DS 23 EFI issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default DS 23 EFI issues

My 23 has just been awakened from a 5Y rest.While it idles OK and goes well on full throttle inbetween it is very hesitant and nervous.I think it is running too lean(no black deposits on the ex pipes) Fuel pressure looks good.
    I dread pulling the injectors,the rear two are harder to get at than my wisdom teeth.All help welcome.
    Woody

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Manifold pressure sensor ?? From memory the DJet doesn't have full load and idle switches like the CX's injection system. The switch on the throttle body sends out a series of pulses from memory. So this would drive the "enrichment" side (like the accellerator pump on your carby). if this was unplugged I imagine it would run as you describe (ie: like a carby car with no working accelerator pump).

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Manifold pressure sensor ?? From memory the DJet doesn't have full load and idle switches like the CX's injection system. The switch on the throttle body sends out a series of pulses from memory. So this would drive the "enrichment" side (like the accellerator pump on your carby). if this was unplugged I imagine it would run as you describe (ie: like a carby car with no working accelerator pump).

seeya,
    shane L.
    Thanks Shane,The Djet has a.n idle switch on the throttle body and a separate full load switch operated by manifold vacuum.
    Woody

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Thanks,

It's been years since I looked at mine.

If you check the manual, I think you'll find the one on the throttle body switch also sends a "sort of" square wave signal out when it's rotated. There may be a broken wire or similar too it. I always assumed this was to richen the mixture when you moved the throttle.

I didn't realise the manifold pressure sensor was also the full load sensor ... In theory at least that rules that one out.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

The manifold pressure sensor and full load vacuum unit are located together on the firewall.
    Maybe, start with checking for any vacuum leaks and cleaning the connectors?
    AAV stuck open? It should be open when the coolant is cold and then close as it warms up and the wax element expands. Perhaps, switch off and test it by blowing through the air hose to/from it and see if it changes between cold and normal operating temperature?
    Do you think the pressure regulator is still OK? The rubber diaphragm may be suspect.

Did you check the airbox for rat nests?

Via the aussiefrogs App

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The manifold pressure sensor and full load vacuum unit are located together on the firewall.
    Maybe, start with checking for any vacuum leaks and cleaning the connectors?
    AAV stuck open? It should be open when the coolant is cold and then close as it warms up and the wax element expands. Perhaps, switch off and test it by blowing through the air hose to/from it and see if it changes between cold and normal operating temperature?
    Do you think the pressure regulator is still OK? The rubber diaphragm may be suspect.
    Thanks David,I've checked the fuel pressure. I dispensed with the unreliable AAV some time ago and now have a manual one.
    So out come the injectors.
    Woody

Fellow Frogger!

I'm thinking before you pull it apart make sure the multi segment switch is doing it's thing and enriching the mixture as the throttle is opened... The way this works is that between fully closed and wide open it should give all the injectors an extra 20 opens. To test that this part of the system is working switch ignition on without starting, get your head in the engine bay, and open throttle with your hand slowly. You should hear 20 injector clicks as you open it and no clicks as you close it. Also, really does also sound like it could have a vacuum leak causing this stuff.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thread Information