C5 Anti Pollution Fault
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 Anti Pollution Fault

Hi,
    Just had this message pop up on the drive home. How serious is this? Can I still drive or should I take it to the dealer ASAP! The car wasn't running any different after the fault came up, maybe a little rough but that could have just been in my head..

I've read up in these forums on possible causes, etc. Noticed that one of the things was to make sure you're using minimum 95 RON, I just filled up on 91 RON as the servo I was at the premium pumps had out of order. I'm hoping thats all it is and next time, fill up on 98 and should be good again........

Advertisement

I also know that the water pump needs to get changed. Been making noises for a few weeks now and its just gone over the 100k (going to do timing belt as well), so could a faulty water pump also cause this?

How much do these fault readers cost? whats a good one to get?Anyone on the Gold Coast have one I could bring the car round?

Thanks,
    Gareth

Icon6

G'day Gareth,
    one thing you would have noticed on this forum is not to jump to conclusions too quickly. I had this show on the 18E, and my blood ran cold for about a minute. Turn the engine off, disconnect the battery for as long as you can, about a couple of minutes, reconnect the battery, and away you go. I have a friend at work who switches the ignition on & off rapidly about ten times, but I don't know if this really works.

good luck
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

"They all do that, sir."

It can be oxygen sensors, a flat battery, faulty EGR or air pump, can't remember if the brake switch fault brings it up as well.

Fellow Frogger

It's a very general message and there are a few possible causes, but it's probably the 91 fuel. The first question the dealer will ask is which fuel you filled it with. It needs at least 95. Don't use E10 as it's almost always under 95 and you use more of it, making it hardly the bargain it's usually touted as. Top it up with 98 as soon as you can to dilute the 91. The warning sometimes goes away on it's own after it is switched off for a few hours or overnight, but it depends what it is. You may not have to disconnect the battery. Otherwise, the dealer can read the fault, decide whether to do anything and then clear it.

The water pump is unrelated. Remember, the timing belt runs on it. It will probably leak and become very loud quite a long time before it actually fails, but the longer you leave it, the more you risk a dead engine from a belt failure.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Hi Gareth,

Am in the Yatala area and have a fault reader. If you care to bring your car around,I'll read the codes for you. But not possible till next Saturday. You probably will find that the error will be gone by tomorrow anyway. What year C5 and whereabouts on the coast are you?.
    Quote Originally Posted by garethb View Post
    Hi,
    Just had this message pop up on the drive home. How serious is this? Can I still drive or should I take it to the dealer ASAP! The car wasn't running any different after the fault came up, maybe a little rough but that could have just been in my head..

I've read up in these forums on possible causes, etc. Noticed that one of the things was to make sure you're using minimum 95 RON, I just filled up on 91 RON as the servo I was at the premium pumps had out of order. I'm hoping thats all it is and next time, fill up on 98 and should be good again........

I also know that the water pump needs to get changed. Been making noises for a few weeks now and its just gone over the 100k (going to do timing belt as well), so could a faulty water pump also cause this?

How much do these fault readers cost? whats a good one to get?Anyone on the Gold Coast have one I could bring the car round?

Thanks,
    Gareth
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger!

David, going to do the water pump and belt this weekend. Not going to drive much until then, only when needed. Back on the bike for me.....

Thanks Harrison. I'm in Broadbeach with a 03 petrol. Hopefully the message goes away as you all say. Might also try the battery trick if its still on. Either way will probably be a good idea to get the codes read just to be safe....Will also top up with 98.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Hi Gareth,

Am in the Yatala area and have a fault reader. If you care to bring your car around,I'll read the codes for you. But not possible till next Saturday. You probably will find that the error will be gone by tomorrow anyway. What year C5 and whereabouts on the coast are you?.

Tadpole

Had the same message recently on my 2.2HDI C5 and the fault was a gummed up EGR Valve and a faulty Electrovalve [controls the EGR valve]. Did not affect the engine performance and I drove for a few weeks without problems until the items were rplaced.

Mike

I just remembered that if the car leans out massively, it can cause a temporary short in the front lambda sensor (I guess it just conducts across carbon deposits), this logs as an antipollution fault in some ECUs. Could well tally in with comments by David S about fuel.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Mike. I've read a few reports from others that this was the reason behind their error. I've got the haynes manual and it shows how to check these, so failing the fuel thing, I'll give this a go. Do you know what error codes showed with this being the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ford View Post
    Had the same message recently on my 2.2HDI C5 and the fault was a gummed up EGR Valve and a faulty Electrovalve [controls the EGR valve]. Did not affect the engine performance and I drove for a few weeks without problems until the items were rplaced.

Mike

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry addo, what do you mean by 'leans out'?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I just remembered that if the car leans out massively, it can cause a temporary short in the front lambda sensor (I guess it just conducts across carbon deposits), this logs as an antipollution fault in some ECUs. Could well tally in with comments by David S about fuel.

1000+ Posts

Default Mcqueen leans out !!

