Have anyone got caught speeding with your classic Citroen?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Have anyone got caught speeding with your classic Citroen?

Default Have anyone got caught speeding with your classic Citroen?

Hello, everyone? I do`nt know if anyone that I was complaining that my 1961 Id19 is so slow. I have received a infringement notice yesterday and apparently I was doing 67km/h on 60km/h zone. Alleged speed was 64km/h.
    And damage bill was $180.00!
    I was just driving around my neighborhood! Not very happy!

I specifically remember the event. I was driving and I saw a one of those picture taking vehicle on the other side facing toward me. I saw something in the front of that car had flickered. I did not think of anything after that. I always thought they only take pictures from behind! I guess I was wrong!

Advertisement

BE CAREFUL!
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If you have a smart phone, donwload the speedo GPS application and use your phone as the speedo. It will at least guide on where "40, 60, 70, 80, 100, 110km/h" are on your old mph speedo.

ID19 slow ?? Mine sings along effortlessly and 70mph ... No a problem in the world I don't find them too slow at all. I imagine they'd be a lot slower with 5 full sized adults on board though.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    If you have a smart phone, donwload the speedo GPS application and use your phone as the speedo. It will at least guide on where "40, 60, 70, 80, 100, 110km/h" are on your old mph speedo.

ID19 slow ?? Mine sings along effortlessly and 70mph ... No a problem in the world I don't find them too slow at all. I imagine they'd be a lot slower with 5 full sized adults on board though.

seeya,
    shane L.
    I just remember that I had dream I was driving Id19 and trying to climb a steep hill with 2nd gear and flash back of same scene over and over again What a nightmare!
    Yes I know the app! I should put warning when it passes 60km/h from now on.
    I was using indication 40 as guideline for 60km/h but actually 40 mile/h is about 64 km/h!
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

seeya,
    shane L.

Yeah sure they will criuse along all day at 70mph. Problem is they take all day to get to 70mph.

As for the speeding thing. Its all old cars not just your ID. Speedo's were not very acurate back then. I always use a GPS, even in my 505 which is much newer than your ID my speedo will vary up and down whereas the GPS remains steady.
    Anything that has a MPH speedo your best buy yourself a GPS otherwise you'll be caught.

I didn't know they got you coming towards them either, thanks for the heads up.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Yeah sure they will criuse along all day at 70mph. Problem is they take all day to get to 70mph.

You'll have to take the ugly pink ID19 for a spin sometime. It's NOT fast, but isn't what I'd consider too slow. It's not slow compared to an XM diesel slugomatic for example.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

The 16v gets flashed weekly but I have a jammer so the poor machine thinks that I am breaking the sound barrier and cancels out . The ghost plate covers mean that no infringements . Doing over 1000k a week to and from the farm makes it an occupational hazard. Need to stealth the safari next . I know this is all illegal in the east the jammers double as parking assist
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Fellow Frogger!

I thought I was doing roughly 70kph, the speed limit on that bit of road, by travelling at somehwere between 40 and 45mph in Carolyn's 203 the other day. The funny thing was the copper coming the other way wagged his finger at me as he went past and when I looked down I was just over 45. I will will now have to be more careful if I go near a speed camera.

FLASH

Fellow Frogger!

I have a in car camera, and thanks to that camera I have a very nice vidio of a highway police car a dress up, this car was in a hurry and forced me into the bike lane, speaking with a legal eagle he advised DO NOTHING because the highway car also has a in car camera also and er just do nothing.

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry the police car crossed double lines and the vidio is very clear, the Police Car did not have any flashing lights or siren working at the time.

I haven't been booked in my classic but I have been chased.
    UFO likes this.

Apparently they have an 11% inaccuracy rate, they are pretty savage, I was done in a hire car outside of Goulburn, where I have always known where they sit, trying to get some space between me and an idiot towing an old caravan without indicators who was driving very erractically, when pulled up I mentioned this as I was fairly pissed off, told the policeman he'd better off chasing people who drive like lunatics with non compliant caravans, wasn't interested at all, first speeding ticket I've had in 21 years of driving.

