Why do we mess around with old cars ?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Why do we mess around with old cars ?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Why do we mess around with old cars ?

I thought I'd whip up to VicRoads in my lunch hour .... I just went out ... crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,cr ank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,cran k,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank, crank,crank,crank,crank,crank ....

crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,cr ank,crank,crank,crank

ARRRRRhhhhh.... fun and games ahead....

The CX is always a bitch to start as it likes to crank over quite a few times... .But never for that long. I pull the starter soleniod wire and turn the key ... and can hear the fuel pump .... There's no tools here at all, just as well I work only 10minutes drive from home. I think I'll just go home and get the Range Rover and car trailer rather than spend hours tracing wiring and resistances through sensors in a carpark...

If I'm going to do this, I might as well replace all the wiring connectors again, once and for all. Does anyone know where I can buy good quality pre-wired connector blocks (4 -> 8 wire) and the plug for big blue, the tachometric relay The plastic part of the connector onto big blue is stuffed on this one (no doubt everything will work perfectly as soon as I start diagnosing 'cos I've "bumped" the dodgy bit of wiring somewhere).

Advertisement

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I can almost hear Stuart Dammery laughing. His CX starts on the button.

You seem surprised that the cx didn't start. I thought you'd be used to it!!!

Via the aussiefrogs App
    UFO likes this.
    406 D8 V6 manual

Your all a pack of mongrels and sound just like my wife I'll have you know the old CX always starts .... eventually

Ang just arrived to pick me up (I was just going to grab the rangie and car trailer and look at home). I thought I better check if the battery was dead flat 'cos I'd need that to pull it onto the trailer ..... Touched the key ..................... and the bitch started 1st grunt of the starter with an almost dead flat battery .... you gotta be bloody kidding me. SWMBO sure is pleased with me after waking the youngest up and coming to rescue me

I'd rather a broken car to one that I now can't trust .... 'cos if it's done it too me once, what's to say it won't happen again

This should be fun right I honestly think the car struggles with signals from the flywheel sensors, that's why it's it always cranks so long... the only way to find out I guess is to try a different pair of flywheel senders in it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    You seem surprised that the cx didn't start. I thought you'd be used to it!!!

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Yeah I was always surprised when the CX did start
    UFO likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Your all a pack of mongrels and sound just like my wife I'll have you know the old CX always starts .... eventually

Ang just arrived to pick me up (I was just going to grab the rangie and car trailer and look at home). I thought I better check if the battery was dead flat 'cos I'd need that to pull it onto the trailer ..... Touched the key ..................... and the bitch started 1st grunt of the starter with an almost dead flat battery .... you gotta be bloody kidding me. SWMBO sure is pleased with me after waking the youngest up and coming to rescue me

I'd rather a broken car to one that I now can't trust .... 'cos if it's done it too me once, what's to say it won't happen again

This should be fun right I honestly think the car struggles with signals from the flywheel sensors, that's why it's it always cranks so long... the only way to find out I guess is to try a different pair of flywheel senders in it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Just got to get one back for the poogoe owners!

Via the aussiefrogs App
    406 D8 V6 manual

Fellow Frogger

... SWMBO sure is pleased with me ....
    You could make sure it won't start in such potentially sticky situations.

What's not surprising is a CX not starting.

What is surprising is Shane coming on line and telling the world about it.
    UFO and Ronhic like this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Yes, that way she'd still feel needed and very much appreciated. Maybe that sort of subterfuge goes out the window when the ring goes on the finger? #shaneisbutthurt
    STALLED likes this.

Addo is right (as usual) on all counts

UFO

With all the cranking Shane does it's amazing he gets time to work.
    addo likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Shane certainly is a cranker!

I thought I'd whip up to VicRoads in my lunch hour ....
    And then, having built up our expectations, including lots of

this is not a rant about VicRoads!

Roger

PS I think Ang loves Shane because of, rather than despite, his craziness.

The solution? Drive the CX more regularly or put it on a battery charger regularly. The first option is more fun though
    Ronhic likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Yes, that way she'd still feel needed and very much appreciated. Maybe that sort of subterfuge goes out the window when the ring goes on the finger? #shaneisbutthurt

Thats funny, I always thought it was there sex drive that went out the window when a ring goes on the finger.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    And then, having built up our expectations, including lots of

this is not a rant about VicRoads!

Roger

PS I think Ang loves Shane because of, rather than despite, his craziness.
    Don't even start me on bloody VicRoads ... useless pack of assholes... Yes I came home without club plates again . Apparently car clubs now need any safety inspectors listed on the vicroads system. I was basically told to rack off as the car club I'm a member of didn't have the inspectors listed. I asked them:

a) who to contact
    b) where to send the details too
    c) where the paperwork/docoumention for this
    etc...

they had NONE of the above. I think the little empire builders up in the Ballarat VicRoads office are making there own rules.

So I rang the department that actually runs and implemented the club permit system in Victoria at VicRoads (yeah try finding that phone number anywhere ). There going to ring me back Monday, he assured me they have no such requirements and has no idea why Vicroads in Ballarat would demand such a thing. He needed to discuss this issue with the rest of the Club Permit scheme people in the office, as he was at a loss to explain it.

