers John

1000+ Posts

Default Can't complain !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Hmmm must get me one of those for the CX Wagon when I get a new battery. Sounds much easier than having to wield the 10mm spanner every time.

I think I left the old battery a bit too long between charges recently. Still I reckon its about 10 years old so I can't really complain.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Hi Ken
    Can't complain he says, 10 years he says How the hell did you achieve that ?????????

jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

I had an electric pump on my GS1220 convertisseur.

It was about 25 years ago so my memory of the detail is vague.

It was a used electric pump salvaged from a wrecked Subaru 1400, mid 1970s vintage.

I was a poor uni student and that was the cheapest way I could get it mobile when the mechanical pump packed up.

It was installed under the bonnet, wherever it would fit. (can't remember where.)

To start the car you would turn the ignition to ON, wait a second till the pump stopped pulsing, then turn the key to start. Starting was instant.

If I were fitting one today, I would fit a safety cutout so that if the engine stops, the fuel pump cuts out. They are fitted to LPG cars and aren't expensive. They use a sense wire to the coil - inductive pickup from the HT lead from memory - when no pulses are detected they shut off the fuel - stops pumping fuel in an accident. Though if you gave a rats about safety you wouldn't be driving a GS...

I have made an electronic security system for mine which uses the voltage at the contacts to advise the pump whether to cut off. I have the circuit if anyone wants to try it themselves. When the ignition is turned on, the pump starts working for long enough to fill the float chamber. It then cuts off. Once the engine starts, the pulses at the contacts are detected and they then keep the pump going. Once they stop, whether the ignition is on or off, the circuit concludes that the engine has stopped and so stops the pump.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information