How do I change the Transmission Oil Citroen C5 V6 2003 Automatic
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By seasink

Thread: How do I change the Transmission Oil Citroen C5 V6 2003 Automatic

Tadpole

Icon4 How do I change the Transmission Oil Citroen C5 V6 2003 Automatic

Hi guys. I am going insane trying to find out how to change the transmission fluid in my 2003 Citroen C5 V6- Auto as I think it has a leak and I am no longer able to get her to change into any gear at all, after sitting still for almost 6 weeks, and noticing a slow leak of a fluid for weeks before hand.

It it all started when she just suddenly dropped out of gear from 1st to 2nd (so leak had progressed quite far) after having not been moved for about 6 weeks. Then when I went to move her as a storm hit, she wouldn't go into any gear at all, the stick was frozen .

So got the recommended fluid yesterday after work, and with light fading got home and under the hood to look for its insertion point..... Only to be eaten alive my mozzies and no luck. Looked forever for a dip stick to check the levels, but no where to be seen. Is there a dip stick on my model? And where do I go to change the fluid and how do I do it? I don't have the manual as it was not in my pack when I brought the car a little under 8months ago so have no idea where in the engine bay it is located, and how to change it..... HELP.

Advertisement

I'm sure others will help with the transmission oil change, but I'll just throw this out there as it 'may' be relevant to your symptoms.

This has been a common fault with the early C5, normally you are able to select reverse though, might be worth a quick read
    C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift

You certainly need to attend to that fluid leak sooner than later.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Being a V6, his will be a 4HP20 won't it So it may have a "straight" selector throw inside the car. Which may mean the lock to hold the lever in "P" is different. If you do a search here for 40hp20, you'll likely find instructions on draining/filling it (from memory there in the technical section somewhere).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Thanks for your reply. I will keep digging and see what comes up.

Fellow Frogger

Does the engine start?
    Do you hear a clicking noise when you put your foot on the brake pedal with the ignition on or engine running?
    Can you actually move the gearstick out of park?
    Can you engage Drive?
    Does the car move at all in any gear?
    Is there noise from the bellhousing area? This could indicate a bad converter or a failed pump in the gearbox.

There is no dipstick for the gearbox. You fill it through the breather and then check the level via a level plug when the fluid is at 60C, engine idling in Park, AC etc. off. About 4 litres needed per change, although the gearbox holds more.

Tadpole

Have been digging around a little and am getting confused in places. There is a lot of info for the HDi but I am not entirely citroen savy as this is my first. Does anyone know where abouts under the hood I should be looking ? Eg left looking towards the car, below the superficial surface , etc. I couldn't see a dip stick for the life of me with a torch at night so will have a look again today in the day light.

Tadpole

Thanks soo much for all the info. Yes car starts, quite fine apart from the chuggy turn over from no use for about two months. I do hear the click upon applying the break, but no , no movement from park at all. Being an atuo and reverse just below park, still nothing. Not releasing from P.

Again I am just a uni student and don't know too much about cars especially this new citroen, what do you mean by breather?

Fellow Frogger

Firstly, per post#2, follow these instructions so that you can at least move the gear lever:
    C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift

The HDi has a different gearbox.

Tadpole

Thanks for the post. This may be the problem with the gear stick, but going to focus on the dropping from gears issue first as I do not desperately need it moved, and can't drive it if it's falling out of 1st mid acceleration . Yeah I understand that the HDi is different , it's what my parents Peugeot is running . Any ideas why the gears were initially cutting out going from 1st to 2nd, as I thought it may be a transmission fluid issue as I did notice a slow leak over the first few good days of summer. Should I still Pursue the transmission fluid change idea, or could it be something else?

thanks in advance

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EliseEternity View Post
    Thanks for the post. This may be the problem with the gear stick, but going to focus on the dropping from gears issue first as I do not desperately need it moved, and can't drive it if it's falling out of 1st mid acceleration . Yeah I understand that the HDi is different , it's what my parents Peugeot is running . Any ideas why the gears were initially cutting out going from 1st to 2nd, as I thought it may be a transmission fluid issue as I did notice a slow leak over the first few good days of summer. Should I still Pursue the transmission fluid change idea, or could it be something else?

thanks in advance
    Hi EliseEternity
    Here is a link to a manual on an earlier version of your transmission. Your's does not have a dip stick but perhaps the fill point is in the same place. Citroen found that they could save heaps on customers satisfaction by getting rid of dip sticks Getting rid of customers came next
    http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace...0_training.pdf
    jaahn
    It also has some trouble shooting info.

Tadpole

Great help. Thanks. Have had a look through the PDF and will get under the hood for a better look around after work.

Fellow Frogger

thanks in advance
    If you can't move the gearstick, then you can't even move the car, period, let alone worry about the gear selection. Fix that first, before going any further.

There can be numerous possible reasons for the reported problems with your gearbox, very few of which can be readily diagnosed and corrected remotely. You would need to read the fault codes to begin with.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    If you can't move the gearstick, then you can't even move the car, period, let alone worry about the gear selection. Fix that first, before going any further.