JBN

I get caught fairly often in my 2CV. If I see the flash of a speed camera, I plant the foot. Having paid a premium toll, I may as well enjoy the ride. Its not like you see speed cameras every kilometre. I have never been caught speeding twice in the same day, so I figure if I have been flashed, the rest of the day is a hoot.

The problem with most people is they get pissed off getting caught for speeding. Every drive for me is an adventure. I never look at the speedo and I rarely get caught. The odds are on your side.

John

PS: I have never been pulled over for speeding in a 2CV. I reckon the police officer would thump the speed detector and make a mental note to have it calibrated when he returnes to the office.
    Whippet likes this.

I have had warnings from red light speed cameras twice when they were being rolled out so I know where they are now. But I have been booked once in my first CX. They are so good to drive with a bit of gusto, just need to know where you can.

As for Capa's issue, I don't know how you would fare going to the magistrate and pleading guilty with an explanation. The explanation is my car has an MPH speedo, and as you cannot read an analogue instrument to closer than half the reading between markers. Does the ID have markers every 10mph or 20mph. In that case you could argue that I cannot guide the car with the accuracy to tell the difference between 60 and 70kph. I once got off a parking ticket by pleading guilty with an explanation.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Been caught twice in the GS, when I was much younger.
    First one I was pulled over by a Dept of Transport unmarked car, after we'd played tag for about 15 or 25 kilometres (heading west of Brisbane, each time I hit an 80 zone I slowed to it and he caught up [including passing at over the speed limit], each time it returned to 100kph I wound the GS up and went.) Probably not being sure how much further I was going, he stopped me just before Gatton. Asked why I was speeding, I replied that I was trying to get home (about 800 k's further away in those days) before sunset and the 'roos coming out. I still find it ridiculous that travelling at over 100kph was considered dangerous on a dry divided double lane road with minimal traffic, yet later that day it would be considered legal to do 100kph on a single width of bitumen with oncoming road trains, and road kill from rabbits to 'roos scattered over the road. When I paid the fine I requested the revenue be spent on roads where I lived, but just got a standardised "how to dispute your fine" reply.
    The next time was in suburban Brisbane, half way up a steep hill. I wasn't watching the speedo, I was watching the pedestrian outside the shop hovering near the pedestrian crossing (later it was to become obvious he was watching me about to get booked by the policeman hiding behind the corner of the shop). Having driven the car for 9 years at that point, and on a street I used a couple of times a month, and planning that I might have to stop for the pedestrian, I am still sure from the noise the car was making if nothing else that I was not doing 73kph in a 60 zone. The policeman argued that his speed gun was accurate, and that as I was not looking at my speedo I could not prove otherwise. Seems that you're not supposed to look at the road and surrounding hazards, but spend your whole time watching your speedo.
    I have to admit to also avoiding a steep fine whilst driving the same car a couple of years earlier - a rather puzzled looking policeman west of Warwick didn't seem to believe that the conservative looking little station wagon could have been doing the speed his machine indicated when it had appeared over the crest of the hill, and just stood there frowning as I went past (there are times when you appreciate a braking system that drags the back of your car down when you brake suddenly, rather than the more obvious nose-dive).

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

2cv, raid loaded... 116km/h

Sent via the future...

JBN

Well, now that much of my hair has disappeared and the rest is grey, my excuse if pulled over by a cop and asked why I was speeding will be:

"Officer, I am old and I felt death creeping up on me, so I accelerated to increase my speed so that I would not die on the road".

If he insists on booking you, tell him straight away that you will go to court on this. He knows that there is no way he can read out that statement in a courthouse and keep a straight face.

John
    XM Mechanic likes this.

Only once in 2007 in my DS 21 and at a fixed speed camera of all places. How embarassing.

