C5 Camshaft sprocket
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 Camshaft sprocket

Just wanting to check with you guys before doing what I think needs to get done... In the image, the part numbered 5 is a sprocket with a dampener. When I removed my timing belt cover, I found the dampener inside the sprocket is loose and rattles if I spin it with my hand. The dampeners not attached to the sprocket and just slips on and off. I'm guessing they're meant to be the one part and not 2 separate parts? So I can't just buy a dampener, I need a new sprocket? The way it is now in my c5 isn't by design ie dampener loose inside the sprocket (silly question but you never know)?

As an aside, when turning the crankshaft to check the timings, clockwise is the right direction and anti-clockwise is to loosen the crankshaft bolt?

Advertisement

C5 Camshaft sprocket-2013-12-14_16h37_24.jpg

1000+ Posts

VVT cam wheel?

Very common on the ew10j4 to pull the covers off and that outer dampener falls off. My 206 gti did the same thing, I just left the exhaust pulley how it was minus dampener (it had been running for who knows how long like that.) Yes clockwise for the engine, Anticlockwise for the crank bolt and also the tensioner always tension anti clockwise. I assume/hope you are using timing tools if you have the single bolt crank pulley ew10?
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by James504 View Post
    Very common on the ew10j4 to pull the covers off and that outer dampener falls off. My 206 gti did the same thing, I just left the exhaust pulley how it was minus dampener (it had been running for who knows how long like that.) Yes clockwise for the engine, Anticlockwise for the crank bolt and also the tensioner always tension anti clockwise. I assume/hope you are using timing tools if you have the single bolt crank pulley ew10?
    So you've been running without the dampener? Is that ok? Anyone else car to comment? If I can get away with that I'd be very happy! By timing tools you mean locking pins? Using the Haynes manual and made my own dodgy versions :-)

Fellow Frogger!

Another thing. The car has done 100k. I purchased the car with 103k on the clock. Not sure if the previous owner did a belt change or not (Asian female student so will never know) and looking at the belt it's in good condition and not worn as far as I can tell. should I change it just to be safe even if it looks good?

When you price up a new exhaust pulley you also will think leaving it is a good idea. It probably has some on paper purpose, but in the real world you can get away without it. Presume you have an early ew10 with the 4 bolt crank pulley rather than just the single bolt through the ballancer/sprocket. Id change the belt.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks James, so just to be clear, you've had this same problem and just left the damper out when you put it back together and had no problems with it. How much is the pulley you were quoted on?

Thread Information