Traction ball joint
  • Register
  • Help
    skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Traction ball joint

Greetings,

Advertisement

Can anyone help with a spacer ring for a Traction lower ball joint - the larger of the two.

AlsoÖ some instruction on the fitting of one of the new style adjustable lower cap.
    It looks reasonably obvious, but any tips are welcome!

Thanks,

SKP

If you are to use the adjustable lower cap the idea is to fit the ball joint minus the middle spacer. Otherwise you will not be able to adjust out the wear! Be very careful not to over adjust. The steering is already quite heavy. The other worry is ovality of the ball and the matching wear in the upper cup ( the load bearing cup). You may not be able to adjust out all of the play before the steering begins to bind on lock! Ovality will also cause binding on bounce and rebound of the suspension travel if you over adjust!
    Personally I do not like those adjusters. I would rather fit the original caps.
    If the ball joint is too worn the only alternative is to spend the money and buy new ones. Your car would be transformed!
    Cheers Gerry

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Gerry. Balls look good, but we will only find out when I do the final fit. Had a VERY hard time removing them, but no apparent damage.

skp

Thread Information