Why does the ballarat Vicroads office have to be full of such useless assholes

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Don't even start me on bloody VicRoads ... useless pack of assholes... Yes I came home without club plates again . Apparently car clubs now need any safety inspectors listed on the vicroads system. I was basically told to rack off as the car club I'm a member of didn't have the inspectors listed.

So I rang the department that actually runs and implemented the club permit system in Victoria at VicRoads (yeah try finding that phone number anywhere ). There going to ring me back Monday, he assured me they have no such requirements and has no idea why Vicroads in Ballarat would demand such a thing. There going to ring me back monday when the rest of the Club Permit scheme people are in the office and they have discussed why this would happen to me.

seeya,
    Shane L.

The Sunshine VicRoads is like that. Bunch of little Hitlers who think they know all and yet know nothing. I alway tell people to go to Lygon St because there nice people and know what there doing.

As you know I'm the CH officer for RCCV. I did an inpection on a members car who lived in Deer Park and I told him don't go to Sunshine, so where did he go, Sunshine of course.

They wouldn't recognise my letter or even his membership card, nothing. I've been doing this for 20 years and yet not one bit of paperwork they accepted. They wanted, (demanded) a letter from the club saying he was a member because his yellow membership card with his membership number could be a forgery.

We are a club, a volunteer organisation, we don't do letter heads and stuff like that so this member didn't know what to do.

I jumped in and said I can be just a stupid as them so a wrote a letter with RCCV along the top saying that he and his mate Hommer Simpson were both members of RCCV and scribbled some sort of signature on the bottom and he handed it into VicRoads and they accepted that,

So it was the joke of the club for a year or 2 that Hommer was member of RCCV.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    The solution? Drive the CX more regularly or put it on a battery charger regularly. The first option is more fun though
    Through experience mine is now permanently hooked up to a charger;bonnet left open so just disconnect and go,Andy

I thought I'd whip up to VicRoads in my lunch hour .... I just went out ... crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,cr ank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,cran k,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank, crank,crank,crank,crank,crank ....

crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,cr ank,crank,crank,crank

ARRRRRhhhhh.... fun and games ahead....

The CX is always a bitch to start as it likes to crank over quite a few times... .But never for that long. I pull the starter soleniod wire and turn the key ... and can hear the fuel pump .... There's no tools here at all, just as well I work only 10minutes drive from home. I think I'll just go home and get the Range Rover and car trailer rather than spend hours tracing wiring and resistances through sensors in a carpark...

If I'm going to do this, I might as well replace all the wiring connectors again, once and for all. Does anyone know where I can buy good quality pre-wired connector blocks (4 -> 8 wire) and the plug for big blue, the tachometric relay The plastic part of the connector onto big blue is stuffed on this one (no doubt everything will work perfectly as soon as I start diagnosing 'cos I've "bumped" the dodgy bit of wiring somewhere).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I mess around with old cars because I cannot afford new cars because I mess around with old cars!!!!!!!!!!!! Huh!

PS I had absolutely no trouble with the Vic Roads people at Colac!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    Through experience mine is now permanently hooked up to a charger;bonnet left open so just disconnect and go,Andy
    Me too. Set up with a small socket that I plug into.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Icon6

Don't even start me on bloody VicRoads ... useless pack of assholes... Yes I came home without club plates again . Apparently car clubs now need any safety inspectors listed on the vicroads system. I was basically told to rack off as the car club I'm a member of didn't have the inspectors listed. I asked them:

a) who to contact
    b) where to send the details too
    c) where the paperwork/docoumention for this
    etc...

they had NONE of the above. I think the little empire builders up in the Ballarat VicRoads office are making there own rules.

So I rang the department that actually runs and implemented the club permit system in Victoria at VicRoads (yeah try finding that phone number anywhere ). There going to ring me back Monday, he assured me they have no such requirements and has no idea why Vicroads in Ballarat would demand such a thing. He needed to discuss this issue with the rest of the Club Permit scheme people in the office, as he was at a loss to explain it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    G'day,
    because they can, and you don't know better. Sounds like they went to the same management course as some Auspost [so called] managers.
    The quote of the day, 'as long as my arse points towards the ground'. Have you ever heard a manager say that ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    'as long as my arse points towards the ground'
    The lowest forms of animal life have neither arse nor mouth. They have a cloaca, and it performs both functions.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    because they can, and you don't know better. Sounds like they went to the same management course as some Auspost [so called] managers.
    The quote of the day, 'as long as my arse points towards the ground'. Have you ever heard a manager say that ?
    The best/correct response to the quote is to stand up, walk over and thank him for efforts and wish him well in their future endeavours......
    Brendan.

This reminds me of going to Penrith RTA office in Sydney, some lunatic fruitcake wouldn't greenlight my rego on the DSpecial, gave me a bullshit explanation, refused my request to see the manager and watched someone walk out of the office ready to clock him. I just said f u guys I'm driving home back to the city, regained my calm and went into the North Sydney RTA, nowhere where I lived and the nice lady who I spoke to quietly explaining that there was a typo on the previous record of my chassis number resolved the issue and within minutes was reregistered. You have to pick the moment badically! Ps bogans hate citroens!

Hello, coming from a country where a sofa or a shed can be road legal, what is all this VicRoads malarkey?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information