DS fuel gauge.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS fuel gauge.

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS fuel gauge.

All the DS's I have had, the fuel gauges were not quite accurate, to say the least. And I replaced some, with no change. Is the anything else I can buy which is more accurate. I don't mind going digital.

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winkbul45 View Post
    All the DS's I have had, the fuel gauges were not quite accurate, to say the least. And I replaced some, with no change. Is the anything else I can buy which is more accurate. I don't mind going digital.
    Are they that bad ?? There a very simple device, worse case pull the sender and bend it's wire so "empty" on the gauge is the bottom of the tank. Check also the float .... still floats

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

I improved mine a lot by carfully cleaning the coiled resistor on the sender with 800 grit wet rub.
    Woodt

Reset the odometer to zero every time you fill up.

Roger

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

The D tank is very long, so accurate gauging is not possible with a single point gauge. It was set up originally to work with the car at it's normal running hieght on a level surface. I used to fill mine up once the needle was regularly visiting the bottom third of the scale.

If you want to look at electronic guaging systems for long thin tanks, see Aircraft Spruce and Specialty.

Default DS fuel gauge.

when i was a kid growing up in sri lanka my father had a 2CV van with corrugated bonnet- panel van type. it had a small 425cc ( from memory or smaller ) engine. we used to open the access door panel located on the drivers side and then use timber stick dropped into fuel tank, this gauge always worked. never ever gave a mis reading, unless someone stole the stick! usually other smaller kids, we used to always get people pointing at the front wheels when they were in full lock, thinking how weird it looked, yelling those wheels are falling off !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS fuel gauge.-image.jpeg  

I use the broomstick down the filler trick periodically to confirm my guage is working properly, so far so good.

Winkbul45 if your guage is dancing all over the place but otherwise still giving a reading, it may be because it has lost it's magnetism, it happens with old guages? If so I think I have a remedy for that.

When the gauge quits bouncing, it is time to get some fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    The D tank is very long, so accurate gauging is not possible with a single point gauge. I
    Indeed! It runs full width under the back seat with the gauge sender mounted towards the right hand side and the pick-up further right again. Despite baffles there must be a lot of sloshing around going on. The sender float is in a box section in an attempt to lessen this. My gauge does not dance uncontrolled but "surges" up and down while driving. The only reliable reading is at rest on a level surface.

Because of the position of the pick-up point the car will be starved of fuel if parked to the left of a heavily cambered road, even with a quarter tank. (Presumably this was not so much of a problem in a LHD car) As a result one can never allow the gauge to approach the empty mark, so accuracy in unimportant.

DS fuel gauge.-ds-tank_450x600.jpgDS fuel gauge.-ds-fuel-sender.jpg

PS The rusty tank is not mine! It is from an EFI car, hence the extra return line.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

As long as the dash gauge, itself, is working OK (not always the case) the problem, typically, is that the cork 'float' attached to the sender in the tank is soaked with fuel and to heavy. Overtime the shellac coating that was used to 'fuel proof' the float gets compromised and the pressed cork float absorbs fuel and becomes to heavy.

Best solution it to located, from a industrial supplier, some closed cell Nylon foam 1/2 inch (12mm) thick. Cut out some 1/2x1x6 inch strips (12x25x125mm). Then using lead split shot (small fishing line weights), shove them into one of the strips until the foam strip is weighted to 10 grams. Close off the holes with a two part epoxy and let it set up. Slide the weighted foam block onto the sender's pickup wire and re-install in the tank. If the sender is working properly (check with a VOM) you gauge will be quite accurate.

Steve
    Last edited by Citroenfan; 15th December 2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: measurement mistake

mnm

Hi all

Steve supplied me with some foam strips for this job a while back so here are some picks of my efforts.

Fuel tank cover removed.. spiders optional..

This is the unit with the cork float attached and degraded and the new piece from Steve... I stuck some lead in it and glued it up with Areldite.

I just twisted the cork float and it pulled off the arm pretty easily, then just pushed the new one on.

Here's the fuel guage reading before and after..

So many thanks Steve... very happy here..

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 3rd February 2014 at 10:05 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Mathew,

You are more than welcome - now you just need to do something about the downward slope of the that bloody needle. OPPS - forgot you are 'down under" - OK will duck now.

Steve

mnm

Ha! So cheeky... yes that is annoying, on the "to do" list.

Matthew

Thread Information