Buying parts off ebay, would these be right for my C5?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Buying parts off ebay, would these be right for my C5?

Looking at getting a timing belt kit and water pump from a supplier in the UK. Even with shipping its $200 cheaper than the cheapest quote I got here so think it may be worth it. Just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. I have a 2ltr petrol auto, vin plates has a date of 03/03 and the plate under the back seat passenger side says build date 12/02, VIN number is VF7DCRFNF76373640.

This is what I was looking at getting:Water Pump & Timing Belt Kit Citroen/Peugeot/Lancia/Fiat Gates KP15528XS | eBay

Would this fit my car?

Advertisement

They seem to use good parts. Gates is a big supplier over there, they used to own ford dealerships as well. Check their Ebay reviews? Ring them to check your engine number is sometimes a good idea.You just want to be sure you're not getting dodgy parts, but they look ok.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

1000+ Posts

Default Os

Quote Originally Posted by garethb View Post
    Looking at getting a timing belt kit and water pump from a supplier in the UK. Even with shipping its $200 cheaper than the cheapest quote I got here so think it may be worth it. Just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. I have a 2ltr petrol auto, vin plates has a date of 03/03 and the plate under the back seat passenger side says build date 12/02, VIN number is VF7DCRFNF76373640.
    This is what I was looking at getting:Water Pump & Timing Belt Kit Citroen/Peugeot/Lancia/Fiat Gates KP15528XS | eBay
    Would this fit my car?
    Hi garethb
    I have bought quite a few things OS for my C5 and other cars quite successfully and cheap too, also fast delivery from UK. They are more familiar with them over there than here. Some (most !) parts are just a rip off here for European cars.
    Those items look OK to me. The C5 2Ltr petrol motors did not change over that time as far as I know. There are other suppliers also, not on ebay.
    jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 23rd November 2013 at 09:23 PM.

For what its worth. I was in same position while ago, after Megane kit. There was general encouragement on this site to support locals.

Went to Caravelle Imports and found they were just as internationally competitive in scheme of things.

Maybe your local supplier is at premium end of market.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Fellow Frogger!

I'm all for supporting locals but when the price is close to double, I just can't justify it..... I tried about 4 or 5 places around Aus and all were similar in price. My local 'official' Citroen dealer quoted 3x the price! Aussies get screwed price wise for most things!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    For what its worth. I was in same position while ago, after Megane kit. There was general encouragement on this site to support locals.
    Went to Caravelle Imports and found they were just as internationally competitive in scheme of things.
    Maybe your local supplier is at premium end of market.
    Hi
    I too like to support local suppliers and have done so regularly, using the AF advertisers for Renault parts and for my previous BX19. Never bought any parts for them OS. However the C5 parts seem to be a different story and paying large dollars seems over the top for ordinary parts !!!
    Some time back I did a head gasket on my daughters Ford Mondeo. A common car over there. The cheapest kit I could get here was about $300++. I ordered one from a UK supplier I found on the web and it was delivered in 10 days to my door for total cost of $78 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers Jaahn

Suggest you check for the correct parts on
    Kit de distribution pour CITROňN C5 C5 2.0 i 138cv pas cher
    they won't supply to Australia apparently but they carry a range of different quality kits for the job and you can get the real street price in France that way.
    The Gates kit is heavily discounted and the price quoted is 62.40 euros tax included.
    That is the timing kit.
    a replacement water pump is 25,79 euros
    They normally deliver next day.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information