2003 Citroen C5 dual zone aircon playing up.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 2003 Citroen C5 dual zone aircon playing up.

The problem I have with my C5 is that I just returned from a 2 week holiday in Tasmania, and the car battery had gone flat while the car was sitting in Airport parking in Brisbane due to leaving the GPS connected in the car. Long story short, I had to have the car jump started, but now am having some electrical problems specifically the dual zone air conditioning which works fine on the driver's side but blows hot air on the passenger side regardless of the temperature setting. Also the CD player quit playing after a while.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would cause this, or has anyone experienced similar problems? I've contacted a local repair shop that claims to know Citroens, but there is no actual Citroen dealer on the Gold Coast and I don't really want to pay thousands of dollars to Brisbane Citroen for them to install genuine Citroen parts for what is a 10 year old car purchased for $7000 and looking to be worth even less after this debacle

Advertisement

On a side note, if anyone on the Gold Coast knows of a C5 in the 2001-2004 range that is currently wrecking, please post here. One thing I need is a latch for the fuel flap. It stopped clicking in recently and I think that the latch it is supposed to hook onto has dropped off. At least I assume that is the case as there are 2 small holes in there that may have been the attachment points for it. If anyone with a C5 can enlighten me on this matter, please let me know.

Fellow Frogger!

Have you had the battery tested and completely recharged ?. Don't rely on the altenator to do the job, things won't work unless there's full voltage. Usually after a complete draining most batteries won't come up to scratch so will need to be replaced before any diagnoses can be made on these cars. Stay lucky.

1000+ Posts

Hi AusKiwi
    You might have a couple of problems here that just happened together Also check battery condition and charge properly as Shandoo said. The electronics can play tricks on C5s.

The air con problem sounds like the common problem of the flap motor coupling failure on the passenger side. There are a couple of fixes for this and they have been covered on here. Not sure if the search function is working Ok but try that and get back if necessary. I have a copy of the free fix if you want it. PM your email to me.

Not sure about the CD player but if the battery went flat and was jump started, I would do a controlled reset by putting the car into a set mode with the windows all up and doors shut and everthing turned off and GPS out and then disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then reconnect. Reset the windows as per the book. This might eliminate some glitches caused by the power surges when jumping it.

The fuel flap. On mine there is no actual latch It seems like there is but actually the flap is lightly spring loaded shut. The clicking thing is just a pusher that pushes the flap open a bit so you can open it easily. The pusher latches itself down or up when pushed. I never looked at it before actually

jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 2nd December 2013 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi AusKiwi
    You might have a couple of problems here that just happened together Also check battery condition and charge properly as Shandoo said. The electronics can play tricks on C5s.

The air con problem sounds like the common problem of the flap motor coupling failure on the passenger side. There are a couple of fixes for this and they have been covered on here. Not sure if the search function is working Ok but try that and get back if necessary. I have a copy of the free fix if you want it. PM your email to me.

Not sure about the CD player but if the battery went flat and was jump started, I would do a controlled reset by putting the car into a set mode with the windows all up and doors shut and everthing turned off and GPS out and then disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then reconnect. Reset the windows as per the book. This might eliminate some glitches caused by the power surges when jumping it.

The fuel flap. On mine there is no actual latch It seems like there is but actually the flap is lightly spring loaded shut. The clicking thing is just a pusher that pushes the flap open a bit so you can open it easily. The pusher latches itself down or up when pushed. I never looked at it before actually

jaahn
    jaahn, the search function is very hit and miss at the moment, we'll have to look into it and fix - in the meantime if you use google add www. aussiefrogs. com to your search text e.g. 'citroen c5 climate control hot cold www. aussiefrogs. com' will yield a few old threads on this subject.

Edit: I've had to include spaces in web address, remove these when searching.

C5 Dual Zone Climate Control Fault

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/foru...ic.php?t=37149

AusKiwi, if you are not comfortable with DIY, your best options in Brisbane are Euroserve or DS Motors. Both will be very familiar with the problem and fix with hourly rates a good bit lower than Brisbane Citroen.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

there is no actual Citroen dealer on the Gold Coast
    Von Bibra of 65 Ferry Road, Southport, 5561 6161 is the Gold Coast's Citroën dealer now ... or for now.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Clogzz View Post
    Von Bibra of 65 Ferry Road, Southport, 5561 6161 is the Gold Coast's Citroën dealer now ... or for now.
    Thanks for the update - must be a recent development as I have been checking the Citroen website on and off for a Gold Coast dealership ever since Cartwrights closed earlier this year. I'll have to go down to Ferry Road and check them out at some stage.

Tadpole

Thanks for the links to those other threads on this problem, Greenblood. Like some of the other C5 owners who experienced this issue, the problem disappeared when I drove the car again this morning. So I'll keep an eye on it, and if it starts blowing hot air again, I'll have to tackle it and hopefully apply the "English fix". As we're heading into summer now, no doubt if it's going to play up again, it'll happen in the next month or so.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi AusKiwi

Thanks, I'll do that.
    CD player seems OK now.

jaahn
    Hmm, maybe the spring has failed in some way. The flap certainly doesn't sit flush like it used to.

Default C5 air con. problem

My 2002 C5 HDI has the same problem of blowing hot air on the passenger side regardless of the temperature setting. It is an intermittent fault that corrects itself after a day or so, but it is very annoying if you are touring the countryside in 30+ deg. outside temperatures. I am reluctant to report this fault to my service agent for the very reason that it is intermittent. (The temporary workaround is to turn off the A/C, turn the fan speed down to zero, set the ventilation to "recirculate" and open the windows.)

My guess is that the hot water valve on the passenger side is sticking in the wide open position. But why I don't know.

And to other contributors, how do I read your suggested fixes - I am finding it difficult to navigate to them!

There's no "hot water valve". Coolant circulates always through the heater core, it is a question of whether incoming air is pushed through it by the fan, or directed around it by a control flap inside the heater box.

Each side has its own "mixer flap motor" that controls this diversion of air. They're famous for malfunctioning, mainly damaging the end of the flap shaft.

Thanks for that information, addo.
    Is it always the passenger side that malfunctions? Can the system be encouraged to return to normal by changing the air delivery from "Auto" to "high/low", "foot level", "defrost" etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks for that information, addo.
    Is it always the passenger side that malfunctions? Can the system be encouraged to return to normal by changing the air delivery from "Auto" to "high/low", "foot level", "defrost" etc.?
    You can get lucky, we had this symptom a good few years back, I set the passenger temp to minimum then maximum and then 22 degrees. The broken flap motor cog must have meshed and has remained that way since, I'd say this is a very rare outcome!

There is a factory approved fix which basically requires the flap motor to be replaced with the new improved version. Some have had success by adding an extension to the drive cog on the existing motor. Have a read through this link >>> C5 Dual Zone Climate Control Fault <<<<

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information