ZF 4HP 14 transmission woes
  • Register
  • Help

Default ZF 4HP 14 transmission woes

This is the gearbox in my daughters VSX. It has started changing gears at the wrong speeds, like dropping into 3rd straight after changing to second with consequent vibration etc from the power plant. If this happens it can be kicked down to second again, or if you use the 2 position and and move to A after 40km/hr this behaviour can be blocked. Other gear change points are mildly shifted sometimes but it is the 2-3 change that is worst effected

After a long drive on the weekend I am pretty sure this is a governor fault. Aside form the wrong shift points the box works perfectly There is an excellent site that here shows exactly the fault I think the Xantia has but this for a Saab 900 which has the 4HP18 and the governor is easily removed on that box. I presume the governor on..14 is a similar concept to the ..18 and in those a broken O-ring is the cause of the problem.

Whereabouts is the governor on a ..14 and can it be removed while the transmission is in the car.

Advertisement
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger

This is worth a read. 306 ended up needing a valve block.
    https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/pe...o-trouble.html
    Last edited by David S; 25th November 2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Removed comment suggesting solution is as per 4HP18. See later posting.

1000+ Posts

There's also an exploded view of the bits in these parts catalogues - http://www.shinseiauto.com/japanese/transtar/ZF.pdf http://www.automaticchoice.com/Catalogue/zf4hp14.pdf
    Last edited by seasink; 25th November 2013 at 02:55 PM.

I wish you were right but Jason just pulled the end cover off a BX auto box and the governor is not in the same place as the 4HP18
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger

Edit: I'll stand corrected ... The parts diagrams suggests a similar layout to the 4HP18, where you can certainly get at the governor from the side. Looking at the 4HP14 exploded diagram again, it may be that the governor is on the same shaft, but reversed and possibly installed from the inside of the case. Not looking as easy as the 18, although it could be the same basic problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZF 4HP 14 transmission woes-4hp14.jpg  
    Last edited by David S; 25th November 2013 at 04:54 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Manual conversion here we come .... Go on you know you want it to finally drive decently
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

My daughter would respond: why change the gears yourself when the car do it for you (and probably better). Off to the CCCNSW meeting, I am sure someone there has pulled a 4HP14 down.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Tadpole

Greg, I had the auto gearbox on my 1992 BX TZi fully rebuilt three years ago. This included all completely new parts and a reconditioned torque converter. Total cost $1800 including 2 year full guarantee, not including removal and re installation in the car. The reason I had it done was that it played up on the Hume Highway and I had the car flat topped to our local Peugeot dealer. As often happens, when they tested it the car behaved perfectly, however I wasn't prepared to have it let me down so had the box overhauled. After 18 years and around 190,000 km I reckon I shouldn't complain. The car now goes along as new.

Thread Information