There can be numerous possible reasons for the reported problems with your gearbox, very few of which can be readily diagnosed and corrected remotely. You would need to read the fault codes to begin with.
    Agree, and the reason for my initial reply, the gear shift could be as simple as charging the battery given the car has now been sitting for close to two months.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Perhaps these late model Cits are related to their earlier forebears like our GS Break with the semi-automatic transmission.
    Recently we could not get it into gear either. It turned out to be a dud battery.

Tadpole

Good points. The locking and unlocking mechanism has been playing up (weak responses when pressing the fob like only a few doors unlocking) so battery could very very well be a factor too. Shall get in there and remove the housing on the shifter and check the lock. As soon as I can determine if it's engaged and shot, I'll have a good look at the battery while I am at it as it does seem to be running below . Thanks everyone. Shall let everyone know how I go as I will be doing ASAP

Tadpole

All good guys. It was the locking guide pin. All that trouble for a $10 piece. She is perfect through the gear stick now. Took the housing off and was done in a matter of minutes. But now to an oil leak which has developed. It's directly on the drivers side below the engine, was fine untill it started to read antipollution fault which has her sitting in the drive way going no where with uni starting tomorrow. Fml. Anyone know where it might be leaking from and what to do.

1000+ Posts

Default Hmmmm

All good guys. It was the locking guide pin. All that trouble for a $10 piece. She is perfect through the gear stick now. Took the housing off and was done in a matter of minutes. But now to an oil leak which has developed. It's directly on the drivers side below the engine, was fine untill it started to read antipollution fault which has her sitting in the drive way going no where with uni starting tomorrow. Fml. Anyone know where it might be leaking from and what to do.
    Hi EliseEternity
    One fault down, all good guys The original fault now remains ! And a new one !

Rereading the posts seem to indicate there has been an ongoing leak. Are you sure it is transmission oil ? Perhaps you should have found the auto fill point by now and should put some fluid in and then look for the leak. Hard to guess from here. The standard method is to degrease the engine/transmission and then LOOK for where the oil is coming from. You probably should just take off under-guard so you can see more. It will be necessary anyway to get at the level plugs etc. That will probably let you see the leak. Its just a plastic piece that has a selection of screws and fastenings to hold it in place. It is OK to leave it off for a while.

The antipollution fault will not stop it driving OK. It is probably a result of the sitting idleing and the stale fuel. You will need a scanner to put it out in the long run.
    good luck Jaahn

Fellow Frogger

If the puddle is gold/orange, susoect the suspension piping, specifically a rubber joiner near the firewall. If it's not bad, just top up the fluid every so often (to the seam in the tank when in lowest suspension setting) as it's a large job to replace the piping and you need to drop the crossmember. The piping is an expensive item.

What fuel are using? It needs 95 or better. If the car has sat for a long time, the fuel will be going off, so fill it with 98 and see what happens. Otherwise, look for the thread on a similar C5 V6 issue, I think by Captain Slow ??? It as in the last 6-12 months anyway.

1000+ Posts

we had one of these a while back ,the trans oil level plug is on the back of the trans close to the exhaust and it has to be checked with the engine running in park from memory which if you dont have a hoist means you have to set the suspension on high put some stands under it ,put oil in the top ,undo the level plug and drain off the excess ,i had to use a small socket set with a couple of extensions and a uni joint ,its hot under there ,then it gets interesting when the radiator fans kick in ,you get a blast of hot air down on you as well ,ours has a trans oil leak into the coolant via the inter cooler that sits on top of the transmission ,if your leaks on the drivers side it could be suspension oil or these v6s are prone to leaks from the rocker covers ,especially the rear i looked all this up some place at the time ,to access the rear rocker cover the plenum has to be removed ,once you have undone the alen headed screws it tilts up at the front then slides to your right on pins ,towards the left of the car ,man it took me some time to work that out ,plug up the inlets with rags so nothing falls in the engine ,the rocker covers come with a built in neoprene seal ,which with the help of a little quality sealer can be persuaded to seal again ,this leak usually produces smoke from the rear of the engine as oil dumps onto the exhaust ,but could be leaking from the right side only ,ending up ,down that side of the engine ,you should be able to tell by the color and smell of the oil what oil it is and where it is coming from , PUGS

Tadpole

Thanks to everyone for your speedy replies. I have uni tomorrow morning so am getting the old bike out and hoping it doesn't rain, but will look at it tomorrow raising it to it's highest and getting completely under. It's a 2003 model so is a little old, but not giving up on this bestie just yet. Thanks again everyone. Will keep you posted.

1000+ Posts

Don't ever put your body under a hydraulic car with raised suspension, unless you want to be the next one in the cemetery who did this. Use car ramps or a jack with stands, or even better, both. Suspensions can and do drop. Cars on stands on both sides, with chocked wheels, don't.
    jaahn and bluey504 like this.

There is a drain plug near the axle and is also the level just use a regular syn dex 3 all easy tks

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchtranstech View Post
    There is a drain plug near the axle and is also the level just use a regular syn dex 3 all easy tks
    Do not use Dexron anything in a 4HP20 auto box. The only oil you should use will be marked LT71141 which is an industry-wide specification. Repco carry a Penrite ATF fluid matching this spec, about $10/L
    '92 BX 16Valve (Bathurst 12 Hr edition)
    '93 BX 16Valve (Bathurst 12 Hr edition)
    '01 406 Coupe 3.0L V6 Manual

Thread Information