DS headlight glass restoration.
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS headlight glass restoration.

I guess you can buy some repro versions of the DS headlight glass, but does anyone have any idea if you can restore them? Mine, like most, I suspect, have some reasonable sandblasting to the front face. Does anyone know if they can be polished to remove the pitting? The inside I assume can be cleaned gently with detergent, so as not to disturb the fragile screen print.
    The glasses are quite a bit worse than the pic really indicates, I'm sure they would be fine, but if O'Briens can polish them, I'd probably do it. Any suggestions accepted gratefully.

Advertisement

mb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS headlight glass restoration.-glass.jpg  

UFO

They are pitted!

One thing we did with mine during reassembly was to put the 3M film across them. XM Mechanic being the fastidious person he is, did a great job heating and smoothing the film onto the curve of the glasses. You cannot tell that they're there. I had a glass shattered on a dirt road years ago and don't want to have to replace another - but I do have two spares. NOT for sale.

Whether the 3M film works or not is yet to be discovered, but if it does - great.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    They are pitted!

One thing we did with mine during reassembly was to put the 3M film across them. XM Mechanic being the fastidious person he is, did a great job heating and smoothing the film onto the curve of the glasses. You cannot tell that they're there. I had a glass shattered on a dirt road years ago and don't want to have to replace another - but I do have two spares. NOT for sale.

Whether the 3M film works or not is yet to be discovered, but if it does - great.
    It works. We used it on a DS perhaps back in 2009.

Via the aussiefrogs App

A friend of mine did it with "glass etching" He made his normal glasses (VW Transporter) completely see-trough, the result was perfect, maybe you can find it somewhere on the net.
    Citroen DS 23IE Hydraulique 1974

Album of the car: https://www.facebook.com/michiel.pos...5386911&type=3

Telescope nuts who do their own lens polishing, may also have input on the subject to hand.

The clear films are tough; I have seen them work as well.

Fellow Frogger

Given there are pits, polishing them out might remove a lot of material. It is toughened glass.
    Perhaps an alternative would be to try one of the sprays used to restore polycarbonate headlights. I don't know how well it would stick in the long-term, but it should fill in the pits and provide a smooth and UV resistant finish. The film may give it more mechanical strength though.

QUOTE=addo;1216316]Telescope nuts who do their own lens polishing ...[/QUOTE]
    Are they in the same bucket as the brass knob polishers???

mnm

Something like this?

Glass Polishing KIT FOR Deep Scratches | eBay

Matthew

Brilliant!

I will give that a go.
    Thanks Matthew.

I'd be interested to see how well that works...please.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    Brilliant!

I will give that a go.
    Thanks Matthew.
    Eastwood makes some pretty good stuff. May I make a suggestion, though? Practice a little bit on an old piece of glass first. This stuff will cut waves and divots into the covers if you aren't careful.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

all good info, they do talk about the importance of water so as not to get the glass too hot.
    mb

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Eastwood makes some pretty good stuff. May I make a suggestion, though? Practice a little bit on an old piece of glass first. This stuff will cut waves and divots into the covers if you aren't careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    all good info, they do talk about the importance of water so as not to get the glass too hot.
    mb
    Eastwood are great to deal with and do carry some top products, I've dealt with them directly very prompt and good follow up with emailed deals etc.

The product is universal, Cerium oxide, you should be able to buy from any glazier for around $10.00 500gm bag. You can buy a lesser kit here in Aus from Caswell Australia (located in Victoria) Glass Polishing Kit $44.95 - you don't get the scour pads but should get all you need for the headlight glass.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information