Air conditioning fan on 2004 C5 HDi
  • Register
  • Help

Default Air conditioning fan on 2004 C5 HDi

Hi I've been away with work for a few years, have sold my 2 x Peugeot 403's still have my round eye R10 and drive a C5

The aircon fan has become erratic and sometimes doesn't start....will go with a tap on the side of the console near the temp knob.....I've had a look but the disassembly method is not obvious and I don't want to hurt anything....does any one have any hints and or maybe a drawing or something of how to access the fan motor and or the fan control unit?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I have not dissembled the dash so cannot help there. However I will point out that the fan is controlled by the computer through the fan control module as far as I know. So it is not "just" a switch, whatever that actually means ? Just as the temperature knob is not just a normal control but a digital device ?
    Good luck Jaahn

There is a fair chance that the brushes have just worn down to the stage where they are making intermittent contact with the commutator. I am sure the Haynes C5 manual would have the instructions on how to get the fan motor out. I see you are in Brisbane. I do have a Haynes C5 manual. PM me if you need some pages copied.

Luckily for me Xantia fans come out really easily and the motor is only held into the housing by rubber blocks. It is easy to fit new brushes which are available on ebay and solder the leads onto the the tails of the old brush leads.

Cheers,

Ken W

Thank you for the reply Ken, I suspect that it is either brushes or the fan controller module (one of these went in a C3 my wife had a few years ago...she has a C4 now) but when the fan controller goes it usually just stops everything. if there is a description in the Haynes manual and you are able to scan it I would really appreciate it....I can give you my email address if that works better for you....I have had a bit of a look on line but no success so far.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

You say that the fan begins working with a thump to the side if the console. Before you go to the expense of replacing anything, check the control unit and the fan connections, and make sure those are solidly connected. Check and make sure any ground studs you see are firmly screwed down. Lastly, a good blast of electrical contact cleaner if possible, followed by deliberate multiple operations of the fan switch. Always- check the simple and stupid first. You'll be surprised how often that fixes a problem.

/voice of experience
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Hi,

Attached are some dodgy photos of the relevant bits of the Haynes manual. I think this is the best I could do with the archaic 100kb file limit. Mod, can we up that to 500Kb or 1Mb please.

Let me know if you can't work with these or PM me your email.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air conditioning fan on 2004 C5 HDi-glovebox-removal.jpg   Air conditioning fan on 2004 C5 HDi-vent-fan-removal.jpg  

Here are clearer versions of the attachments above.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    You say that the fan begins working with a thump to the side if the console. Before you go to the expense of replacing anything, check the control unit and the fan connections, and make sure those are solidly connected. Check and make sure any ground studs you see are firmly screwed down. Lastly, a good blast of electrical contact cleaner if possible, followed by deliberate multiple operations of the fan switch. Always- check the simple and stupid first. You'll be surprised how often that fixes a problem.

/voice of experience
    I concur. The obvious first (and the lost likely).

Check out the AC Control Module first. See previous thread of "Check Out C5 Interior Fan Problem.

John

Thread Information