I have 2 cars with mph speedos (GS and ID) and I find them to be accurate: correct spec tyres seem to help in that regard. 4,000 rpm in fourth gear in the GS equates to 62mph with is 100km/h if my supermarket level maths is correct.

And yes, winding out 3rd to 60mph and throwing it into 4th will get an ID moving. I've never found them to be slow, but then again I've not driven one with a tired motor. I never use 4th unless I'm going over 50mph. I can see how perfect the boxes would be for a TA.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Yes, my DS23.

My advise is to check the relevant website to see what conditions there are to have the ticket 'administratively waived'. From memory, in Victoria, you can have a speeding ticket waived is you:
    . Haven't been booked for 2 years
    . Weren't drunk
    . Over speed is less than 15km/h, and the kicker is,
    . You admit to the 'offence'.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

With mine, no. With someone elses, yes.

I'm driving a borrowed CX2500D south to San Diego. A new Jaguar lines up on me and wants to race. Well, we never actually raced- too much traffic. So, we wound up simply back and forth, passing each other, having a little fun. I pass the Jag one final time. I also pass the CHP pacing him. Cop pulls me over, tells me that if I hadn't passed the Jag, he would have pulled the Jag over. The next thing out of his mouth was "What is this, I've never seen one before!". 45 minutes later, I'm driving off with a simple speeding ticket (he has to nail me for something- he had me dead to rights) instead of exhibition of speed and racing on a public highway.

I was pulled over twice for yellow headlights in my GS. I beat that both times by challenging the officer "point out in the Vehicle Code where yellow headlights are specifically illegal". I was also pulled over in the '63 2CV for "following too closely" to a semi, trying to get up a rather steep hill. Didn't get ticketed then either- cop just wanted to look at the car. Don't ask about the amount of trouble I had restarting uphill.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post

2cv, raid loaded... 116km/h

Sent via the future...
    Surely you should get a commendation for managing to do 116km/h in a 2cv, not a fine .... You should frame that one and hang it on the wall
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thanks everyone! Thanks for the funny interesting stories! I cannot frame my ticket as this is minor offence$$$

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Well, now that much of my hair has disappeared and the rest is grey, my excuse if pulled over by a cop and asked why I was speeding will be:

"Officer, I am old and I felt death creeping up on me, so I accelerated to increase my speed so that I would not die on the road".

If he insists on booking you, tell him straight away that you will go to court on this. He knows that there is no way he can read out that statement in a courthouse and keep a straight face.

John

I tried this when asked why I was speeding.

I said to him that he must have heard every excuss imaginable by now. He agreed he's heard them all.

I said, does any one of them work because if one did then thats the excuss I'm going with.

He laughed and said non of them work so I said I have no excuss. He did say it was a nice try.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

There's another story floating around the RCCV that makes me laugh. You could only get away with this in an old Renault.

Apparently the story goes that back in the 60's or early 70's a 4CV (750) was coming up from Melbourne to Jugiong for the interclub meeting in N.S.W. This was before radar and NSW cops used a helicopter and radioed down to the ground crew.

This 4CV had full R8 Gordini running gear and was hoofing along quite quickly and had been spotted by chopper. The 4CV eventually stopped for fuel and while they were stopped a cop car went screaming by. A few minutes later he comes screaming back, a few minutes later he pulls into the servo and looks at the 4CV.
    The cop is talking to the driver saying that a little bubble of a car had been spotted from the air travelling at well over 100 mph and asked the driver if he's seen anyone else on the road. The driver said he hadn't.

Meanwhile the second cop gets out and looks at the car, walks around it and opens the bonnet exposing the twin carb Gordini engine. He just shuts the bonnet and says, yes its a Renault and the two of them get back in there car and drive off.
    59 Floride likes this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Same spot. Took two goes to figure out where the bloody camera was hidden. Nice photos though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have anyone got caught speeding with your classic Citroen?-img_8292.jpg   Have anyone got caught speeding with your classic Citroen?-img_8293.jpg  
    Out of the 1992 Saab 900 turbo and into
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

bx IS A FASTER CAR!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information