DS3S. Any experience with these?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerry freed

Thread: DS3S. Any experience with these?

Default DS3S. Any experience with these?

Looking for some feedback on owning one of these.

Advertisement

Which spec are you referring to in calling it an S?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

D Sport.

Ok, can't help you with a mechanical report, but can say that you might question whether the standard of the rest of the car warrants a "premium" price tag. My only warranty claim has been shrinking door window seals and consequent lifting of window frame stickers.
    Check out the DS3 UK forum for common complaints ranging from corroding alloy wheels, holes in carpets, to problems with the THP motors. How many of the early problems have been acknowledged and sorted by Citroen I don't know.
    If you commonly drive with windows down, check out the buffeting you get in the DS3 - for people used to driving aerodynamically designed cars it can come as a bit of a shock. If you need to carry loads, ensure you're happy with the way the seats fold.
    Paint is very thin (but I'm told all new cars are like this) as are some panels.
    If the purchase is actually a novated lease, think carefully about end-of-term figures - the previous importer's dumping of new stock savaged resale prices for a while.
    Am I sorry I bought my Style? - No.
    Would I buy another one? - Probably not.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thanks for the feedback Bruce. I was hoping for the same quality as my C5.

Have a look at
    http://www.fiches-auto.fr/fiabilite-...itroen-ds3.php
    where you can see that the window seals are a well known problem as was the engine chain failure.
    It is impossible to get a feel of the build quality from the various French forums. The people who post are not a statistically fair representation of the overall owner database. Manufacturers are fond of manipulating user reviews and the press is not always objective.
    That said, there is not apparently much criticism by owners.
    The DS3 exists to get a better margin than cars which just provide transport, by appealing to those who want the car to make a statement. That sort of buyer, proud of their choice and allied to it for fashion reasons, is unlikely to criticise it, as in so doing they belittle their own image.

My advice, as always, is try the car and if you like it, buy it. Overall industry quality standards get higher every day through competition.

For comparison on a sample of 1
    Warranty claims on my Honda ...................0
    Faults reported after 3 years.......................0
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

I've had my DSport since July 2011.

It's been an excellent car and I'm very happy with it, though it has much lower km than my 207. It's only on 36,000 odd km so it's still a baby. No mechanical faults, though the passenger side lower skirt needed a new clip or two once.

I'd definitely buy another one, though hopefully not for the price they charged me for the first one.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

The 202bhp, Racing version is 30,000euros list price in France, whereas the basic C3 is 13,000.

Hello Jerry. I must compare my 3 year old C5 with your Honda. Zero and zero on both of your criteria.

I looked at a Honda before the Citroens and for my type of journeys it was a bore. Very un inspiring to say the least. Every jolt and undulation on the Esk Highway is felt, just like the VW I had. Her indoors could not read or use the laptop whilst traveling. I am a recent ( 10 years) convert to my choice of conveyance ( C5 ). Allan.

PS Thanks SLC206.

I chucked in my C5 for the Honda. A car of indifferent quality is only as good as the local service support and here CitroŽn was woeful. The Honda is a bore and even dangerous on long trips because there is nothing for the driver to do - the ideal car for insomniacs.
    We can't compare needs because my journeys are mostly shopping and medical trips over short distances on good roads but with high traffic densities.
    What I now need is total reliability, not service support and the Honda provides that.

There is a certain pleasure in driving when you are in possession of road space and can use the acceleration and handling of a well set up car. Our local conditions which are similar to most of urbanised Europe is that the traffic density on local roads and the autoroutes are such that one's driving dynamics are determined by others, who occupy the road that you need. That is why they have been able to dumb down performance over the last decade and few have noticed and even fewer complained. It is why they can drop hydropneumatics and few notice. It is also why performance cars have become posers' displays because you can't exploit the dynamics off the race tracks. The Germans have had an advantage because of no speed limits on the Autobahns, but that has now eroded with the traffic density. The DS3 Racing offers 0-100 in 6.5 seconds whereas my Subaru in 1998 was nearly a second quicker. You certainly couldn't use a laptop in the WRX, the lateral forces were just to high unless it had its own safety harness.
    Mort Subite likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I also chucked my C5 for a DS3 Cabrio and yes I did the usual test drive with other brands and was not impressed the DS3 is a very nice car to drive where possible i drive it hard I have had this rocket for 4k now with out any problems driving on the southern freeway with is cross winds i have not experienced any buffiting whatsoever even with the rag roof folded in the so called boot windows up or down, my big problem is the number of people looking at the DS3 when it is parked in shopping centre, it is the of attraction as a result i notified the dealer, this little rocket grabs the road with aplomb and my wife all 45kgs of her, loves it and has NO problems driving it, and it cost us 11k after trading the C3, the other brands were not interested, and neither was I.

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry i should a said C5 not a C3, Tony

Tadpole

I have a December 2011 DS3 DSport 6 speed manual with the THP155 engine with 12,000km on it that is a lovely car to drive but a disaster to own. It has the stuttering and loss of power problems caused by excessive carbon build up on the inlet valves that have beset the THP GDI direct injection engines in all the PSA cars. It's in the garage now getting fixed under warranty. Two or three weeks perhaps to get the car fixed. The engines coming out so they can remove the cylinder head, inlet manifold and clean it and inspect the pistons and bore and they will replace the turbo which they say has been blowing oil into the engine! This isn't a car you would want to own after the warranty expires.

The DStyle with the VTi 120 engine and stupid 4 speed auto with multi point fuel injection is a much more reliable bet. The auto is a torque convertor full auto better than the EGS six speed in the new C4 but way worse than the lovely old model C4 diesel 6 speed auto which worked well. Citroen don't do autos well at all. And Engines well they do diesels well the new 2.0l and ford made V6's are great. Pity about the BMW designed THP GDI engines which have taken too long for them to sort out.