Hi garethb
    Addo could mean this C5 Anti Pollution Fault-mcqueen-leans-out.jpg
    but probably not

Look my C5 goes through bouts of this pollution fault since I have had the car. It is certainly fuel related. It does not cause any problems except for the irritation. I clear the codes occasionally with an ordinary scanner if they get too much.
    Have not had any for a while now so perhaps the fuel supply has picked up around here. Of course you should check the hoses etc for splits and holes but is OK then just chill out and try the leaning out as above
    jaahn

No, not like Steve McQ.

As in, running excessively lean for a short spell. It can get the exhaust pretty warm.

Fellow Frogger!

I to had the same problem, in and out of the dealer six times and each time anywhere from a day to a month later it came back on. Did the cam belt water pump etc., and it stayed away for eight months then one day it came back lasted until I turned off the engine, started it back up no faults showing even on the Lexia. So have put it down to a glich in the system or just a C5.

Fellow Frogger!

Hahaha, I had a similar image in my head except out the car window
    which hoses should I be looking at (as in related to which system in the car, fuel? air? exhaust?)?

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi garethb
    Addo could mean this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcqueen leans out.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	50720
    but probably not

Look my C5 goes through bouts of this pollution fault since I have had the car. It is certainly fuel related. It does not cause any problems except for the irritation. I clear the codes occasionally with an ordinary scanner if they get too much.
    Have not had any for a while now so perhaps the fuel supply has picked up around here. Of course you should check the hoses etc for splits and holes but is OK then just chill out and try the leaning out as above
    jaahn
    Last edited by garethb; 10th December 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

What would cause it to run lean?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    No, not like Steve McQ.

As in, running excessively lean for a short spell. It can get the exhaust pretty warm.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garethb View Post
    Hahaha, I had a similar image in my head except out the car window
    which hoses should I be looking at (as in related to which system in the car, fuel? air? exhaust?)?
    Hi garethb,
    Remove the plastic cover that makes the engine look pretty and examine the pollution hoses under there at the back. Carefully as they can be broken if you move them too much. See if they look OK or need a bit of TLC. There are not too many by memory. I fixed one of mine quite a while back.
    Jaahn
    Perhaps an image of a different gender leaning out the window

Fellow Frogger!

Now you're talking my language. I understood the bold bit, but not the rest.......

Hi garethb,
    Remove the plastic cover that makes the engine look pretty and examine the pollution hoses under there at the back. Carefully as they can be broken if you move them too much. See if they look OK or need a bit of TLC. There are not too many by memory. I fixed one of mine quite a while back.
    Jaahn
    Perhaps an image of a different gender leaning out the window
    btw, jokes . I'll give them a good looking at tonight. Thanks jaahn.

Fellow Frogger!

UPDATE: Checked the hoses and all looks OK. Started her up again after not bring driven for a 3 or 4 days and fault showed up on starting. Going to drive this week and next until a full tank of fuel is needed then go with 98 and some fuel cleaner. Failing that, might have to suck it up and go to the dealer as planning on Christmas at the misses family in Newcastle (800kms form here...).

Not a C5, but in 2003 406 Pug, this come on very noes an then. After chasing things to no avail, I gave up. It does not appear to effect performance and after about 30 starts it rectifies itself. Does not come back for months.
    Andy

Current:
    Peugeot 508 Allure HDI 2012
    Previous:
    Peugeot 404 1969
    Peugeot 504 1970
    Peugeot 505 1983
    Peugeot 306 1999
    Peugeot 406 SV 2003

1000+ Posts

Default Again !!

Hi
    Well you jinxed me or perhaps I did it myself by saying it had not happened for a while

Just filled up with Coles/Shell 95 at 30 cents off and pulled up to look at something, leaving it running with the air con on, and when I pulled away beep and "pollution fault" on the display.

Nothing wrong with that cheap fuel ??? Out with the scanner to blow it away so the other half doesn't worry.
    Cheers Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Hi
    Well you jinxed me or perhaps I did it myself by saying it had not happened for a while

Just filled up with Coles/Shell 95 at 30 cents off and pulled up to look at something, leaving it running with the air con on, and when I pulled away beep and "pollution fault" on the display.

Nothing wrong with that cheap fuel ??? Out with the scanner to blow it away so the other half doesn't worry.
    Cheers Jaahn
    Why bother. My 2004 C5 Hdi has had this problem almost from new. Had many downloads during warranty period and after, but it always came back. They never found any faults stored. Even after sorting out the wiring which solved so many other problems, the warning came back, so now I just ignore it. Doesn't affect the car at all. Everything still works well.
    Try sticking a picture of the mother in law and a bit of plastic holly over the display, that'll stop you looking at it, and keep the little woman happy for Christmas. Stop worrying, it's only an electronic gimmick according to the dealers here.

Fellow Frogger!

Tomfrog calling.On406hdi pollution display was intermittent faulty BRAKE switch .Has happened twice. NO .more problems .Tomfrog

Fellow Frogger!

Code came back as P0410, and after clearing hasn't come back. Hoping just a false alarm! (thanks harrisson_citroen for scanning and clearing the codes!)

Thread Information