DS 21 Brake Acc
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS 21 Brake Acc

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS 21 Brake Acc

Last week my 72 Ds 21 suddenly developed a leak from the brake accumulator,fortunately SWMBO saw a pool on the drive and stopped me ,it turned out to be coming from the joint where the sphere splits. As I,m not tooled up to separate these I still dont know what went wrong. I have decided to replace it with a CX acc which accepts a standard sphere,and will fit without any major mods.Any comments are welcome.I suspect that is one of the most neglected areas on a DS as there are no obvious symptoms of aflat sphere!!
    Woody

Advertisement

Certainly agree about it being the most overlooked area of D maintenance. I recently decided to re-gass my brake accumulator sphere and found that it wouldn't hold gas. On splitting it I found that the diaphragm was just black goop. A new diaphragm was ordered and fitted, the sphere re-gassed and re-fitted to the car. Have I noticed any difference under normal breaking? No, not at all but I will certainly notice the difference if I have a catastrophic loss of pressure and have urgent need of brakes. My brake accumulator has probably not been operating throughout my entire ownership of my car. Just as well the rest of the system has held up well. So to all D owners, if you haven't done so recently, check your brake accumulator sphere over the summer. Don't neglect it for several years like I did.
    74/75 DS23 Pallas 5 Speed Carby

83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Woody, does the CX Accumulator have 2 or 3 small diameter pipes?

Dave, did you replace the relief valve ball, reseat the base and check the spring tension, then test the sealing and operation of the valve?

Iv'e banged on about this in the past, the neglect suffered by the brake accumulator on the DS.
    To check operating condition the brake accumulator

start car and reach full system pressure
    select "low' on the suspension lever
    turn the car ignition off
    apply parking brake
    using a 12mm spanner bleed the system at the pressure regulator
    apply the foot brake firmly and release
    repeat for at least 6 - 8 applications.

If your brake accumulator is in good shape, you will feel the pressure at the brake pedal mushroom for at least 6 applications.

Any different result and it's time for a replacement.
    2 or 3 pipe varieties, depends on the model.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Richo
    Ths CX Acc has two small diameter pipes,I have blanked one off,I,ve extended the 3 hold down studs (M5) by 25mm and everything
    fits.
    Woody

Thread Information