Tadpole

The DS3 THP155 is back from the garage. I have to say they may have took their time but they did a thorough job. Citroen were pretty reasonable in approving all sorts of things to be replaced but the reasons for most of them were unknown or vague. The obvious problem identified was excessive carbon build up on the back of the inlet valves and inlet tract with oil film build up on the inlet to the intercooler. This on a car with less than 12,000km or 7,500 miles on it!

To decoke it the head it had to be removed and chemically cleaned in the end. properly done but I wouldn't want to be paying for it to be done again myself.

So what was done? Well first a quick seafoam type clean which didn't work then a full removal and chemical clean of the head with the valves being removed relapped in to the head and fitted with new stem seals. All this just remedial cleaning work not fault fixing as stem seals not seen as a problem.

Lots of things were replaced. Turbo! Timing chain guides tensioner, cylinder head cover. Why well the answers were; timing chain might have stretched? The turbo was putting oil into the engine? the cylinder head cover has some PCV valves that may have not been operating properly?

The ECU was also given a software update and initialised adaptives which means the long term trims were reset to 0.
    DS3S. Any experience with these?-ds3thp155-warranty-service-small.jpg

Goodness Jonbays, your report is quite frightening. I wonder if there are similar disasters on cars with the same motor???.
    What type of driving do you do, country or city. Son who is looking to get one as a business car will be covering most of the island and wants a fun but comfy vehicle. Is there a diesel option? Our experience with Citroen's has been very good given the driving conditions over here. A city car is a completely different spec. in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, a couple of people on the DS3 UK forum had had replacement of timing chain tensioner at relatively low miles on the THP motors, and a few discussed whether DS3's were having " the Mini problem" as though there was a well known ailment in the UK for these BMW motors.
    I haven't read of any similar problems on the non-turbo motors, but then you have to have the "love them or hate them" auto gearboxes, unless there's been some recent change of offerings. I did see a DSign advertised, but would you really want a 1.2? As far as I know, we still don't get a diesel option on DS3's in Australia.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

1000+ Posts

These motors are in C4s also, as well as in 308s, so you can follow their service history in these models. The turbocharged and naturally aspirated motors have a big difference - the turbo has direct injection into the head, so if oil has found its way into the manifold, there is no fuel washing the valves. The normal motor has injection into the manifold ports at the side of the head. There are major valve differences as well - the natural breather is pure BMW. The block design is familiar PSA.

Early models (both kinds) had timing chain problems, but this area has had design changes. I have heard that crankcase ventilation has been altered to avoid the oil problem.

I've had my ds3 a whole 2 days now, got the Cit workshop to give it a once over yesterday. They seemed to think the most common problem was the carbon build up, the guy at the service department (who has a ds3 too) recons the best preventative measure is using 98 octane fuel, and giving it a bootfull pretty frequently. Loving it so far, nice to drive, nice to be in. Havent taken it for a drive through the hills yet, but cruising back to melbourne from wodonga was rather pleasent, well, as pleasent as a drive on the hume hwy can be...

Thanks for the feedback. Much of these comments confirm in my mind that there are " city" cars and " country " cars. Anyone have statistics that may confirm that the city cars have a rougher ( unhealthy) life than their country counterparts.
    Do problems manifest themselves more on the city ones.
    In other threads on this forum members have recommended extended runs to get all components up to temperature and cleared of whatever ( carbon?) buildups that may occur. Could this be the problem with the DS3 D SPORT?

1000+ Posts

This mob talk about the problem (and some other stuff) etuners : Technical File

Tadpole

It would be a bit of a concern if it wasn't under warranty and I needed a car daily for work. The car does mostly city driving but has had a number of trips to Newcastle the blue mountains etc. I think that driving habits city or country isn't all that relative its an engine design issue that hasn't been addressed properly. If your son is buying second hand and can't afford to take the risk then the DS3 DSign 1.6 MPI engine with the four speed full auto is probably a better bet. The 1.4L MPI and robotised 5 speed is also an option but not one I liked much. Frankly the DSport is the pick to drive and remains a great fun car to drive just glad I am not paying for the cylinder head decoke and rebuild.

Tadpole

My car has less than 12,000km on it mostly city but some country runs and never driven for economy at all and has always used the Shell VPower 98 octane fuel so I doubt there is a preventative measure that will work other than changing the operation of the PCV and valve timing through the CPU changing the cylinder head cover to a later model with revised PCV operation. Perhaps a n oil catch can in the turbo side of the PCV may help?

In my experience, I'd say short, city trips are the likely culprit - where the oil and coolant hasn't had a chance to warm up and the engine operating environment is harsh. Both cars I use 98 RON and the correct Total oil and change it every 10k.

My 207 GTi (6 yrs and 93k) and my DS3 (2.5 yrs and 36k) have not experienced any engine issues. The 207 in particular is an original ó with an unmodified tensioner, unmodified turbo oil line, original timing gear and unmodified PCV system (in the cylinder head cover, as mentioned) and is still soldiering on. It gets fairly regular track day use where no horses are spared. The DS3 is now my daily driver.

I fully expect the 207 to have heavily-coked valves by now, but it still drives perfectly well.

De-coking the valves does not necessarily involve removing the head. It's just a pain to get to, as the inlet manifold is at the back of the engine. Plenty of people in the UK appear to have done it themselves in the driveway.

I think MINI in the US have a walnut blasting technique to clean the valves - again without removing the cylinder head.

In your situation Jonbays, it looks like someone has taken an M1 Abrams main battle tank to a knife fight. It shouldn't matter to you as it's under warranty but I'd be very surprised if all of that stuff needed doing and in the manner that it was.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information